Mountain Man Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 28s
Overall Rank = 31/124
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/18
Pre-race routine:

A LOT OF THIS IS MEANT TO BE SELF-DEPRICATING. PLEASE DON'T THINK I DIDN'T HAVE A GREAT TIME!!! I AM DEFINITELY HOOKED ON TRI!!

First race ever. Here's what I did (I hope this doesn't become my routine):
-Sleep like a baby (wake up every 45 minutes and cry)
- Mild panic attacks from 0530 to race start because of fear of OWS
- Breakfast of Oddwala peanut bar and Special K breakfast bar in the dark so I didn't wake up my family in the hotel
- Spend next 45 minutes in bathroom evacuating breakfast
Event warmup:

Run for 10 minutes, light stretching

- Start to put wetsuit on.
- Realize running shorts are still on over tri suit but under the wetsuit
- Take off wetsuit, followed by running shorts
- Put wetsuit on
- Realize I didn't use body glide
- Take wetsuit off for second time
- Seriously consider not using wetsuit. Come to my senses after testing water
- Finally get wetsuit on with appropriate anti-chaffing product, etc.
- Convince myself that this is somehow the fault of the new Gatorrade I'm drinking and not nerves

Swim about 80 strokes and just hang out in water.
Swim
  • 13m 30s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

OK, the good folks at Blue Water Triathlon really need to take a look at their online and on-sight maps. They showed a swim more downstream than across the river. This came as a pretty big shock to me as I was expecting to stay within 50' or so of the banks. I managed, but was not happy about it when I figured it out the day before.
I know I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold, but I have this to say: 74 degrees, my ass!!! I'd practiced a couple of OWS at Lake Mead in Vegas where the water temp was 70 and could hardly breathe because the cold took my breath away for the first 10 minutes. I finally figured out it was the cold and not fear of drowning on my last practice session, and knew I just needed time to get acclimated to the water. But, hey Blue Water is going to be a lot warmer, right? I think they need to check the calibration on the thermometer they used, cause it was COLD!!!!!
The start went okay as I tried to let most people go in front of me. Imagine my surprise when I know had to pass a bunch of them as they were slower than even I was. Yes! I am a racer!
After I got across the river and made the turn, the sun was in such a position that I couldn't sight at all. I picked out some people in front of me and just hoped they were going in the right direction. At this point, Reason decided it needed a little break and it left Instinct in charge for a while. I literally ran into the second buoy. After that, I did okay, if by okay you understand it to mean damn near got lost trying to find the channel I'm supposed to go in.
Eventually, Reason returned and asked my now waterlogged brain why we weren't just following the coast which was visible on every other breath (i.e. to the right of me). I dismissed Reason for the rest of the race for being a smart-ass and decided I would just power through this.
What would you do differently?:

Anti-fogging spray for my goggles (or just spit in them) and more practice in OWS.
I think I could have gone faster but was just concentrating on staying in a good comfortable rhythm.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

I've seen monkey s%&^ fights at the zoo that had more organization and dignity than my first attempt at transition. I had to sit down to get the wetsuit off, was dizzy, almost knocked over the entire rows bikes, dripped water on everything including my iPod, and generally flailed about for the better part of two and a half minutes.

Practice jumping on bike and riding without socks so I can skip that step in transition. Also, general practice at getting out of the wetsuit quickly. Graceful can figure itself out
Bike
  • 26m 31s
  • 15 kms
  • 33.94 km/hr
Comments:

Rough doesn't begin to describe this. I've had pinch flats before, but I never thought it would be a foregone conclusion regardless of tire pressure. I seriously wished I'd had a mountain bike.
After a big hill into the RV park, you had to go over 5 speed bumps!!! Speed bumps, are you kidding me? Some folks were proficient enough to do little bunny hops at speed over them. I was not, and it absolutely killed my momentum. Then the road along the river really needed to be repaved, but was nothing compared to the train-track-like feeling I got going up the hill to the highway.
The good news was, I did pretty well on this course. I only got passed by one person and I'm pretty sure he wasn't in my age group. I went fairly had on all sections and was able to pass a bunch of folks. I tried to say encouraging things, but because I hadn't been drinking enough, I'm pretty sure the only thing that came out was undistinguishable grunts which could be interpreted as anything from great physical exertion to pass the person in question to a request for soup.
Somewhere around the second lap, the wind really kicked up and played havoc with me. How can you have the wind in your face on three of four legs of a rectangular course?!?!?! And a direct cross wind on the other leg?!?!?!

More time on bike and some hill work
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Well, at least I didn't break anything falling off the bike at the mount line.

Thank God for Yanks laces

I've got to learn to take my feet out of my shoes and do that side saddle dismount thing.
Run
  • 23m 49s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow, do I suck. No, seriously this is my worst discipline. I'm starting a run-focused program tomorrow.
First part of course was tough as it was uphill and into the wind. It took a while to get my legs under me, and the hill / wind weren't helping. Took 10 minutes for first mile and then negative splits from there. Passed a couple of people, but got passed by one dude in my age group. Just couldn't keep up with him. Probably could have pushed harder.

More time on speed work during training so I can get my times down.
Post race
Warm down:

Does collapsing on the grass in the fetal position and muttering about wanting my mommy count as a warm-down?

I walked for a little and got some water and fruit from the volunteers. Then I packed up transition and watched / cheered other folks until my heart rate was under control.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ten pounds too heavy and 18 years of smoking (which I quit a month and a half ago!)

Event comments:

I definitely am going back and would recommend this to anyone. What a great time!!

Last updated: 2008-10-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:30 | 600 meters | 02m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/18
Overall: 30/124
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca rental
Course: Triangular shaped across Colorado River and then back through a small channel to the boat ramp / transition area
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:26:31 | 15 kms | 33.94 km/hr
Age Group: 6/18
Overall: 29/124
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Uphill to beginning of laps. Two laps through an RV park, along the river, and up the highway back to the lap start Downhill to transition. I don't think this was really 15 K.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:49 | 02.5 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/18
Overall: 45/124
Performance: Below average
Course: Off road for first mile (Up hill and very rocky), meet with main highway, then back trough RV park, and then another half mile to the end.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-10 6:10 PM

User image

Prattville
Subject: Blue Water Tri

2008-11-10 6:41 PM
in reply to: #1800615

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Blue Water Tri
Congrats on finishing the event.   I was in the long distance.   I think I agree with you on the water temperature being colder than indicated.   Wasn't bad after the first 5 minutes, but definately seemed colder than the 73 degrees stated.  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blue Water Tri Rss Feed