United States
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 05m 44s
Overall Rank = 61/283
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/33
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5am, coffee, breakfast, bathroom and a ride down to the lake.
Event warmup:

Went into the water at the perfect time and had a good warm up swim. I was ready for the 8am start. Little did I know, we would sit in the water for 20 minutes, then be pulled out of the water until 9am. The weather was not cooperating. I was a cold shivering mess by the time the swim started but at least we were able to swim!
Swim
  • 39m 1s
  • 1920 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first swim in the rain and I liked it. I went out easy knowing I was in for a long day so I just concetrated on long smooth stokes. It took me a while to warm up but once I did I was comfortable the rest of the way.
What would you do differently?:

I think I could have pushed the swim a little more. This being my first half I was a little too concerned of what was to come. I had a lot left in my arms.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

I decided to put a cycling jersey into my T1 bag so I would have a dry shirt. I struggled putting it on but I was already cold again so I am glad I did it. It was nice to have carpet out of the water and into the changing tent! And wetsuit strippers are AWESOME!

Be a little more organized. Weather really messed me up. Rain, cold, forecast called for 70 but never saw that, and lots and lots of wind. I didn't know what to pack and what to wear.
Bike
  • 3h 19m 18s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great for the first 40 miles. I might have eaten the paste though. After the 3 Sisters I hit a cold hard headwind and it just wasted me. My feet were numb, my legs were dead, and my back tightened up. I slowed WAY down and I knew I had a long run ahead. My nutrition was good,(Infinit) and my bike ran great with no flats! I saw about six people changing tires. A friend of mine had 2 flats. The first one he changed. The second one he had to go the aid station to get a tube which they had. What they didn't have was a pump! He waited until someone came by with a frame pump. I was thankful for not breaking because he would have beat me if he hadn't flatted :)

More time on the bike. I really thought I would feel better starting the run. Through all of my training, I never felt that bad on a brick. Weather definitly played a role with the wind and cold but I felt under trained on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

They took my bike when I came into T2! That was too cool. I love this race. They had my bag ready and I ran into the changing tent. I sat down and it hit me. They had heaters in the tent. It was so nice and warm. I had to get the hell out of there or I wouldn't leave! Changed into a dry fit shirt, shoes and hat and was off.

nothing
Run
  • 2h 03m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt terrible the first 3 miles, cold and stiff. My knees were screaming and I just couldn't open my stride. I just settled in and kept pushing. There were some good hills but a nice course. The volunteers were just amazing. From the start to the finish, they were top notch! Aid stations every mile were stocked to the hilt and they were all just great. I was truly impressed. I kept looking at my watch saw that I would at least break 2 hours on the run. Little did I know I would miss the freaking finish line. I am not sure how it happened but the guy behind me did the same thing. Wasted about 3-4 minutes trying to find my way back. It was 2 loops for the full and I just continued on. Cost me about 5 places and the 2 hour run. I am still mad at myself for that. I still would not have broke 6 hours but I would have been closer :) My wife, kids and friends saw me go by and thought "where is he going?". I blame hypothermia. My wife dragged my 5 and 3 year old around the course and cheered me on from a bunch of spots. She had an endurance day too. She's the best.

More prep on the bike. My knees were beat up and legs were dead. This was not a good run for me but I am excited about finishing this tough course on a tough day.
Post race
Warm down:

waited for a couple of friends to cross, ate, and walked around a little. Then more food, BEER, and another walk. Had the family so was not able to get a massage. The beer tasted really good though. The Post Race area was head and shoulders above anything I had seen before. First class all the way.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold, wind, bike in that order. This was my first half and I learned a lot. I was under my goal time and have some knowledge to build on. Great day!

Event comments:

Fantastic race. Ran well, organized, great swag, great food, and just a great feel. I even got to stand in the water with Chris McCormack (saw him once more on the bike). He won my age group, I almost had him though :) This is not however an easy course. Hills, hills and wind every year. It was a great challenge and I am glad I did it.

Last updated: 2008-03-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:01 | 1920 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/283
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: Straight out 900 yards, left turn for about 400, another left and straight back in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:19:18 | 56 miles | 16.86 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: First 40 miles were rolling hills on a smooth course. Some good climbs mixed in though. At mile 40 you run into the The Three Sisters. Three short steep climbs, just enough to burn the legs, then there is a long slow climb to about mile 50. Rolling hils again into T2.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:03:17 | 13.1 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: up then down, up again and down again, Frank (race director) you are a sick man.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-11-10 1:30 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Subject: Silverman - Half Iron

2008-11-10 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1799914

User image

Subject: RE: Silverman - Half Iron
Wow, great time for you first half at a notoriously hard course made worse by the weather!  Awesome job
2008-11-10 4:01 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO

great job in tough conditions, hopefully one day i'll make it out to this race its been on my list for a few years now.  congrats on your finish!

2008-11-10 5:27 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Fantastic race. It's a really tough course, great job.
2008-11-10 6:42 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Congrats on a good race!   Seems like Vegas likes to pick out a few good weekends for windy and cold weather...the Las Vegas Marathon and the Silverman.    But for all those who came from out of town, feel free to come back and visit, we've got great weather the other 50 weeks. 

Edited by toddg 2008-11-10 6:43 PM
2008-11-10 10:06 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
The bike path after the 3 sisters was just miserable.  I'm just glad we got to swim!!  Great time, congrats on a fantastic first HIM!!! 

2008-11-10 11:16 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Thanks everyone.  Funny, it just never rains in Vegas! 
2008-11-11 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1801160

User image

Sensei
Sin City

cbarnes1 - 2008-11-10 9:16 PM Thanks everyone.  Funny, it just never rains in Vegas! 

I KNOW!!!

Worst day of the week, weather wise.  GREAT job prevailing over the course and conditions!  Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverman - Half Iron Rss Feed