Panama City Beach, Florida
United States
Ironman North America
Total Time = 12h 16m 46s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = w40-44
Age Group Rank = 39/99
Pre-race routine:

Did the 9 1/2 hour drive on Wednesday with my uncle and 4 year-old son. He was perfect in the car, and the trip was uneventful. Got there in time to get all the registration stuff done Wednesday. Did a short swim Thurday a.m. Made a brief appearance at the BT get together Thursday night. Sorry I didn't get to meet more of you, but my little Ninja turtle didn't want to stay. My parents, aunt, husband and 2 other kids arrived Friday at lunchtime. We had a nice time relaxing on the beach and by the pool Friday afternoon. Slept O.K. Friday night.
Event warmup:

Got to the transition area about 5:15. Got all set up and had about 30 minutes to spare. That was too long. To me it was cold and I was shivering before we finally got going. I sat on the beach for a few minutes thinking how lucky I was to be here.
Swim
  • 1h 24m 22s
  • 4156 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

This just seemed more rough and tumble to me than last year. I was trying to start about 3/4 the way back in the middle like last year. I think maybe I was too far up. It was crazy from the start. Arms and legs everywhere. Some guy hit me square in the face and knocked my goggles off in the first 400 yards or so. Luckily, I had them underneath my cap. Can't recommend this enough to anyone planning this in the future. I tried hard to find a rhythm, but never consistently did. The way to the first turn buoy went by so quickly. The way back seemed a little longer, but the congestion got somewhat better.

Walked out on the beach and headed back in. After we made it to the first buoy on the way out again, some guy hit me in the mouth with his fist and gave me a fat lip. The crowds were still thick and didn't seem to thin out as much as last year. Maybe this was because I was further up. There seemed to be a lot of water churning, and I think I swallowed half the Gulf of Mexico. The turn buoys continued to be crowded, but on the way in, I did find some free water for a bit. I did notice that I felt a bit hungry on the way in, something I've never had happen on the swim before. I guess I needed an extra gel before the start. Anyway, reached the beach and saw my kids and husband and the others cheering and holding there signs. This was a huge lift. Then I saw the clock. 1:24! I still am thinking there must be some mistake. I can't believe I got in that fast. I swam less yards this year, and we lost our master's coach 8 months ago. I've just felt like I've been swimming aimlessly here lately with my stroke getting worse and not better. I guess it is just more experience and time in the pool over the past 2 years.

I must add that when we were making signs, my youngest son (4yrs.) was copying what someone sitting beside him was putting on his sign. He ended up writing "Go Karah. Hard core." on his sign. I have no idea who Karah was, but hope she did well. When I saw him holding his sign on the beach, it made me laugh.
What would you do differently?:

Start farther back and take a gel before the start. Also, maybe go inside to wait until the start to stay warmer.
Transition 1
  • 06m 31s
Comments:

Wet suit strippers are so amazing! There was no room in the tent to sit down, so I just found a spot on the ground. There also was no volunteer to help, but I didn't really need the help.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 6h 40m 47s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Things were crowded at the start of course. I started out shivering a bit and cold. I was too lazy to try to get my arm warmers on in T1 and so just went with my tri top and shorts. I was cold for the first 30 miles or so. My stomach felt empty, so I took a gel right away. Then I started on Perpetuem which I used for the first 5 hours. Nutrition was good the whole ride. I only took the Perpetuem and water the first 5 hours. Then, I switched to gels and water.

There was some head wind as you hit the rolling mini hills and until about mile 50. My pace slowed in this section. I felt this sense of despair that this would be a very long ride if I felt this way the whole time. In retrospect, I think I was chilled and needed some extra nutrition prior to the swim. I think this made the beginning of the bike hard. Once I passed the special needs area, I started to feel much better. I didn't stop there again. In my 2 IMs, I have never stopped at a special needs station yet. I tend to only put emergency needs there, and luckily have not needed anything.

There were lots of big groups of riders going by. I don't know if they were drafting or not, but they do. That rough road section is no better than last year. It is always littered with yellow poofs and other miscellaneous items. I even saw a dollar bill of an unknown denomination on the road at one point. My husband couldn't believe it when I told him I had ridden right by. (I will usually stop running a 7:30 mile pace to pick up a penny.) The out and back was rough and bumpy. I love how they told me to unclip my left foot and stick it out while making the turn so that the timing mat would pick up my split. Are they crazy? I can't do that on a good day, let alone after a 2.4 mile swim and 72 miles on the bike. Why can't they have the timing mat 20 feet further down the road? It still picked me up apparently anyway. I did stop to go to the bathroom once on this ride, rather than 5 times like last year. I considered this a major accomplishment and probably responsible for my faster time this year more than anything else.

Around mile 90 a totally bizarre thing happened. A race marshall rode up behind me and gave someone behind me a penalty for drafting. They were drafting off of me????? I think they were probably just going to pass and took too long or something. I found this totally hilarious that anyone would get a penalty for drafting someone who is in 1838th place in the race.

I was tired at the end and starting to have a side stitch for some reason for the last 15 miles or so. I was glad to see that dismount line for sure. Saw some of my family there and gave me a lift.

Wear the arm warmers. I think this would have helped me for the first 30 miles. Overall, this was a great ride for me. This is the second IM I have gotten through by doing 85% or my bike training on an indoor trainer secondarily to time constraints. It is the only way I can get the training in. I don't think I could do much better with my training methods.
Transition 2
  • 03m 44s
Comments:

Tent was fairly empty. A volunteer asked if I needed anything, but I didn't.

