Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 07m 6s
Overall Rank = 299/337
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 49/54
Pre-race routine:

Really woke up at 3 am and never went back to sleep. Alarm off at 4 am, up to start mixing all my bottles. Ate a bowl of oatmeal and had a cup of coffee. Left hotel at 5 to go to T1. Pumped up tires, turned in all the bags and rode the bus over to the beach.
Event warmup:

No real warm-up, it was cold! After sitting around at the beach for 30 minutes it was tough getting into the water. Even the sand was cold walking out to the water. The mood did get better after an absolutely glorious sunrise, the national anthem and Lose Yourself by Eminem (hope that's right)
Swim
  • 1h 24m
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ahh yes, my biggest nightmare, the swim. I have been dreading this swim for a year and it was one of the best I have ever had. The current was just DRAGGING us throught the water. I think I have discovered why some of my open water swim times do not match up with what I do in the pool. I swim a constant zig-zag! I finally figured this out as I had a long line of buoys to my left all the way to Squiggly-man. I kept noticing I would be closer to some than others. This could be the effect of a new stroke and breathing on every stroke. Both of those are new this year. Good swim until the turn at Squiggly. I swam ahead too far and ended up sort of out in a channel alone with another guy who was lost. The last yellow turn buoy was on my left but I never picked up the orange buoys until they were a LONG way off. I don't think this was a disaster as my actual swim time (1:21) was at least 10 minutes faster than I hoped and 20 minutes less than my last HIM swim X 2. I never got tired during the swim and felt good coming out of the water, not light-headed at all. However, as I ran to TI I could not feel my feet. It was like they were asleep. Next time I'll buy some booties. I did buy one of the IM neoprene head warmers and really liked it.
What would you do differently?:

Work on open-water sighting/straight line swimming. Where you do that other than racing I have no idea.
Transition 1
  • 21m 9s
Comments:

This was a trip! After the 1/4 mile run (it seemed) while wet at about 48 F it felt good to hit the tent. Most of us just sat there at first looking at each other and shaking. Try putting on lycra when you're hands are asleep and you're wet! I dried off as best I could and put on my cycling gear. I used the technique of cycling shorts over tri shorts and would maybe re-think that after a salt water swim. I was surprised at how long it took but I was cold and it was hard to focus on everything we had to do. I did use gloves for the first time ever (got them on sale from Hammer last year) and loved them! They are more a wind glove than a true cold weather glove but they were perfect for us at 50 F. Picked everything up, put it in my bag, stopped by the Porta-John and headed for the bike.

Not sure here. I would have liked to have moved faster but I would rather have everything I needed on a day like we had than to forget something that would come back to haunt you. I just don't have much cold weather experience and NO iron-distance so taking my time was probably worth it.
Bike
  • 6h 47m 46s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.48 mile/hr
Comments:

My actual ride time was 6:30 and I was happy with that. Early on after we turned off of 421 onto the 2 lane roads I kept telling myself to back down. I was cruising at 18-19 mph and picking off people quickly. Stopped for the first time at an aid station at mile 35? I think. I had to wait for the Port-John but not too long and I was off. I also re-lubed at that point. I was drinking every 15 minutes from a 4 scoop bottle of Perpetuem and a 2 scoop bottle of HEED (alternating). At that time I was also taking 1 gel per hour and 2 endurolytes per hour (1 every 30 minutes). I was drinking water from the aero bottle as neeeded and to dilute what I was drinking from my other bottles. Stopped at mile 60 for SPecial Needs and got a new bottle of Perpetuem (it was still cold!) and took an espresso gel with a Bayer Back and Body tablet. I had to wait for some time to get in the Port John. There were people everywhere at Special Needs and there should have been 1 more bathroom. I think I felt the best after leaving SPecial Needs that I felt on the bike. I did a major re-lube at special needs and kept the bottle with me for the rest of the ride. After about mile 80 I was really getting uncomfortable and finally could not stand it anymore at mile 92-93. I pulled off of 421, went in the woods and used the rest of the bottle of Chamois butter. looking back now I may have been better suited to have just worn the cycling shorts on their own and changed into run shorts for the run. When I got in the shower after the race the pain was shall we say intense in that area. Though I have ridden with 2 pair of shorts before it was not with a salt water swim beforehand. I also will try another saddle type next year.

Not much. My actual ride pace was close to what I wanted but I did stop more and for longer than I anticipated. Iron distance is a learning experience!
Transition 2
  • 11m 24s
Comments:

This was cool as volunteers take the bike and helmet so you don't have to fool with racking. I ran into the changing tent, dropped the cycling shorts, took off the cycling jersey and put on the Studio7 tri top. I changed socks, sprayed some sunscreeen on and mixed up some HEED in my bottles. You may think this was strange but I did not know what temps would be during the day and did not want 8 hr old hot HEED in my bottles. Turns out it was a moot point anyway.

