Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Hey all you BT Teachers... Need some advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-11-11 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
Subject: Hey all you BT Teachers... Need some advice

I am strongly contemplating career change.  I enjoy what I do now, and I have a very sweet setup, but that same sweet setup has me basically dead-ended.  Let me 'splain:

I work from home most of the time, doing market research for an apparel retailer.  I have a boss and that's it for my department.  My office is over 1.5 hours away from here.  I've been doing what I do for over 10 years now... it's interesting, and the projects are varied, and it was fabulous while I've had young children (flexible, project based, etc.), but I sat down a few weeks ago and tried to think about what I want out of my career long term and realized I have no change options.  I can't switch departments because nobody else will want a remote associate.  I can't really move up because there's nobody else to manage, and remote management probably wouldn't be an option anyway.  The nature of my work means that I'm highly strategic - I provide a lot of advice for change, but don't always see it happen, and being remote has decreased how often I'm brought into the loop (out of sight...).  I don't worry for my job (much), but I also started to think "do I want to be doing this for 20 more years?" and I shudder at the thought.  I also have a bit of an altruistic streak in me, and I find myself thinking "Is this all I'm going to give?  I'm going to make money for somebody selling clothes? Really?"

So I began to take inventory of what I like about my job, and what I like in my "outside of work" job.  And I began to revisit an idea that I've had off and on for 15 years now of going back and getting a teaching degree.  The things I love about my job are - presenting information to people in a way that is easily grasped, helping people see the big picture, providing insight.  Writing and analyzing.  I have a bachelor's in History and Economics, so you can see how that all works. 

Over the past 2 years I started coaching volleyball for middle school kids, and I love it.  I love watching the kids learn and grow, I love helping them work together to do something better, I love being involved in their lives.  This last year I think I really may have made a difference in the lives of a couple of my girls... they were heading in wrong (middle school) directions, and I think I helped them find something valuable inside themselves... potential to be more than they thought they could. 

Anyway, I keep coming back to this and thinking... should I teach?  I worry.  I'm not the most patient, particularly with people who don't put forth any effort.  I also have a tendency to get too attached - it might be hard for me not to put too much of myself on the line.  I am in outstate MN, where there actually is no shortage of folks looking for teaching jobs - what if I finish this and can't find work???  What if I burn out?

But I think... I think... I might want to do this.  I've looked into it and there's a remote program I could take to fast track to a secondary teaching certificate in about 2 years. 

So here's what I'm asking:  I'm looking for any teachers who have opinions on what you love and hate about teaching, teaching as a second career, teaching secondary school, etc.  Any suggestions or thoughts on things I should do as I begin this process.  Lay it on me, BT!

2008-11-11 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1801497

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Subject: RE: Hey all you BT Teachers... Need some advice
I briefly considered teaching after I decided to change careers. The problems that I knew I wouldn't be able to deal with is the current trend towards teaching for the test that teachers are forced into. I also worried about the pay and the parents - I can't deal with parents who won't let their kids take responsibility for their mistakes.

I ended up in HR. I get to help people, and I am in a position to do some training. Yeah, there is mindless paperwork at times, but you have to take the good with the bad.

ETA: Correction. I didn't "end up in HR" - poor choice of words. I CHOSE HR after lots of thought and research. So far I like it, despite the paperwork and the generaly dislike of HR professionals from MBA types. (ZING!)

Edited by D.Z. 2008-11-11 10:11 AM
2008-11-11 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Central, IL

My wife just started working as a Special Ed. aid.  She loves it. 

Maybe you could work as a tudor, aid, or emergency sub and "just stick your toe in the water" to see how you like it.   A lot of school districts will let you do some of this with a BA or BS. 

Wishing you the best! 

2008-11-11 10:08 AM

User image

Elite

See if you can spend as much time in a classroom to see if it is something you would want to do. A lot of times it is "glamourized" due to our impression as a child.  Summers off? Done at 3?  Recess? Why not?

Its not, its a lot of extra hours and stress.  There is huge teacher turnover...and the reason is all the testing and new methods that constantly keep being created. 

