Setup Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 41m 46s
Overall Rank = 257/337
Age Group = 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 28/37
Pre-race routine:

First off, I like challenges so when I herd that a new IM distance race was announced in Wilmington, I started thinking, "I know the swim, bike and the run coarse, so why not". I used to race road and mountain bikes for the college club team, and ran CC in high school, and had been riding 3~4 days a week for over a year to compete in some cat 5 and sport and endurance MTB races. So I registered in January, and thus began my 0 - 140.6 journey in 10 mths and 1 day. Exactly 2 sprints and 1 Xterra later I was picking up my packet and dropping off my bike.
Event warmup:

Not much, met Carla at the swim start off of the bus and waited for about an hour. Got the wetsuit on and we headed down to the inlet. It was cool to hang out with Carla at sunrise, kind of makes me realize what we take for granted around here.
Swim
  • 1h 00m 47s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Gotta say that I love this swim. Having paddled across Masonboro Inlet all during high school to go surfing made the first 50 yds perpendicular, cross current, to shore a piece a cake. Once you make the right around the buoy, you have to fight the current a little to make banks channel, but then you are literally off to the races. I tried telling people about the current for the swim but I don't think people really realized how fast it would be. For me it is definitely a 8 ~ 10 min current. I hit the ladder at just under 58 min, which I was happy with since, I have only swam 1800 yds in the last month due to a shoulder injury. The 300+ yd run stung the feet a little since hey were somewhat numb.
What would you do differently?:

Hopefully not hurt my shoulder 4 weeks out from an IM distance event that limits swimming to 1800 yds during that time period. Other than that it was a great start to the day.
Transition 1
  • 13m 18s
Comments:

Evidently around an hour was a very popular time to get out of the water. Plenty of wetsuit strippers and the fresh water shower rocked. The changing tent was very crowded, but everyone made it work. Got jammers off and bibs, HR strap, jersey, socks and shoes on ok. I have to say, that I am more cyclist than tri so I had to break out the Assos for comfort, 60 miles is the most I could due in the tri shorts with, um, issues. It is always fun to try to get a dry jersey on wet skin. Jogged to the bike and put arm warmers on at the same time. I had a quick chat Carla, since my rack was right at the fence. Waved to my folks on after I mounted up and away I went.

Not much, I would rather be comfortable than fast in transition for an IM distance.
Bike
  • 6h 13m 58s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good the whole ride. I had to keep the bike racer in me from trying to run down the people in front of me since I felt so good. Evidently my base layer that I normally wear during my training rides had been keeping my HR strap tight, but without a base layer, I got in accurate readings and it would not stay against my chest. Guess I needed to adjust the strap for the 15+ lbs I lost from Jan 1 to race day. Just rode by RPE and never had an issue with the engine or the legs. The only issue, was that I had to pee every 50 min since I can only deal with liquid nutrition on the coarse, HEED. The goal was 6 hour total ride time, turned out close to it at 6:13 total time with a ride time of 5:57. That means 16 min of bathroom and SN or just about 2 and 1/2 min per rest stop.

Not much, I'll take having to stop for a tree break over cramping any day. PS. Assos rock!
Transition 2
  • 12m 12s
Comments:

Kind of cool just to hand off the bike and the hlemt to the voluenteers. And one had my changing bag for me. Again, took my time, and made sure I had everything. Saw a tranning partner who said he was 5 or 6 ouf of the water, but he overcooked a corner and had a little road rash on the arm.

Not much. everything is was as planned.
Run
  • 6h 01m 34s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Run started out great. Ran the first half in just over 2:00 hours. Hit the first bridge after leaving the USS NC and the anchor dropped. Walked the uphill, ran down till the next bridge, walked up the Holmes bridge, and then ran down water st. Spotted a couple of friends on water st and their high fives helped out. Walked up the 10% grade from water to front st and ran to the 18 mile aid station at around a 10:30 pace from 13.1 to 18. Started to feel kind of light headed, for me that means I got 10 min of energy left, and decided to walk mile 18 to 19 after eating some animal crackers. Started talking to another racer and saw a couple of people in bad shape. I decided at that time I would full fill my promise to Carla and not end up in the med tent. I was going to finish, 8 miles to go and we were at 12:00 hours race time. We walked the next 6 miles encouraging all of the other racers, especially the ones we passed while walking and all of the volunteers. Ran the last mile or so and felt good doing it. It made me realize I could have knocked some time off of the mary, but for me it was not important at the time.

Maybe run more, but I just sat back, and enjoyed the experience completly. I never was in difficulty thanks to some restriant, and the 30 min I could have saved might have put me in the med tent.
Post race
Warm down:

Hanging out with friends, family and the like. Felt like my blood sugar was low and a little light headed at about 5 min after the finish, but a little food and some sweet tarts :) helped out. Gathered up the bike, T1, T2, and SN bags and had to wait about 15 minutes to get on the ferry.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe my own self preservation, promise to my wife that I was their to finish and not to race, and in experience with the IM distance. The shoulder injury did not help, but that did not limit me significantly.

Event comments:

I would have to say that Setup did a great job with this race, espically for it being it's first year. Everyone I talked to loved the swim and most said the will be back next year. Me on the other hand, I got the IM bug out of my system. It was all base training for me and after 3 weeks off its time to get back to build and speed work for Xterra's for 09'. I may RACE the half next year, but not the full.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:00:47 | 4224 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/37
Overall: 175/337
Performance:
Suit: QR -- Full
Course: Point to Point. Firts 50 yds you go out cross current in Masonboro Inlet and then hang a left to head down banks channel.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 13:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:13:58 | 112 miles | 17.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/37
Overall: 176/337
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Corse is a lollipop style coarse that I kind of like. The first 24 miles are on four lane roads with plenty of bike lane width and good tarmac. There are two RR crossing, but nothing major. If you had not looked at them before hand, the second one on the way may surprise you with the width of the track. Middle 50 miles is on country roads, and very flat. Ride from 75 +/- on in is just a straight shot back to the USS NC. to say this coarse is flat is an understatement. I only shifted once, on the last bridge into the USS NC, maybe that also comes from knowing the coarse so well.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ~95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 12:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:01:34 | 26.2 miles | 13m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/37
Overall: 280/337
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loop run coarse. Goes over three bridges, thru historic downtown and then around Greenfield lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-03 2:12 PM

User image

Regular
Wilmington
Subject: Beach 2 Battleship

2008-11-03 2:33 PM
in reply to: #1784105

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Beach 2 Battleship
Congrats on your day! Man, 1800m over the last month? Just getting into the water must have been an act of courage!

Nice RR and congrats again, IronMan.
2008-11-03 9:48 PM
in reply to: #1784105

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Subject: RE: Beach 2 Battleship
Very, very nice race for that amount of training!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach 2 Battleship Rss Feed