General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about the swim portion of training (16 week couch to sprint) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-05 4:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Question about the swim portion of training (16 week couch to sprint)
I know that the times are in minutes and all of that but what should be the focus during the swim minutes? I have yet to swim 500mtrs, mostly due to level of fitness and for some reason I am freaked out by the water now (even though I was a good swimmer as a kid). I think a lot of the anxiety seems to come from my breathing and that will work itself out, but I typically go and try to swim as far as I can in the time alloted for that day. Should I be focusing on distance or should I be doing some of the drills I see on other sites regarding swimming instead (have been looking at http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/swimming-drills04.htm)? Any opinions on which is best?

I dont plan on working towards an actual sprint tri until I am more comfortable with all aspects of the event but as a beginner to the sport (not to mention I am coming into this after being out of shape), what would you work for right now?

2004-03-05 4:56 PM
in reply to: #10758

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Question about the swim portion of training (16 week couch to sprint)

just focusing on duration or distance alternating freestyle and breaststroke worked for me and allowed me to finish mine easily enough...although back of pack.  most people do drills to help build and help in speed.  i just want to swim as far as i can and not think - although that mentality will only carry u so far.

breathing will come with better fitness in the pool.  i swallowed a lot of water before i could build any distance as i gasped for air. 

i am sure many will chime in on various drills for help..they r important.  check out the Swim section...a few workouts and drills their for beginners...also check out.... 50 Swim Workouts - u can tailor the lenghts to fit your fitness and needs.

2004-03-05 4:57 PM
in reply to: #10758

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: Question about the swim portion of training (16 week couch to sprint)
Joseph,I was also a good swimmer as a kid and then put it away for a long time. Then I got in the pool and started swimming. I concentrated on two things first - getting my technique right and length. Mostly because I knew I would never be a short distance swimmer. So I concentrated on how far I could swim and I worried about my time later. When I first started swimming about a year ago my goal was just to swim 1/2 mile. At that time it took 30 min for me to swim 800m. Now I'm down to 18 min. Once I got the length down I felt comfortable with building up the spped (hence lowering my time). Mostly because I knew I could go the distance no matter what. I didn't know how long that distance would take me. So I say all that to say: What worked for me was to work on distance and then time. Distance you need for a tri, time you also need but you can't compete if you can't make it through the course.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about the swim portion of training (16 week couch to sprint) Rss Feed