But, there are lots of places for you to find a niche.  I have been learning I am an elementary person.  I have been a Kindergarten, 4th, and now a science/PE teacher.  There are many different scenarios for you to choose from, spend as much time in a school before jumping in.  Remember there is public vs. private, high school vs middle vs. elementary.  

2008-11-11 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
This is something that I've been considering for a while...might be something you'd be interested in? (note the ap deadline for this year is Jan 9)
http://www.teachforamerica.org/index.htm

As a kid who grew up in a city school district, the "cause" is close to my heart.
2008-11-11 11:57 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, my Mom was a teacher for about 25 years. I can just speak to her experience.

She taught in Corpus Christi, TX. To get a high pay scale she worked on the side of town where the medium income is around $25,000 a year (if that). She also had to get her Master's degree to make more money.

I think at the end of her career as a teacher (2005?) she was making $48,000 a year. My second job out of college, as a professional trainer in a company was $45,000 a year.

Teachers don't get paid. I didn't post those numbers up to be tacky, but the money you spend on school probably won't be off set by the salary. Not by much as least.

And I don't know if you are single Mom, or what, but you might want to consider the salary for teachers in your area and if you can live on that. Maybe you can? I don't know your situation.

Otherwise, towards the end my Mom was completely frustrated by the testing. She basically taught kids to pass standardized tests. It was all about the tests. Nothing else really.

But I'm in Texas so it might be different in your state.

Oh, I'll also add that I worked with a guy who left teaching, because they would not kick a kid out of school who hit him.

Based on the "no kid left behind" rule, they would not kick this Hispanic kid who hit him (even in front of the Principal!) out of the school, because they needed to make sure a certain % of minorities passed that grade level to keep their funding. Nice huh.

He told them it was him or the kid, and they chose the kid. He left, because he refused to get hit by a student and not have the Principal back him up.

2008-11-11 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
kanders - 2008-11-11 9:13 AM

I am strongly contemplating career change.  I enjoy what I do now, and I have a very sweet setup, but that same sweet setup has me basically dead-ended.  Let me 'splain:

I work from home most of the time, doing market research for an apparel retailer.  I have a boss and that's it for my department.  My office is over 1.5 hours away from here.  I've been doing what I do for over 10 years now... it's interesting, and the projects are varied, and it was fabulous while I've had young children (flexible, project based, etc.), but I sat down a few weeks ago and tried to think about what I want out of my career long term and realized I have no change options.  I can't switch departments because nobody else will want a remote associate.  I can't really move up because there's nobody else to manage, and remote management probably wouldn't be an option anyway.  The nature of my work means that I'm highly strategic - I provide a lot of advice for change, but don't always see it happen, and being remote has decreased how often I'm brought into the loop (out of sight...).  I don't worry for my job (much), but I also started to think "do I want to be doing this for 20 more years?" and I shudder at the thought.  I also have a bit of an altruistic streak in me, and I find myself thinking "Is this all I'm going to give?  I'm going to make money for somebody selling clothes? Really?"

So I began to take inventory of what I like about my job, and what I like in my "outside of work" job.  And I began to revisit an idea that I've had off and on for 15 years now of going back and getting a teaching degree.  The things I love about my job are - presenting information to people in a way that is easily grasped, helping people see the big picture, providing insight.  Writing and analyzing.  I have a bachelor's in History and Economics, so you can see how that all works. 

Over the past 2 years I started coaching volleyball for middle school kids, and I love it.  I love watching the kids learn and grow, I love helping them work together to do something better, I love being involved in their lives.  This last year I think I really may have made a difference in the lives of a couple of my girls... they were heading in wrong (middle school) directions, and I think I helped them find something valuable inside themselves... potential to be more than they thought they could. 

Anyway, I keep coming back to this and thinking... should I teach?  I worry.  I'm not the most patient, particularly with people who don't put forth any effort.  I also have a tendency to get too attached - it might be hard for me not to put too much of myself on the line.  I am in outstate MN, where there actually is no shortage of folks looking for teaching jobs - what if I finish this and can't find work???  What if I burn out?

But I think... I think... I might want to do this.  I've looked into it and there's a remote program I could take to fast track to a secondary teaching certificate in about 2 years. 

So here's what I'm asking:  I'm looking for any teachers who have opinions on what you love and hate about teaching, teaching as a second career, teaching secondary school, etc.  Any suggestions or thoughts on things I should do as I begin this process.  Lay it on me, BT!

