United States
Ironman North America
72F / 22C
Total Time = 14h 29m 25s
Overall Rank = 1909/2268
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 95/127
Pre-race routine:

Woke about 3:30 and ate my normal waffle with peanut butter, honey, and banana. Had a cup of coffee and grabed all my gear. Hubby was up and ready with camera in hand. I had caught a nice head cold the day before so I took some motrin and nose spray and stuck it in my special needs bag. Off we went to transition. I saw some BT'ers and some people from my triathon team. This is where one person told me some of our team members had been throwing up all night. Now, I stopped feeling sorry for myself because of a stuffy nose. It could have been much worse!!
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm up. Got body marked and then walked back to my condo for a clean bathroom. Yes, I have a porta potty phobia!! It's worth a 5 min. walk to have a clean potty all to myself.
Swim
  • 1h 15m
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was crazy! So many people at once. I started towards the back in the middle and I could not swim for the first 500 yards. It was dog paddle and just drift with the pack. Finally, I was able to find a spot and start swimming. I drafted off a big guy for a while but he had one hell of a kick. I got smacked pretty hard once and that was enough for me. So, I tickled his toes and off I went. Before I knew it, I was done with the first lap. The swim was so much fun after that. I just took my time and relaxed. I would find someone to draft off of for a while then move on.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push a little harder. But, it's early in the day and I just enjoyed it.
Transition 1
  • 09m 58s
Comments:

Wow, what a mess. People everywhere and total craziness. I couldn't find a place to change. It should not have taken me almost ten minutes but it was so crowded.
Bike
  • 6h 40m
  • 112 miles
  • 16.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I was very happy with my bike times. I never felt bad and just kept a steedy pace. I felt like I could have pushed harder but I had that darn marathon coming next and so I just backed off and took my time. This is also the time of the day when I felt that head cold move into my chest. The barky cough started so I knew the run was gonna be rough.
I was determined not to draft. There were a few packs of people blowing by me drafting like crazy. I saw 3 guys get flagged and I started to giggle a little. I got to pass them and wave while they sat in the penalty box. Then I was passed by a couple of guys from my triathlon team drafting in a huge pace line. I was pissed but had to let it go and have my own race. The roads were bad in some places and everyones crap was all over the place. You know you are in a zone when you pass a $20 bill on the road and don't stop to pick it up. Worst part of the bike for me was having to stop at the porta potty. I tried to pee on my bike but it's not something I practiced so I just couldn't do it. Over all I had a great bike ride. My nutrition plan was spot on. I hate gels and have always had tummy trouble with them. So, my plan was to save them for the run. I ate gummy bears, power bars, and bananas. Drink mix was gatorade and carbo-pro. I wasn't sure what to put in my special needs bag for the bike so I threw some salty lays potato chips in there and those were so good. Yum!

Maybe push the pace a little more.
Transition 2
  • 09m 11s
Comments:

I changed everything for the run. I put on running shorts, new shirt and socks. I should have stayed in my tri shorts. The compression was good for my legs.

Stayed in tri shorts.
Run
  • 6h 13m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was better then I thought. I started off trying to run 9/1's then it went to 8/2's then 4/1's and by the end it was more fast walk then run. Blisters on my feet started by mile 3. I thought I had sand in between my toes so I stopped, sat down, and pulled off my sock. It wasn't sand, it was blisters. So, I quickly put my socks and shoe back on before my feet had a chance to swell. I thought this might be the thing that does me in but I just put it out of my head and they found a happy place in my shoe and stayed there. I still could not even think about taking a gel. I don't know why I trouble with them but it didn't sound good at all. So, I drank my gatorade- carbo-pro mix and ate a few more bananas. When the sun went down I was so sick of sweet stuff I tried the chicken broth and that was so good. Warm in my tummy and settled everything down. I saw my hubby at the turn around and we took a picture together. I got rid of my water bottle and took some motrin out of my special needs bag. I was wheezing and coughing so much on the run my sides hurt but I never once thought I wouldn't finish. I just took my time, stayed positive, smiled, talked to people, and pushed on. I had the best ironman experience I could have had.

I really need to work on my run. Maybe a running coach is in my future.
Post race
Warm down:

Big hug and a few tears from my husband. Pizza and a ice bath back at the condo.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Head cold!

Event comments:

During training Jay and I both said we would probably never do another ironman. Now, I wish I would have signed up for next year. I will be back for round 2. I love BT!! Everyone I met was so amazing and made the ironman a blast!!

Last updated: 2008-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:15:00 | 4156 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/127
Overall: 0/2268
Performance:
Suit: Wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 09:58
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:40:00 | 112 miles | 16.80 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence: 17
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:13:00 | 26.2 miles | 14m 14s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: two loops
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-06 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
peoria, az
Subject: Ironman Florida

2008-11-06 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1791536

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
Well done! Ironman is about persevering, and you did despite a head cold and blisters. You go, girl!
2008-11-06 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

CONGRATULATIONS LISA!!!  You are a freaking rock star!!  I'm so glad you had a good day and didn't get the stomach bug!  You looked great when I saw you on the run. I'm sorry we didn't get to skip together, but with the blisters we both had, I don't think we could have anyway!  You kicked butt and I'm so freaking proud of you!!

2008-11-06 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
I think I have said it before, but here it goes one more time...I am so f-ing happy for you!!!  Wish I could have been there with you!  Yeah, even for the training too.  I miss our training sessions!  Great job Lisa...especially since you had to do it without me! 
2008-11-06 8:39 AM

Veteran
Lisa,
It was great meeting you and I am so proud of you. You rocked the bike speedy gonzales.
Rhonda
2008-11-06 8:53 AM

User image

Chattanooga, TN
Our family followed you all day.  It was great to see you cross the line.  Great training and a great race. 

2008-11-06 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
Hey buddy!  This made all of those long and early Saturday mornings worth it.  Thanks for helping me through it.  You are awesome! Congrats Ironman!
2008-11-06 10:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Way to go, Lisa! Sounds like a great day.....I saw the same $20 on the ride and had the same thought! That's so funny. Can't wait to see what your next IM will be! Congratulations!!!!
2008-11-06 1:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Congratulations Ironman!!! You did so good! It was so awesome to watch you go through this journey!
2008-11-06 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm so happy for you.

You do know that Ironman Louisville is still open if you have the Ironman Bug...
2008-11-07 8:08 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Woo-hoo!  IRONMAN!!!  Way to go Lisa.  I can't believe your times and experience with a head cold riding along.  What a time to get sick!!!  Wow, nice job!

2008-11-07 9:13 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Congratulations Its fun isn't it   It is hard to know if you want to do another one before you do your first.  One of the problems with doing a late race.  Awesoe job
2008-11-10 10:36 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Lisa, great job on the IM! You did great and have really inspired me to move ahead and get an IM under my belt someday! Still look frowar to riding/running with you and the Bulldog someday, or even just meeting! I was bummed that I missed you at the Dash N Splash, but the wife said she met and talked to you! Anyways, excellent job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed