General Discussion Triathlon Talk » rotator cuff question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-05 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
Subject: rotator cuff question

Well my swimming was going great but I think I have strained the rotator cuff muscles on my breathing side.  There's pain and discomfort with overhead  motion which seems like a pretty clear symptom.  The wise thing here would be to lay off the swimming for three weeks and do some PT on the shoulder before I do real damage.  So it hurts but I'm going to do that and start running/biking more.

Has anybody had this?  I found some good PT exercises for recovery, but could use some advice for preventing a recurrence.  What are the best ways to stabilise the joint?  How about swimming form?  I know when I swam I was very conscious of trying to stay long and reaching, which is what I think caused the problem.

2004-03-05 12:21 PM
in reply to: #10706

Regular
White House
Subject: RE: rotator cuff question
I'm a paddler, and paddling is very hard on shoulders, so I spend every season toeing the fine line between rotator cuff injury and hard training.
Swimming can hurt one's rotator cuff, but it's probably not from reaching. It's probably from
moving your elbow inside your shoulder while you arm is under water. When under water and while you are pulling your arm back make sure the elbow doesn't come inside. Hope that makes sense, I'm on my way out for lunch and hungry. I'll add more after lunch.

2004-03-05 12:40 PM
in reply to: #10707

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
interesting, I know I do that too.
2004-03-05 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
TC - I had a totally evulsed rotator cuff six years ago - with comploete surgical repair. My swim goes okay and ditto on the elbow advice. I'm thinking you can do easy swim without overreaching (after a few days maybe lay off) The most helpful thing in my recovery and continuing conditioning for my shoulder has ben "light" weight training - really light - absolutely no military or inclune presses. Most helpful right now would be ver light resistance bands with elbow tight at the side and inside outside flex (lower arm parallel with the floor. But - make it light and son't do it while you are sore. Another clue - don't know your sleeping position - but I had to quit sleeping with my arm extended and under the pillow. The swim can still come - do a wetsuit and swim easy.

My doc told me that if I rip this repair, there is no more repair - he had to already draw up the trapezius to do the repair. (That keeps me training smart like I should have done before the "pop") Good luck!
2004-03-05 1:57 PM

Regular
White House
Ok, I'm well fed now
Well, between reaching and letting the elbow come inside I'd say it was the elbow causing you shoulder problems. I've read somewhere that that is one of the leading causes of shoulder problems with swimmers, but I cannot provide a link.
I don't know how injured are you (how painfull is it, loss of mobility), so I cannot really say anything along "oh take two weeks off and it'll be better", but generally speaking you don't want to mess with shoulder joints, make sure it is better before you resume your training.
Ice the shoulder first couple of days, do some PT exercises, rest it and do give it time to heal. Rotator cuff takes a long time to heal, as the blood supply to the area is low. Once it's better, add some rotator cuff specific exercises to your workout schedule couple of times a week.
I'm going to try to attach US Canoe/Kayak Guide to Shoulder Exercises to this post, it might help answer some of your questions.
edit:
couldn't upload the file, it's over 100k (136k), so I've emailed it to you.

Edited by haris 2004-03-05 2:01 PM
2004-03-05 2:23 PM
in reply to: #10707

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

a way to make sure your elbow stays where it should be is to think about keeping your thumb next to your body as you finish thru the stroke.

I hope your problem isn't serious.

2004-03-05 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH
Hey could you email me the shoulder exercises as well. I work with overhand throwers a lot and am always looking for a few new tricks to put up my sleeve. Thanks.

[email protected]
2004-03-05 2:50 PM
in reply to: #10738

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
Thanks for your help, everyone.  I don't think this become serious yet - I'm catching it early.  My wife let a similar injury develop into tendonitis and it still bothered her for 2 years, with loss of mobility.
2004-03-06 9:24 PM

Champion
I have had off and on rotator cuff problems over the past 5 years. It's been a lot less bothersome since I started a light weight training regimen. I had an MRI done to confirm the injury and was on the verge of corrective surgery, but passed it up in favor of taking glucosamine sulfate, an over the counter supplement that is a naturally occuring substance in the body. I asked my orthodepdic surgeon about it and he suggested giving it a try, cautioning that it didn't help everyone who used it, maybe the success ratio being around 25% or so. And it varies as to how quickly you may see results. For me it was 1-2 months, but I have a friend who is a body builder who noticed improvement in 2 weeks.

I'm only mentioning this as I had moderate success with it, and it is not a blanket recommendation to try the product. I would check with a qualified medical person to see if he/she thinks it may be for you. It's not a prescription item, and as always, your mileage may vary.

Max
2004-03-07 10:36 AM

My tiny bit of knowedge -- what TriMom said about keeping the thumb close to your body, plus your elbow should come out of the water first -- not your hand with straight arm. And this is another reason for learning bilateral breathing -- keeping your body balanced in its muscle use. This won't necessarly prevent injury 100%, but will help.

That's all I have............

2004-03-07 7:55 PM
in reply to: #10981

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA

Thanks for the great advice.  I'm doing the following for this problem:

1.  PT exercises specific for rotator cuff muscles (using some nalgene tubing from the lab - hey chemists, don't waste your $$ on colored bands)

2.  Make sure I keep elbow outside shoulder, thumb along body, elbow out of water first

3.  Start breathing both sides to give the one shoulder a rest (lol, or injure both)

I'll post again in a month or so to let you know how it worked.  Perhaps I'll even do more of the dreaded TI drill work...not as much fun as when I had to stop my freestyle every 25 yds.

2004-03-08 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Hey Wry,

My rotator cuffs are shot from work-related injuries. My breathing arm shoulder also gets cranky.

I have a great chiropractor who adjusts it & puts stim on it from time to time.

I also do light shoulder weight excersizes, this helps a lot.

If you do bench pressses, be real careful. Be sure to lower the bar to a point below your nipple line. If you lower the bar to a point more towards your collar bone you over-load the shoulder joint something awful!!

Good luck!

2004-03-08 9:44 AM

Good information Joe -- I too will watch that bench press.

Thanks, Nancy

2004-03-08 12:02 PM

User image

Elite

Hey Dry Wit Cytoplasm,

I developed a mild soreness in my shoulder from swimming a few months ago that I self-diagnosed as rotator cuff.  After reading in Swimming Fastest, I decided that the strain I was putting on the shoulder came from applying too much force before the "catch".  After your hand enters the water straight out in front, (I am told anyway), the hand should drop and the elbow should stay high to get the hand in position to pull.  The point that the pull can begin is called the catch.  I think most of my soreness was coming from pushing the hand down with some force to get to the catch position.  This really doen't help forward progress and it was putting force on the joint where it really was not very strong.  I now try to get to the catch position with a relaxed arm then accelerate the hand and forearm like a canoe paddle all the way to about mid thigh, finish the stroke with a hand push at the wrist and recover forward with a relaxed bent elbow.

The other good thing for a sore shoulder is to run or bike instead.  That is the really great thing about multisport.  You can easily lay off the injured extremity while still getting out to do something.  I am recovering from an overly enthusiastic final two miles on Saturday that left me with slightly sore knee.  I swam yesterday, will cycle tonight, then swim again tomorrow pushing the running back one extra day.  I am certain that the knee will be fully recovered by then.

Da ol' guy

2004-03-08 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Diddo TriMom,The best way to avoid having your elbow come inside is to follow-through on your stroke. That's both under and outer water on your stroke. Use your triceps underwater and whip that arm around following through. I also use my thumb to touch just next to my hip to make sure I'm following through.Ovetta.
2004-03-08 1:40 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
See?  I was paying attention to the life guard who was teaching me, even tho it was 5AM!

2004-03-08 3:50 PM

Regular
White House
Some more rotator cuff exercises from American Family Physician that I found in my bookmarks...
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030315/1315ph.html
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » rotator cuff question Rss Feed