I studied teaching in college - another life ago and by my senior year with only student teaching left I just couldn't do it.  I was burned out by what I saw in my work getting to that point and this was pre-TEST and NCLB.  I graduated with a degree in sociology (FWIW!)...

Texas is very different in that you do not need a teaching degree to substitute.  Any college degree works.  My daughters 2nd grade teacher last year had a college degree in computer science with NO college learning in education.  I have thought of subbing in a few years when all my children are in school - but by that point I hope to no longer live in TX.  Check out substitute teaching and see if you enjoy the classroom.  Life in the classroom will be very different then life on the court.

Good luck!

2008-11-11 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

I've just started my teacher training and am really enjoying it.  It's unbelievably hard work (I've been told the first year is the hardest though) but I'm really enjoying it.  There's no way I could sit in an office 9-5 every day so in that respect teaching is perfect for me.

I've only taken a couple of lessons so far so I'm by no means experienced but I think I've definitely made the right career choice.

BTW, I've already managed to plan triathlon into one of my lessons that I will be teaching next monday

2008-11-11 2:32 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

I spent a year as a teacher's aide (fifth grade) and homebound teacher while I was in grad school. I hated it by the end of the year. The kids were awful, and their parents were worse (see a pattern here).

My mother and both my grandmothers were classroom teachers (middle school) for 35 and 40 years. I grew up around it. I still would not go back to it.

That said, in my current job (academic librarian) I do a certain ammount of teaching to college kids, that's a whole other thing, and I enjoy it greatly. Previously to this I was a software trainer, essentially a teacher of adults. I liked that too.

2008-11-11 2:32 PM
in reply to: #1801830

User image

Expert
Barrington Area, IL
KSH - 2008-11-11 11:57 AM

Well, my Mom was a teacher for about 25 years. I can just speak to her experience.

She taught in Corpus Christi, TX. To get a high pay scale she worked on the side of town where the medium income is around $25,000 a year (if that). She also had to get her Master's degree to make more money.

I think at the end of her career as a teacher (2005?) she was making $48,000 a year. My second job out of college, as a professional trainer in a company was $45,000 a year.

Teachers don't get paid. I didn't post those numbers up to be tacky, but the money you spend on school probably won't be off set by the salary. Not by much as least.

And I don't know if you are single Mom, or what, but you might want to consider the salary for teachers in your area and if you can live on that. Maybe you can? I don't know your situation.

Otherwise, towards the end my Mom was completely frustrated by the testing. She basically taught kids to pass standardized tests. It was all about the tests. Nothing else really.

But I'm in Texas so it might be different in your state.

Oh, I'll also add that I worked with a guy who left teaching, because they would not kick a kid out of school who hit him.

Based on the "no kid left behind" rule, they would not kick this Hispanic kid who hit him (even in front of the Principal!) out of the school, because they needed to make sure a certain % of minorities passed that grade level to keep their funding. Nice huh.

He told them it was him or the kid, and they chose the kid. He left, because he refused to get hit by a student and not have the Principal back him up.

Teachers get paid VERY WELL in many states.

When comparing salaries remember that teachers get paid for working at best 10 months of the year. They also get extremely good pension benefits in many states that equal 75-100% of their last years pay once they reach certain criteria. Additionally healthcare costs are typically low.

You have to figure all that delayed compensation into what they make. There are some areas where they not make alot but those are the same areas no one does.

I know that we have a kindergarten teacher in our district making $85,000+ - not a bad deal for working 10 months a year and going to walk away with an annual pension of $64,000 per year and full healthcare.
2008-11-11 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
See if any schools around you participate in Junior Achievement. It is a great program to see what teaching is like, preparing lesson plans and activities and what have you. I have been doing it for 2 years now, and am working on my degree in education.

2008-11-11 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

This is my 20th year in the classroom and I can't imagine any other job.  I've been in 4 schools in 3 states and taught everything from 9th Basic English to 12th College Prep English.  Has every day been perfect?  Hellno.  There are some days that I want to bang my head into the wall.  There are other days I want to bang someone else's head into the wall. 