Nothing.
Run
  • 4h 01m 24s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I do like this run. There is tremendous crowd support for all of the way. O.K., so I just love to run in general. I started out feeling good and really felt good the whole time. Ran 4:10 last year and hoped to beat that this year. Had my gel flask with Hammer gel and planned to use that, water and cola. Nutrition plan worked perfectly. I corrected my mistakes from last year by stopping the Perpetuem earlier on the bike and waiting until mile 3 to take in anything other than water. This seemed to do the trick. At first my plan was to watch my pace and not run faster than 9 min pace for the first half. Once I got out there, I just didn't feel like watching my splits and worrying about time. I just wanted to run how I felt. So, that is what I did. I consciously held back my pace for the first 20 miles. In retrospect, I think I could have picked it up after the first lap and not burned out.

The sun was bright and a bit blinding as it slowly went down. The way up Thomas drive is just great. All the aid stations and parties are fun. I had fun listening to the football game scores, high fiving the drunk crowd and seeing the girls not far from our condo. Right outside of Gulf crest was my family. My mother surprised me by making shirts for the kids. The oldest's said "Go!" The middle's said "Mama!" and the youngest's said "Go!" When they lined up, it was really cute to see. And there was the youngest still with his sign saying "Go Karah. Hard Core".

I love the sea of signs they post about mile 3-4. It is so much fun to search for your sign if you had someone make one. Our youngest had made one there that said "Go Mama", and then had just a bunch of random letters in a row that made no sense. Unfortunately, those big signs were gone before the others got there to make them. I love the part our in the park too. All the sudden it is quiet and peaceful. Then you make the turn and get you electronic message. Just gives me a great lift and brings tears to my eyes.

Felt good all through lap one and onto lap 2. Heard some great music along the way. Enjoyed the cola. I picked up a glo necklace, but couldn't get it on over my hat and didn't want to take it off. Wanted to save it for the kids, so I stuck it through my number belt in the back. Got numerous comments on my glowing backside. Started to pick up the pace after that last turn in the park. Really picked it up after the 24 mile mark. At about 1/2-3/4 mile from the finish, my husband and kids yelled to me. They had missed judged my finish time and were just walking there. I kept running anyway as I planned to cross the line alone to avoid any arguments over which child would come with me. I was so excited to see the time and hear my name-12:16, a 43 minute PR!

I felt like I had a great run. I felt strong and nurtition was great. I enjoyed the run a lot. I guess maybe I could have picked it up after the first loop, but I was afraid to do it too soon and crash.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line and spent the next 10 minutes waiting for my family to catch up with me. Didn't want to sit down as I was afraid I would get too orthostatic getting back up. Felt a little lightheaded standing there, but otherwise O.K. Went back to the condo and husband went to Wendy's to get me some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I did the best race I could with the time I have to train. I feel great about this race overall.

Event comments:

I signed up for this race the day before doing it last year. Got home and one of my partners announced he was stopping call. Then another retired. Then one got pregnant. This left us at 1/4 call and 1/3 for a while. There were several times when I seriously debated withdrawing from this race. Overall, I trained less hours, but PR'd in all 3 parts and overall. I have decided to not do an IM next year. I feel it is too hard on the family and myself. I may join back in in 2010. This is a great race for anyone considering it. Now I have to rest and then get ready for the Disneyworld marathon.

Last updated: 2008-11-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:24:22 | 4156 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 65/99
Overall: 1748/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 2 loop rectangular course with a short beach run/walk in between
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:31
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:40:47 | 112 miles | 16.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 69/99
Overall: 1838/
Wind: Some
Course: One big, long, desolate at times, loop.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:01:24 | 26.2 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/99
Overall: 466/
Course: 2 loop out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-11-04 9:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Subject: Ironman Florida

2008-11-04 10:42 PM
in reply to: #1788238

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
Great race report! Congratulations!
2008-11-05 4:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Great race report!! "go Karah, hard core" that is great- LMAO!! Congrats on a great race and the PR!!!
2008-11-05 6:27 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Congrats, Ironman!

Nice race report! Funny that you didn't pick up the bill, but will stop to pick up a penny...

Pretty good time even though you didn't get to train as much as you wanted!

2008-11-05 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Roswell, GA

I remember the sign with a bunch of random letters.  I thought it was the kind of thing my little one would have done.

Congratulations on the PR.  That run was fantastic!

2008-11-05 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Awesome race. I still am always impressed by your ability carrying the schedule you do. Self motivated is definitely the hallmark of who you are. Great race.

I took 08 and am taking 09 off from IM.. I will jump back in, in 2010. I don't see a need to do one every year. They are a lot of fun, but spreading them out a bit is the right move. I say you sign up for Wisconsin 2010.

2008-11-05 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Great job!

Balancing life with mom duties, training, medical practice with call is tough...cool that you did it and PRed to boot!

Love the sign your 4 year old made. Great Mom that appreciates the effort even if the words don't quite make sense. Clearly he was very proud of that sign.

I must of seen you but didn't know you were you.

Congrats!

2008-11-05 11:12 AM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Nice Job!  Congrats
2008-11-05 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Too funny...I saw the money on the road, too. Actually debated going back for it. Goes to show that I was already losing my mental faculties.

Fabulous race! I am much impressed by all the moms and dads who make the effort to train for something as grueling as Ironman. You rock! 

2008-11-05 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Congrats Ironman!
2008-11-05 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Well done. Fighting with your 'other' life is certainly part of the challenge. Very impressive to accomplish a great race time like yours via the trainer. What, isn't Ironman training difficult enough?

Congratulations on hitting all of your goals.

H.

2008-11-07 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran
South Carolina
Great job!!  Loved meeting you at IMFL (Melissa's party).  Your little Ninja Turtle was SO CUTE!  You could tell he had absolutely had it with the loud, chaotic, boring adults!
2008-11-07 4:37 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Congratulations on a great race and great PRs!! Your Ninja Turtle was awfully cute that night!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed