General Discussion Race Reports! » Chickamauga Battlefield Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chickamauga Battlefield Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fort Oglethorpe:, Georgia
United States
Chattanooga Track Club
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 54m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 31-35
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Cereal, coffee, rush to find a parking space and pick-up packet.
Run
  • 1h 54m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the begining for my 2009 season, so I had no real goal in mind but to have fun and enjoy the run. I had a good run and a strong finish. I started off slow and negative split each 1/4 of the race, so I was happy.

What would you do differently?:

I regret not running the full somewhat.
Post race
Event comments:

This is a great, low-key race run through a beautiful course - an out and back from the start/finish to a looped course - 1 loop for the 1/2, 2 for the full. This is a good course for a PR or BQ. Aid stations every 1.5-2 miles with water, powerdade, and fruit. Not many portapots, but plenty of trees. Nice post-race area set-up with a band, decent selection of food and drinks, massage, and a few vendors. Great technical race t-shirts.

Due to the course, there is not a lot of crowd support for this race. There were plenty of runners (1400 half and full total). Accordingly, this may not be the best first marathon course if crowd support is important.

Chattanooga Track Club does a great job with their races and this was no exception. This is a well organized non-city event at a great time of year to end a season or jump-start another. This was the first year of a half marathon option and spaces sold out a week before the race. The marathon sold out a few days later. I imagine with the half and full options, this race will continue to gain in popularity, as well as from the deserved publicity in Runner's World naming it a "must-do" marathon. However, given the width of the roads and paths, I do not see the number of spaces increasing, so sign-up early.

Last updated: 2008-10-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:40 | 13.1 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Relatively flat with a few undulations; 2 miles on service,mixed surface road
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-12 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Chickamauga Battlefield Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chickamauga Battlefield Half Marathon Rss Feed