General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Transport Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-07 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX (Valley Ranch area)
Subject: Bike Transport
Does anyone know of a good bike suitcase for a tri-bike? I want something I can check-in for a flight to IM Cozumel. Any ideas?

Also, have any of you used the Polaris bike suitcase? (picture attached)

(Polaris.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Polaris.jpg (8KB - 13 downloads)

2008-11-13 3:47 PM
in reply to: #1795719

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Bike Transport
Have not used the Polaris, but i did purchase and use a Tri all 3 sports clam shell hard case for the Great Floridian Triathlon. Unfortunately, FedEx did not get my bike to the location, EVER, and when it arrived back home (2.5 weeks later - i live in Cincinnati, OH), my bike was damaged. I'm still unsure as to whether it was mishandled by FedEx or if the case is just not very sturdy. Either way, I plan to return/exchange it.

My training partner purchased a Trico Ironcase and his arrived in FL and back home unscathed. Comparing the two cases side-by-side, I'd say his was the more sturdy (and smaller, though his frame is much larger) of the two and i'd recommend it. It comes with three sheets of insulating foam. The only thing his was lacking was fork separators (so they don't get crushed with the wheels off). You can probably find a used one on ebay for a decent price.

And, if the location to which you are shipping is a certified UPS or FedEx dealer, I'd use the one they rely upon. Oh, and be sure to get the extra insurance for shipping!!!

Good luck in Cozumel!
2008-11-13 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1807186

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

lindseam - 2008-11-13 3:47 PM My training partner purchased a Trico Ironcase and his arrived in FL and back home unscathed. Comparing the two cases side-by-side, I'd say his was the more sturdy (and smaller, though his frame is much larger) of the two and i'd recommend it. It comes with three sheets of insulating foam. The only thing his was lacking was fork separators (so they don't get crushed with the wheels off). You can probably find a used one on ebay for a decent price. 

We have two Trico Ironcases, never used them for a tri bike but they work great with road bikes.

Oh, and they did come with fork separators. If your friend's didn't they would be easy enough to make with a few nuts, washers and some threaded rod.

2008-11-13 3:59 PM

User image

New user

sorry, just re-read and realized you want to check the bike. I still think the Trico case is a good option. Fairly compact, but be prapared to pay extra. The weight, even with a carbon frame will be fairly heavy. And, after packing it carefully, security may open the case.
2008-11-13 10:23 PM

User image

Master
PA
I borrowed one to fly my bike.  It was a hard shell case that I believe was from Performance.  This was for a road bike and not a tri bike.
2008-11-14 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

x2 on Trico.  I used a smaller one to go to Cancun 70.3 this year and one of my Zipp 404s was damaged, probably because everything had to be nested just so, and after inspection they obviously just crammed it all back in and forced it closed.  In the Trico, everything is held in place, individually.  Highly recommended, but pricey.

Edited by Scottt 2008-11-14 4:27 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Transport Rss Feed