Nothing
Run
  • 6h 22m 42s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great coming out of T2, maybe too good. I was sticking to my 10/1 run/wak ratio so ran most of the way up the first bridge. Walked my minute and then got to the first aid station. I THINK I took some water here but cannot remember. I know I had used some of my HEED. On the 2nd bridge, I walked as the HR was getting to 160 and ran from the top to the mile 2 aid station. Here, I go in a Porta-John and thats's pretty much where my race went as well. When I came out I was light-headed and not feeling good AT ALL. I don't know still what caused this as my HR was not too high. The only thing that made sense at the time was my HEED mixture was too strong. I use 3/4 scoops in 10 oz bottles for the run and have never had any issues. Left from there and tried to stay on my run/walk ratio but the stomach would never settle down. I finally settled on the pretzel mix for the first lap and water. I think I was sticking to closer to a run 8 walk 5 at that point. On completion of the first lap I ran back into the T2 area, around the turn around cone and back out. When I got the 1st bridge it all came apart. I was dry-heaving the whole way up th bridge. I did not take a thing while in the event finsih area so the only thing tha made sense was the exertion level of running in and out. I knew then the next 13 miles were going to be fun. I did start usin oreos on the 2nd lap and they seemed to help but I never could really run any type of pace again. The best I felt on the 2nd lap was when this crazy lady runs out of the crowd on Front St, runs up to me and gives me a hug. It was Alice (love2tri) and she will never know how much that hug picked me up! Most of the 2nd lap was run 5, walk 5, run 5 walk 10, walk some more, you get the picture. I kept up the pretzels and oreos and never had any real issues but did not try and push anything. I was going to finish if I had to crawl or I would be found on the course out of it. You really find out what you want when it's pitch black, you are totally alone, you're hurting and there is 6 miles left to go.

Try and get a handle on the long course nutrition. Coming off the bike I felt like 14 hrs was going to be a reality but when it hits it hits and you deal with it as best you can on the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Could not get warm. I put on a sweat shirt and wrapped up in the silver thermal blanket but could not stop shaking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition on the run.

Event comments:

Wow. My first iron distance and I can't believe it's over. I was so stressed out last week this time it was unbelievable. Turns out the race was not bad at all but does require some thinking on your part. SetUp did a great job and the aid station were all excellent. I would have some lights coming into the finish area but all in all it was a well organized and produced even. I highly recommend it for first time iron distance.

Last updated: 2008-11-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:24:00 | 4224 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/54
Overall: 0/337
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Sleeveless
Course: Straight with a dog leg at the end
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 21:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:47:46 | 112 miles | 16.48 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat with great roads. A carpet on one of the bridges scared the crap out of me (I was going sideways and helpless to stop it) but other than that I don't know how the course could be much better on public roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 11:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:22:42 | 26.2 miles | 14m 37s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Other than some killer bridges this course was flat
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-03 11:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Subject: Beach 2 Battleship

2008-11-04 5:48 AM
in reply to: #1785544

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Beach 2 Battleship
Awesome job! Congrats on a great race!
2008-11-04 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Congratulations IRONMAN!  That is so awesome!!  I am so glad I got to see you on the run course.  No matter how you felt -- you looked great!  I'm so proud of you.  Great job!
2008-11-04 8:31 AM

User image

Expert

Congratulations!  I imagine that being out on the dark 2nd loop was a mental challenge, we noticed that with a smaller race cap you guys were truly out on your own for a lot of the time.  Sounds like you dug in and finished strong!!  Congratulations!!!

2008-11-04 11:27 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great job digging deep, real deep. You finished, and are an IRONMAN!!!!

Way to HTFU on the second lap of the run.

I love this quote...
I was going to finish if I had to crawl or I would be found on the course out of it.

This one even better....
You really find out what you want when it's pitch black, you are totally alone, you're hurting and there is 6 miles left to go.
2008-11-04 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC

great race!  Alice has that effect on people (of course maybe any body hugging me at that situation may have had that effect on me )

You really pulled through some tough times there and got the mental toughness thing going.  Congratulations!

2008-11-04 12:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC

Thanks EVERYONE!

Alice, you always have been and continue to be an inspiration.

Coldfire, I don't know where those quotes came from but I did think them up myself!

I did not do justice in the race report to the volunteers for this race. They were simply incredible to the last second of my race. The police, especially the ones on the run course, were also fantastic and supportive. If anyone knows any of them please pass along my heartfelt thanks to them.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach 2 Battleship Rss Feed