General Discussion Race Reports! » San Francisco Triathlon at Treasure Island Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

San Francisco Triathlon at Treasure Island - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Francisco, California
United States
TriCalifornia
54F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 30s
Overall Rank = 188/445
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 20/32
Pre-race routine:

Left the house at 4:45 AM, after about 4 hours of sleep. I had everything packed up the night before. I arrived on-site at about 5:45 and walked down to the transition area by around 6:00. I had plenty of time to eat, drink, set up and get marked. Tired but otherwise feel OK, ready to go. A little nervous, but not bad.
Event warmup:

Walked down to check out the swim area, checked the buoy locations, walked back to transition stretched, ran about 1/2 mile very slow, stretched a little more. Started getting ready for the swim, got down to the water in plenty of time. Felt OK.
Swim
  • 14m 21s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt OK prior to the start, I got in and warmed up a little. The water felt very cold. I started to the outside and in the back and got caught in a melee. It was very hard to get a rhythm going, I got bumped a lot during the first 100 meters or so. When I tried to sight, I felt like the sun was right in my face, it was low on the horizon and I really couldn't see anything. I swam way right of the buoy, I didn't even see the buoy until I was almost past it. After the first turn I did better but still couldn't see very well as I would get blinded during each breath. I felt a little better after the 3rd buoy and actually got a rhythm going but it was too late!
What would you do differently?:

Get some mirrored goggles, get better at breathing on my left side, that could have solved a lot of my problems. After watching the video, I think I should have started in the back on the inside, I think I could have found some cleaner water there. Good lesson learned.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

T1 was good, I was happy to get out of the water actually. My feet were very numb while running on the concrete. Wetsuit came off easily as always, then put on the shoes, helmet and glasses and took off.

Running barefoot with the bike while having tri shoes already clipped in would have saved some time. It was kindof a long run out of transition to the bike mount line.
Bike
  • 36m 48s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Very cold in the beginning, I was a little worried but then warmed up quickly. The course was very confusing on the map but was marked very well and staffed well, navigation was no problem. There were a lot of hazards, puddles, potholes, gravel, etc. Navigating through traffic was difficult at times due to it being a multi-lap course. A lot of faster people were passing on the right.

Just go a little faster! This is a good course for a road bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Long transition chute on slippery concrete. I tried to remove my shoes at the dismount line but couldn't so I just ran in the them. Had to go really slow, it was wet and slippery.

Tri cycling shoes would have been nice here, there was a wide slow section prior to the Bike-In chute where I could have gotten out of my shoes.
Run
  • 28m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt very heavy in the beginning. I felt like I was barely moving. I felt better the second lap and was able to negative split the run so I think I paced myself well. This is pretty much my regular pace for this distance.

Just get faster on the run, I was passed by a lot of people, I probably lost at least 20 or 30 positions. It was nice to have the aid station at the turn-around.
Post race
Warm down:

Water and walk, light stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of sleep really took it's toll. I didn't have the swim I expected to have and I was a little disappointed in my performance and that brought me down a bit. Overall, I thought I should have done better but I'm thankful to be able to to finish the race in the middle of pack. This time last year I was just starting to run again and trying to swim 25 yards so I'm happy with what I've accomplished this year. This is my third race, I've made good progress.

Event comments:

Good race, good volunteers, well staffed and well run. It's a good event. I would like to do it again next year but I think they're moving the date from Nov to July which is too bad, there are a lot of races around here in July.

Last updated: 2008-11-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:21 | 547 yards | 02m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/32
Overall: 355/445
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course: Counter-clockwise triangular course in Yerba Buena Cove with the first buoy SE from the swim start.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:37
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:48 | 12.43 miles | 20.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/32
Overall: 125/445
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Very flat, criterium style course with a lot of turns. 3 laps total.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:19 | 03.11 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/32
Overall: 252/445
Performance: Average
Course: Flat, out and back course along the water, 2 laps.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-10 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
Subject: San Francisco Triathlon at Treasure Island
My last race of season. It didn't turn out like I expected but I had fun and learned some things that I will have work on over the winter. Good venue, I've never been to Treasure Island before. It's got a run-down, decommissioned military base base look, some dilapidated buildings and the roads are crap but otherwise it's cool. The views of SF, and the Bay are spectacular.

Edited by jeffy_101 2008-11-10 1:10 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Francisco Triathlon at Treasure Island Rss Feed