Long story short, the reason I keep going back is the kids.  They can be rotten and wonderful all in the same class period.  Kids need teachers that really want to be there with them.  So often they don't have much of a relationship with an adult at home, even if they are from a "good home".  I hope that at the end of the day I've helped at least one kid navigate through life on that day.  Really though, we don't know if we have impacted kids. 

NCLB has been a bad deal in many ways, but one thing that it has brought is higher standards and more consistent standards across the country.  No longer can teachers give kids an endless stream of worksheets while they just sit back reading the paper and drinking coffee.  It's hard work being accountable to the public. 

Rambling long story short... I love my job, love the kids, enjoy working with my building administration and tolerate the rest of the nonsense. 

2008-11-12 1:57 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Shoot a pm to mila, as I don't think she reads COJ. She's done just about every job in schools, and now advocates for kids.
2008-11-22 2:17 AM

Teaching can be as rewarding, challenging, difficult or exciting as any other profession, but it has to be someting you are passionate about. 

I went back to school after four years to earn a teaching license and I have been teaching high school social studies courses for 14 years and I love it.  Making connections and having a chance to make a positive impact on someone's life in the classroom, or through coaching, for example is incredibly rewarding and easily outweighs the negatives. 

When making this decision, don't lose sight of the fact that you can "burn out" in any career and you will meet teachers who love what they do and some who should have retired long ago.  In that sense, again, its most often how you approach what you do and if you decide to teach, you have to make sure your classes are relevant and meaningful.  One of the biggest challenges in teaching is realizing that every student you see in a day has come to your class from a different environment and each has his or her own challenges facing them, possibly making school seem trivial in their minds.

Generalizations about teacher's pay, benefits or workload are often misleading or incorrect.  The best thing you can do, is to do some research yourself.  Then again, if you love what you do for a living, and you don't look at it as "work", then it becomes less of an issue.

To the critics, step into a classroom and get your feet wet.  Meet and overcome the roadblocks presented to you day after day and if you think teachers are paid too much or the benefit package is too generous, become a teacher!

2008-11-22 6:57 AM
in reply to: #1802275

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
I spent the 2006-2007 year teaching high school kids web design and computer repair. Only 5% of the students WANTED to learn what I had to teach. If I could just teach THOSE kids, I'd have loved it. The rest were slackers that just wanted to watch youtube. And this was in a nationally ranked high school!!!

I spent 12 hours a day teaching, grading, making lesson plans, etc. Then I'd go in and teach, and be met with apathy. It was so completely frustrating. Once I expressed my frustation to the class saying "I stayed up till midnight creating this activity!". The kids replied "Oh, you don't have to do that any more Mrs. S, just give us all A's". I guess that was kinda funny, but I didn't think it was funny at the time!

I neglected my family during my teaching year, and am paying for it now with bad teenager problems. I had no time for myself either, and I had NO time to workout. I gained 15 lbs (still trying to lose it!)

They put all levels of kids in one class. And I was expected to make extra lesson plans to challenge the advanced kids, and make it easier for the kids who really shouldn't have been in that class at all. (I mean, some kids didn't even know how to even create a new folder in Windows).

Then in the summers I was supposed to take classes and go to conferences, so you don't really get summers off completely. They were also going to move the computer lab over the summer. Who do you think was supposed to clean the room and move the computers???? Me - no thanks!

The following year, they said I would not be teaching web design, which is really the thing they hired me to teach and it's what I know well enough to teach. So I would be starting from square one in the lesson plans department. They also wanted me to teach four different classes, meaning I would have to make up 4 lesson plans a day (instead of just 2, which was too hard already)! That was the straw that broke the camels back, so I didn't return for a second year.

PS: I have utmost respect for teachers who are able to stick out the stressful work conditions and shape the future generations. You guys and gals are HEROS!!! I spent alot of time volunteering in my daughter's 8th grade classroom the year after I quit.

Edited by keyone 2008-11-22 7:00 AM
2008-11-22 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

x2 what Carol said (I avoided posting as if too sound too negative) but...

I taught for ten years and got OUT!!! I stayed for the $$ and benefits for awhile and couldn't take it.  I taught middle school and high school math.  I liked the students.  I just didn't like teaching them something that they did not want to learn.  They would misbehave and do anything to keep me from teaching the subject matter.

