General Discussion Race Reports! » Paul Reese Memorial Clarksburg Country Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Paul Reese Memorial Clarksburg Country Run - Run20 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Clarksburg, California
United States
Fleet Feet
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 42s
Overall Rank = 23/366
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 9/58
Pre-race routine:

Arrived about an hour early so we could avoid the traffic. Had two toaster waffles and a few bites of a power bar since this race has a late (9am) start time. Hung out and talked to everyone until it was time to head to the start.
Event warmup:

Easy jog to the start.
Run
  • 2h 26m 42s
  • 20 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

This race was my pre California International Marathon(CIM) test. My goal was to race at near marathon pace to see how I would feel after 20 miles to see if Boston qualifying is an option (3:15 time, 7:26 pace). I was a little nervous about this race, last year I just couldn't hold my pace and wound up way off the mark for Boston. I have a tendency to go out too fast and fade at the end on my long runs. With a half marathon PR two weeks ago at a 7:11 pace I was confident I could race a 7:26 pace and feel fine at the end. The big question and cause for concern was could I hold myself to a 7:26 pace by myself for the whole 20 miles?

Good news/bad news.
I finished 18 minutes faster than last year and had an average pace of 7:20. Finished 23 overall and 9th in my age group. All good news and certainly validates all the training I've put in for CIM. But I didn't walk away from this race feeling like finishing CIM in 3:15 is in the bank. The last two miles felt like a struggle and definetly left me wondering whether or not I will be able to hold that pace for 6 more miles. On the plus side I feel that I ran a smart race I watched my pace the whole way and kept myself from going faster than I needed to. I guess we'll see December 7th!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing I followed my race plan. I drank at every aid station and a little in between when I felt like I needed it. I never felt like I was under hydrated. I had a gu at every 4 miles so that my legs wouldn't start to feel like blocks, which seemed to work.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for quite a while. Drank a red bull, ate the pasta meal they provided and lots of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing that I can think of. I ran a good smart race and I don't think I should have gone faster considering my marathon goals.

Last updated: 2008-10-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:26:42 | 20 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/58
Overall: 23/366
Performance: Good
#1 7:09 #2 7:16 #3 7:24 #4 7:17 #5 7:13 #6 7:19 #7 7:20 #8 7:24 #9 7:19 #10 7:19 #11 7:20 #12 7:16 #13 7:28 #14 7:19 #15 7:30 #16 7:26 #17 7:20 #18 7:25 #19 7:30 #20 7:15
Course: FLAT!! This course is flat except for two areas where you have a very short climb up onto a levee road. The road surface is not great, a lot of chips, minor potholes, and significant crowning. Keep to the center of the road as much as possible.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-11-10 1:44 PM

User image

El Dorado Hills (Sacramento), California
Subject: Paul Reese Memorial Clarksburg Country Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Paul Reese Memorial Clarksburg Country Run Rss Feed