Las Vegas, Nevada
United States
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 85/283
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Went to Starbucks at 5:00 and ate my regular meal...double tall SVL with 2sl and low fat blueberry muffin; waited 30 minutes and then drove out to the lake; met some friends, walked around, body marked, checked the gear; watched the beginning of the full IM start
Event warmup:

regular warmup routine + 1 gu; swallowed some water then went out to line up for the event; given the cold temperatures and the distance I decided not to get into the water to warm up - I figured I had a mile to swim to get warm. This turned out to be one of the best decisions I made all day because about 5 minutes after we were supposed to start there were rumblings about possibily cancelling the swim. About 10 minutes later they were pulling everyone out of the water. A few minutes after that they called everyone into the changing tents because of the storm. We waited around and then at about 9:00 we all walked back down to the water to start the swim. (Oh I forgot to mention that while waiting my family hijacked Chris McCormick and took photos with him.)
Swim
  • 38m 23s
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was great. I felt relaxed and swam my pace. I drafted well and felt I conserved alot of energy. I never really pushed too hard and when I got out of the water I felt fresh.
What would you do differently?:

Draft earlier. I probably went the first 200 without a draft but it took that long to get everyone sorted out.
Transition 1
  • 04m 9s
Comments:

Way too long in transition. The weather was variable so I overpacked my transition bag which turned out to be a huge mistake. The wetsuit strippers were awesome and the volunteers in the changing tent were great. I put toe covers in my bag, which despite the time it took to put them on, was a huge advantage for me because I always get cold on my feet first.

Not pack so much crap in my transition bag. Put the arm warmers on to my wrists and worry about pulling them up after I started the bike. (btw this is difficult to do when you're wet) Eat a power bar or energy bar in transition...this would have helped save me from the cramping I would experience later.
Bike
  • 3h 34m 4s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.70 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was tough...it was raining when I started and I was scared with the new race wheels when going down hill. I felt great the first 15 miles until I realized I really had to pee and was cramping up. I stopped drinking thinking I would get to the next aid station and pee...big mistake because this added to my cramping problem later. I clearly did not take enough fluid and replacement during the bike which really hurt me on the run. The headwind was aweful the last 10 miles or so and my race became more about finishing and less about time at this point. I knew the course so had no excuses for such a craptacular bike. My nutrition plan stunk too.

Not stop to pee 20 miles in (but without stopping I would have never finished this race). Stick to my nutrition plan...practice, practice, practice climbing hills...
Transition 2
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

Again, way too long in transition...I had to change socks given the enormous blister on the back of my leg from 3 weeks ago. I knew I had to wear socks for the run or I was never going to make it. It took forever to change clothes and get organized. Again way too much stuff in my transition bag.

Not pack so much crap and be better organized. Practice transitioning which is clearly a weakness.
Run
  • 2h 00m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I was cramping so bad by mile 4 of the run that I was just happy to finish. The course was tough but I have run it several times and have no excuses for such a terrible run time (this is my slowest time on this course EVER).

Bricks, bricks, bricks. Lack of long brick work impacted my finish big time. I need to practice nutrition from bike to run as the cramping really hurt my times.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with my family waited for friends to finish and drank BEER!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor nutrition which suprisingly was the one thing I felt confident about going into the race.

Event comments:

I am in for this race again next year as I am completely disappointed with my times. However this was my first HIM and I learned alot. I will make lots of changes for CA HIM for sure. I love this event and after watching it for the last 3 years, I was so happy to finally be a participant. The course is challenging and Frank makes sure to add a little extra challenge with the weather every year (I'm not sure how he does that). This race has me hooked. I will be back again next year to break 6:00 hours.

By the way, there are no better volunteers in the world than those who support this race. They stood in the rain, cold, wind and downright downpour yesterday to support this event. They are nothing short of awesome and really make this event worth coming back for.

Last updated: 2008-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:23 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 0/283
Performance: Good
Suit: X-Terra
Course: Triangular out and back course
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:09
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:34:04 | 56 miles | 15.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Rolling hills
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:53
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:00:49 | 13.1 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/
Performance: Below average
Course: Hilly with good downhills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-11-10 6:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: Nevada Silverman Triathlon

2008-11-10 10:14 PM
in reply to: #1800663

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Subject: RE: Nevada Silverman Triathlon
It was a tough day out there.  Great job!!!
2008-11-11 2:14 PM
in reply to: #1801098

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Good job out there!  Nasty conditions for sure.

I got a little spooked going downhill too with the winds, rain, and slick pavement.  I know how you feel.  I heard somwhere on the course you guys had to wait around for an hour to swim.  That must have been TOUGH...

Again, great work!

2008-11-13 12:36 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana
Congrats on finishing a very tough course in less than ideal conditions!
2008-11-14 8:05 PM

User image

Elite
I just saw your report Molly. I was looking forward to it. You did great out there. Seemed like some pretty rough conditions. 2009 is going to be great.
2008-11-16 10:10 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Great job!

Finishing your first HIM is big and the conditions and course made it more challenging.

Next year IMC right? I'll see you there

2008-12-01 10:10 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Molly - Just saw this now, great job you have progressed nicely in 2008.

You need to get on top of your nutrition for Canda next year a mistake this early on the ride in an IM will effectively mean you will end up walking the entire run.

Great job and lookuing fwd to meeting you at Canada!!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nevada Silverman Triathlon Rss Feed