I still work for the schools as a school psychologist which is much better.  I could not handle the classroom.  I respect those who are good teachers.  I was not a good teacher. I was a frustrated one who couldn't wait for the next vacation!

2008-11-23 8:13 AM
in reply to: #1802277

User image

Elite

Wolff27 - 2008-11-11 2:32 PM
KSH - 2008-11-11 11:57 AM Well, my Mom was a teacher for about 25 years. I can just speak to her experience. She taught in Corpus Christi, TX. To get a high pay scale she worked on the side of town where the medium income is around $25,000 a year (if that). She also had to get her Master's degree to make more money. I think at the end of her career as a teacher (2005?) she was making $48,000 a year. My second job out of college, as a professional trainer in a company was $45,000 a year. Teachers don't get paid. I didn't post those numbers up to be tacky, but the money you spend on school probably won't be off set by the salary. Not by much as least. And I don't know if you are single Mom, or what, but you might want to consider the salary for teachers in your area and if you can live on that. Maybe you can? I don't know your situation. Otherwise, towards the end my Mom was completely frustrated by the testing. She basically taught kids to pass standardized tests. It was all about the tests. Nothing else really. But I'm in Texas so it might be different in your state. Oh, I'll also add that I worked with a guy who left teaching, because they would not kick a kid out of school who hit him. Based on the "no kid left behind" rule, they would not kick this Hispanic kid who hit him (even in front of the Principal!) out of the school, because they needed to make sure a certain % of minorities passed that grade level to keep their funding. Nice huh. He told them it was him or the kid, and they chose the kid. He left, because he refused to get hit by a student and not have the Principal back him up.
Teachers get paid VERY WELL in many states. When comparing salaries remember that teachers get paid for working at best 10 months of the year. They also get extremely good pension benefits in many states that equal 75-100% of their last years pay once they reach certain criteria. Additionally healthcare costs are typically low. You have to figure all that delayed compensation into what they make. There are some areas where they not make alot but those are the same areas no one does. I know that we have a kindergarten teacher in our district making $85,000+ - not a bad deal for working 10 months a year and going to walk away with an annual pension of $64,000 per year and full healthcare.

spoken like a person who is NOT a teacher.  Sorry dude, you're way off trackhere.  Compared to those that work 35 hour weeks with 6-8week vacations and making 100k, like some of my friends, I work much much much harder in the 10 months than they do in 12.

Not all districts pay the same, and not all have the same benefits.  And I guarantee that kindergarten teacher works her butt off for the money.  

2008-11-23 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
We've got something in our staffroom that demonstrates this in a mathmatical way.  I'll make a copy of it an post it tomorrow if I get chance.  I thought it was quite interesting anyway...
2008-11-23 3:05 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC
I used to teach, I don't anymore.  There is no more actual teaching in the profession anymore.  NCLB has really destroyed public education.  It's a shame b/c I loved the children (I taught 3rd grade)!  They could always make me laugh, even when I was having a crappy day.  And, although lots of teachers complain about parents, mine were really great!  I also taught in NC which has no teacher unions and no one is protecting the rights of the teachers.  If this is something you really want to do, go into it with your eyes open and not a romanticized version of what teaching is.  I stay at home with my kids now (best job in thw world, BTW) and I don't think I will ever return to the classroom. 
2008-11-23 3:16 PM

User image

Elite
My only advice to you if you really want to go into teaching is to get certified in something other than History, Economics and Social Studies.  As a pseudo administrator at our school I am on every interview commitee.  You will have to be extremely lucky to even get an interview with that degree.  On the other hand if you teach Math I could probably hire you right now.  So would just about every other school.  Would be happy to talk more in depth with you if you want some time.
2008-11-23 4:33 PM
in reply to: #1802277

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Wolff27 - 2008-11-11 3:32 PM

Teachers get paid VERY WELL in many states.

When comparing salaries remember that teachers get paid for working at best 10 months of the year. They also get extremely good pension benefits in many states that equal 75-100% of their last years pay once they reach certain criteria. Additionally healthcare costs are typically low.

You have to figure all that delayed compensation into what they make. There are some areas where they not make alot but those are the same areas no one does.

