ELEKTA
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 41m 3s
Overall Rank = 6/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, jump in the shower, got dressed, and out the door.
Event warmup:

It was cold, and on the way to the race I saw 32F. I think the temp at start time was in the 38F-40F range. Of course, as the sun came up it started warming up, but the start was rough. I was going to do my normal top and tri-shorts, but since it was so cold I decided to where Steph's gloves. They were nice, since they when up a ways on my fore-arms to they held them and my sleaves in place.

For warm up I ran around a bit, then stood inside at the movie theater where the bathrooms were. After that, a bit more running around before the start.
Run
  • 41m 3s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a pretty cool start. They had Falcon Cheerleaders out there streched across the road (4 or 5). For the start they completely shut down N. Point, so all the runners where three lanes deep. I lined up on the right side (e.g. curb side). I have learned that on these road races, just like the swim in triathlons, you have to go out strong so you are not weaving through traffic. The horn went off, and I took off. OMG I was leading the pack. I led the race for the first mile. It was crazy, I had the pace car right there, and I could hear people behind me pacing off of me. Well, at the 1 mile mark that FREAKED me out, so I eased up a bit. I had two guys pass, and I paced off them. Fast pace, at the 1 mile marker the timer called 6:00, at 2 miles just over 12. I had a few more guys pass right at the break-point, but I had forgotten that the 5K runners were with us. Just about all of those guys were 5k runners. The entire second lap I was not passed, and I had the one guy in front of me. I think I slowed down in mile 4 as he started pulling away, but when I hit the 5 mile marker I started hammering it again. I tried to reel him back in, but came up 50 meters short.

The hard part came around mile 4 as that is when I caught all the walkers. I had to run on the outside, and several times almost had to run in the next lane (e.g. traffic lane). I quick call of "on your left" got them to move over.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up more. It took me 3 miles to really get warmed up, and those first 3 I had frozen/numb feet.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm-down. I filled out my card, then went back to the finish to cheer people on. I got to see Derek (ACE5880) set a new PR by 2:00, and Scott set a new PR by I think he said 4 minutes. Great races by everyone!

After Derek & Scott finished we grabbed some waters, bannanas, etc. and looked around the post-race-activity area. Good stuff! As they started the awards Steph went to Starbucks and got me a coffee to warm up. Very nice!

After the awards were given out, Derek, Steph, and I went to the Waffle House for breakfast. YUM

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to warm up more, and I need to push harder. I have so much in the tank left when I am finish. I need to just leave it all out on the course. I am running around 85-90%, so I need to learn to use that last 10-15% on these short runs.

Event comments:

This race benefited the Brain Tumor Foundation for Children, Inc.

Started in memory of William Nichols who lost his battle with a brain tumor at one year, this event honors the lives and memories of those affected by pediatric brain tumor disease.

Great technical long-sleave T-shirt!

Great race! I was looking to run 6:30/mile splits, and came up short at 6:37. Oh well, that gives me something to work towards. I ended up winning my AG (1st place), and coming in 6th overall.

Last updated: 2008-10-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:03 | 06.2 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 6/
Performance: Good
Course: Up North Point Parkway, right on Haynes Bridge, Right on Mansel, right into parking lot. One lap was the 5K, 10K was two laps. I am so glad that I ran into "Chicago" before the race, and he told me that the 10K was a double loop. I thought it was a single loop, and would have blown it up thinking I was about to be done.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-11-03 7:27 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: 10th Annual Williams's Run/Walk

2008-11-03 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1782773

User image

Veteran
Norcross, Georgia
Subject: RE: 10th Annual Williams's Run/Walk
Great Job!!  One of these days I hope to be as fast as you
2008-11-03 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA

Congrats on a great race and big time top finishes! 

Wish I had known you'd be there so we could have met.  I was there and so was Jonthan 22.

2008-11-04 5:57 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Hey man, nice race!

Fun to lead the pack, no?

Congrats on your top AG finish!

2008-11-04 6:27 AM
in reply to: #1783725

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Lisa B - 2008-11-03 1:31 PM

Congrats on a great race and big time top finishes! 

Wish I had known you'd be there so we could have met.  I was there and so was Jonthan 22.

Thanks!

That sucks that I did not get to meet you and Jonthan 22. That would have been sweet. You might have seen me, as I sort of stuck out. I was wearing solid black tri-shorts, and a black and yellow long sleave top, plus sun glasses.

Perhaps we can meet up on the next one!

2008-11-04 6:28 AM
in reply to: #1785644

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
tri_d00d - 2008-11-04 6:57 AM

Hey man, nice race!

Fun to lead the pack, no?

Congrats on your top AG finish!

Thanks!

leading the pack was fun, but a first for me. I am normally trying to run down the leaders, so when the roles were reversed it was a bit odd.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 10th Annual Williams's Run/Walk Rss Feed