Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
Total Time = 5h 58m 10s
Overall Rank = 147/255
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 22/32
Pre-race routine:

On or about August 27, I injured my knee. Between then and race morning, I did not train... at all. A little over two months with no biking, running, or swimming leading up to my first attempt at a HIM... But, my knee felt fully healed about a week before the race, and I convinced myself that I could finish the thing, so I went for it.
Event warmup:

There were busses lined up to take us from T1 to the swim start. I found one waaaaay back in line that was idling and had the heat running. I sat on that bus for a good 40 minutes before it filled up and left for the swim start. It was cold, so I just walked around the swim start area and tried not to think too much...
Swim
  • 29m 54s
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

The incoming tide was nice. In-water start with an immediate right hand turn was interesting and got very crowded. I was able to make some space for myself after about 200 yds and I tried to stay long and smooth. I mixed in some backstroke when I needed to catch my breath but always kept moving. After exiting the water, my feet were completely numb... I feel lucky that I didn't faceplant... The wetsuit stripper guy was great; almost ripped my feet off, but very effective.
What would you do differently?:

Waited to start until about 11:00 when things were warmer??
Transition 1
  • 05m 52s
Comments:

Putting on tri-top in the cold with wet skin... very difficult.

Putting on arm warmers in the cold with wet skin... also very difficult.

T time includes lengthy (300 yds), chilly, barefoot run from swim exit to T1.
Bike
  • 3h 05m 50s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.08 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is where the complete lack of training reared it's ugly head.
The first 25 miles were OK and I held about a 19.5 mph average. Somewhere between 25 and 30 miles, my legs decided they were done. At that point I revised my time goal from 5:30 to 6:00. The remainder of the ride was spent getting passed like I wasn't moving at all. Passed two aide stations. The water bottle folks were very good about letting the bottle sit on top of their hand so it didn't rip my arm off when I rolled by and grabbed the bottle. Never tried HEED before... It was some kind of melon flavor and was pretty good. After getting over the last drawbridge, very slowly, the transition area came into view... I have never been so happy to get off the bike before in my life.

Train.
Transition 2
  • 05m 21s
Comments:

Volunteers took bike and helmet and racked it for us. That was nice.
Run
  • 2h 11m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Almost immediately I thought I was in serious trouble. The legs just weren't responding, and I was having some serious problems with my lower back. First two miles were real slow, lot's of walking and stretching. Luckily, the back pain disappeared and I was able to start chugging along. To be honest, I've never run 13 miles in my life; turns out it's quite a ways... I settled into a routine of jogging most of the time and walking for about 15-30 seconds every 3 or 4 minutes. Aide stations were good, hit one every mile. I alternated a gel/water or HEED every other station. I never had any cramping or stomach problems, so that was good. The middle 9 miles were pretty uneventful, just playing mental games to try and keep my mind off my legs. When I hit the 11 mile mark, I was at 5:42 and decided there was no way I would let myself go over 6:00. I pushed pretty hard those last two miles and got in a couple minutes under, so I consider that successful. In the last mile of the run, we went over a LARGE bridge that was several hundred feet above the water. I imagine some of the folks doing the full might have had some interesting thoughts while on top of that bridge with another 14 miles to run...

I did everything I could given my situation. I'm satisfied with my run.
Post race
Warm down:

Free beer and pizza... 'nuff said.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Absolutely no training for two months prior to race... period.

My knee feels good following the race though, so I believe I made the right decision to stop training and suffer through one race so that my knees will hold up for many future races.

Event comments:

For the first time out, SetUp Events did a great job with the logistics of this race. The only issue was the wait for the water taxi to get back to the mainland after the race. I have faith that SetUp will straighten that out for next year. Otherwise, it was a top-notch event.

Last updated: 2008-11-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:54 | 2078 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/32
Overall: 49/255
Performance:
Suit: Full
Course: point to point with a few zig zags.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:52
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:05:50 | 56 miles | 18.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/32
Overall: 174/255
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Flaaaaaat! with the exception of some drawbridges on the way out and the way back in. On the way in, the last bridge might as well have been Mt. Everest.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:21
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:11:15 | 13.1 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 0/255
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-11-04 7:47 AM

User image

Deutschland
Subject: Beach to Battleship HIM

2008-11-04 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1785790

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Beach to Battleship HIM
Two months, no training and this was your first half? Man, I think you did great! Hate to race you when you're trained!

Congrats on your day..
2008-11-04 9:35 AM

User image

Expert

All I can say is WOW for a great race on no training!!  WTG!

2008-11-04 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte

Wow!  Sub 6:00 with no training -- that's impressive!  Great job.

2008-11-04 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
ditto what everyone else said.  With no training since mid August, that is a hell of a race.  Great job
2008-11-04 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Nice race considering you had to take time off. I was thinking the same thing about the poor people that were doing the full, I would hate to do that run twice!

2008-11-04 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Great Job!  Imagine the next one without the pre-race injuries.  5:30 no problem.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach to Battleship HIM Rss Feed