I know that we have a kindergarten teacher in our district making $85,000+ - not a bad deal for working 10 months a year and going to walk away with an annual pension of $64,000 per year and full healthcare.

A link to that information would be extraordinary helpful!

2008-11-23 5:35 PM
in reply to: #1821827

User image

Master
State of Confusion
turtlegirl - 2008-11-23 8:13 AM

Wolff27 - 2008-11-11 2:32 PM
KSH - 2008-11-11 11:57 AM Well, my Mom was a teacher for about 25 years. I can just speak to her experience. She taught in Corpus Christi, TX. To get a high pay scale she worked on the side of town where the medium income is around $25,000 a year (if that). She also had to get her Master's degree to make more money. I think at the end of her career as a teacher (2005?) she was making $48,000 a year. My second job out of college, as a professional trainer in a company was $45,000 a year. Teachers don't get paid. I didn't post those numbers up to be tacky, but the money you spend on school probably won't be off set by the salary. Not by much as least. And I don't know if you are single Mom, or what, but you might want to consider the salary for teachers in your area and if you can live on that. Maybe you can? I don't know your situation. Otherwise, towards the end my Mom was completely frustrated by the testing. She basically taught kids to pass standardized tests. It was all about the tests. Nothing else really. But I'm in Texas so it might be different in your state. Oh, I'll also add that I worked with a guy who left teaching, because they would not kick a kid out of school who hit him. Based on the "no kid left behind" rule, they would not kick this Hispanic kid who hit him (even in front of the Principal!) out of the school, because they needed to make sure a certain % of minorities passed that grade level to keep their funding. Nice huh. He told them it was him or the kid, and they chose the kid. He left, because he refused to get hit by a student and not have the Principal back him up.
Teachers get paid VERY WELL in many states. When comparing salaries remember that teachers get paid for working at best 10 months of the year. They also get extremely good pension benefits in many states that equal 75-100% of their last years pay once they reach certain criteria. Additionally healthcare costs are typically low. You have to figure all that delayed compensation into what they make. There are some areas where they not make alot but those are the same areas no one does. I know that we have a kindergarten teacher in our district making $85,000+ - not a bad deal for working 10 months a year and going to walk away with an annual pension of $64,000 per year and full healthcare.

spoken like a person who is NOT a teacher.  Sorry dude, you're way off trackhere.  Compared to those that work 35 hour weeks with 6-8week vacations and making 100k, like some of my friends, I work much much much harder in the 10 months than they do in 12.

Not all districts pay the same, and not all have the same benefits.  And I guarantee that kindergarten teacher works her butt off for the money.  

Ditto that! 85K for an elementary teacher is NOT the norm. The money sucks, the hours are hard, and often, the benefits (healthcare, retirement) not all that great. At least not in my district. Seriously. Teaching isn't something one does for the money. It's all about the kids and being passionate about educating.

2008-11-23 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
In college, I studied to become a high school English teacher, and I taught high school English for 3 years in San Diego. Here's an average day. Wake up at 6am and get everything ready for the 200 students that will come through your door today. Get to school by 7am to fire up the overhead and the computer, and make any last minute copies for the 40 fourteen year-olds that will arrive at 7:30am. For the next hour, you will be expected to play the following roles to each and every one of those 40 kids: a counselor, a parent, a social worker, a scholar, a community outreach specialist, a cool/interesting person, a dynamic speaker and performer, a rigorous questioner, a disciplinarian, a security guard, etc. These expectations are coming from the students, the parents, the administrators, the government, and your peers all at once. Five minutes after you've finished your first lesson that inspired them all, 40 different kids come in and you'll teach a completely different lesson that you've stayed up hours preparing, and everyone will have the same expectations. Repeat this two more times with different lessons for each class period.

You'll have 30 minutes for school cafeteria lunch.

