Out Loud Productions
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 53m
Overall Rank = 10/240
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up way too early.. 3:13 and ate a bit then got ready, loaded up and took off.
Event warmup:

Shivering.
Swim
  • 32m 59s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was really swimming good the first 500-800 or so. Then I got a sick feeling and could never shake it. I did throw up a bit, not much of a spew but it did make feel a bit better. :) I was actually surprised I wasn't too far off my target. Going by how I felt during the swim I was expecting much worse. :)
What would you do differently?:

Not sure.. Just felt like crud half way through.
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Had to run a bit from the water, but what slowed me down was messing with arm warmers. I should of rolled them up, but I didn't think about it before hand. So I fumbled with them for 20s or so then just gave up and took off.

Skip the arm warmers. :)
Bike
  • 2h 35m 48s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Nothing really went wrong with just the bike leg, but nothing really clicked either. Well my power bar was solid from the cold, so I couldn't really get it off my frame.

I knew before hand the wind was going to screw us over. It was going to pick up about the time we turned around into it. We would also get no benefit of it going out since most of the way out is in thick woods, while coming back it's much more open.

As far as the actual riding goes. After I finally warmed up, I was just steady never really pushed, but didn't feel like I could of pushed much. I stood up for some hills, sat and spin on some. Kinda boring ride, passed a lot of people.. never got passed. Saw Michelle LaBlanc flying the other direction.. that girl can effing ride!

So besides not taking in enough.. anything during the ride it was uneventful.

Take in a lot more so I'm not screwed for the run. :)
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Bit slow.. but then again it's a HIM. Had some trouble getting shoes on. Minor things in a 4-5 hour race though..
Run
  • 1h 40m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

It's obvious now looking back, I took in just a little more than I do for a olympic/quarter on the bike for this race. Obviously no where what I need for a Half Iron Man. So we start off and it's flat, I feel good and easy. Then we turn and hills come, no big deal, I was thinking. Then we hit a small down hill and that was that. I cramped up horribly. Luckly the aid station was right there, I trotted in, walked, drank, drank some more, walked a bit more then stretched a bit, walked a lil more than trotted to the next aid station a mile away. So I got to mile 2 still cramping took in some more gatorade and then started to 'run'. After the 3rd aid station I was able to run with out cramping on every hill or turn, but wasn't able to hit my pace yet. By mile 5 I was going pretty well and was keeping William in check. I had given him too many chances to catch me already, no more! Oh.. atleast I thought it was going to be smooth the rest of the race.

So it's just past mile 6, going decent and actually enjoying the run quite a bit. The course turns a lot, but the miles were starting to fly by. Then right around the half way point(I think?) I followed a arrow that pointed me the wrong way. :) So I was running along, passed a aid station and 1 person at a turn, they said nothing. Then someone went YOUR GOING THE WRONG WAY. I didn't even believe them, I was like are you sure? they said YES!!! So I cursed a bit, not at them, just in general because I knew William(triritter) was now probably ahead of me. So I was running back towards the right path when I saw what looked like William passing where I turned off! So I get back on the right path and William is probably 400m-500m up the road? My Memory is all fuzy. But it was close enough to where I still had hope of him dying, me going strong and able to make the catch. Next 3-3 1/2 miles I kept the distance about the same. Brought it back a bit, but then would lose a bit. So I was going no where. Had one more little cramp issue on a longer down hill and he pulled a bit more on me and that was that. He wasn't coming back to me in the next 3 miles.

The last 2 miles were the longest miles I've probably ever ran, the last mile was pretty brutal. But I think I enjoyed that last mile anyway.

Well besides staying on course.. just take more in on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down? Pizza.

Got to talk to William after the race, ends up he is a cool guy and can't wait to beat him next time. :) Would be nice if he was down here, I think we would be perfect training partners. Closely matched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition. :)

Event comments:

Awesome race! It's a bit of a low key race with a awesome course, though a bit hilly.

Last updated: 2008-10-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:59 | 2112 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/16
Overall: 0/240
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Wet Suit
Course: You headed out to a turn buoy then went a long way along the lake till you turned back to land(point to point swim)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:35:48 | 56 miles | 21.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 7/240
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: It's basically a loop course.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:40:52 | 13.1 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 0/240
Performance: Bad
mile 1-5 SLOW mile 6-11 FAST mile 12-13.. slow
Course: Lots of Turns.. till the last 3 miles where it's just wide open stretch of nothing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-10 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: Iron Star Triathlon

2008-11-11 9:32 AM
in reply to: #1800213

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: RE: Iron Star Triathlon
Dude, with all the nutrition issues, you still kicked some butt! Top 10 over all and podium in age group. That's great! You are definitely a force to be reconed with! Keep up the good work!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Star Triathlon Rss Feed