Next you'll have a 1 hour prep period where you'll grade papers, call parents, plan innovative lessons, check your email, and determine if Johnny, Sarah, Brolin, Jaequan, and Susie have legit excuses for missing English this morning. You'll teach one more class period and hope you're still being a teacher. Classes will end at 3:00pm, which is when the chess club you've taken over (because you seriously need the money) comes into your room for another hour. Afterward, you can grade and record students' marks on papers, exercises, projects, posters, portfolios, and whatever else you thought was such a great idea to assign to 200 students, until you finish. But you won't finish. This will take over every evening until you fall asleep, every Saturday and Sunday, all the so-called 'vacation' days, and then you'll write curriculum throughout the summer to make a living wage. I worked an average of 70 hours per week. Expect 2 weeks of bliss during July, and then get back to work. For this, you'll start at $28,000/year and after 35 years move all the way up to $50,000/year. You better love kids. You won't have time for anything else.
2008-11-24 6:09 AM

I do have to agree with the last couple of posts....  heres something for everyone to consider

SICK OF THOSE HIGH PAID TEACHERS
     I, for one, am sick and tired of those high paid teachers. Their hefty
 salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work nine or ten months a
 year!  It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what
they do. Baby-sit! We can get that for less than minimum wage.
That's  right.
     I would give them $3.00 dollars an hour and only the hours they
worked, not any of that silly planning time. That would be $19.50 a day
 (7:45 AM to 3:00 PM with 45 minutes off for lunch).  Each parent
 should pay $18.50 a day  for these teachers to baby-sit their children.
Now,
how many do they teach in a day, maybe 30?

So that's 18.5 X 30 = $555.00 a day. But remember they only work 180
days a year! I'm not going to pay them for any vacations. Let's see. . .
 that's 555 x 180 = $99,900.00
    (Hold on! My calculator must need batteries!)

What about those special teachers or the ones with Master's degrees?
 Well, we could pay them a little over minimum wage just to be fair.
Round it off to $7.00 an hour.  That would be $7 times 6 1/2 hours times 30
 children times 180 days = $245,700.00 per year.

Wait a minute, there is something wrong here!

THERE SURE IS!!! DUH!!

2008-11-24 7:56 AM
in reply to: #1822905

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
yeats - 2008-11-23 10:34 PM

In college, I studied to become a high school English teacher, and I taught high school English for 3 years in San Diego. Here's an average day. Wake up at 6am and get everything ready for the 200 students that will come through your door today. Get to school by 7am to fire up the overhead and the computer, and make any last minute copies for the 40 fourteen year-olds that will arrive at 7:30am. For the next hour, you will be expected to play the following roles to each and every one of those 40 kids: a counselor, a parent, a social worker, a scholar, a community outreach specialist, a cool/interesting person, a dynamic speaker and performer, a rigorous questioner, a disciplinarian, a security guard, etc. These expectations are coming from the students, the parents, the administrators, the government, and your peers all at once. Five minutes after you've finished your first lesson that inspired them all, 40 different kids come in and you'll teach a completely different lesson that you've stayed up hours preparing, and everyone will have the same expectations. Repeat this two more times with different lessons for each class period.

You'll have 30 minutes for school cafeteria lunch.

Next you'll have a 1 hour prep period where you'll grade papers, call parents, plan innovative lessons, check your email, and determine if Johnny, Sarah, Brolin, Jaequan, and Susie have legit excuses for missing English this morning. You'll teach one more class period and hope you're still being a teacher. Classes will end at 3:00pm, which is when the chess club you've taken over (because you seriously need the money) comes into your room for another hour. Afterward, you can grade and record students' marks on papers, exercises, projects, posters, portfolios, and whatever else you thought was such a great idea to assign to 200 students, until you finish. But you won't finish. This will take over every evening until you fall asleep, every Saturday and Sunday, all the so-called 'vacation' days, and then you'll write curriculum throughout the summer to make a living wage. I worked an average of 70 hours per week. Expect 2 weeks of bliss during July, and then get back to work. For this, you'll start at $28,000/year and after 35 years move all the way up to $50,000/year. You better love kids. You won't have time for anything else.

Very well said. This was exactly my experience, except I only lasted 1 year instead of 3. Luckily, I was able to try it out and find I didn't like it before getting my teaching certificate. In NC, they have a lateral entry program where you can work as a teacher before you get your teaching license. As long as you have a college degree in a somewhat related field of study, they will let you teach. You have three years to take the proper coursework to get your teaching certificate.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Hey all you BT Teachers... Need some advice Rss Feed  

of 2