General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Favorite cool/cold weather clothing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-12 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim
Subject: Favorite cool/cold weather clothing

Fall is here and as the weather is getting colder we are breaking out our tights and jackets.

Personally I am having the most trouble finding suitable clothing for those temps between 40-60. I end up either too cold, or too sweaty and then wet and cold. It also seems that there is no single brand I can trust, and trial and error gets kinds expensive.

I'd like to know what clothing and tips my fellow BTer's have learned works for them.

For running in the 30's I have found that running tights, an underarmor long sleeve top with a regular cotton sweatshirt over it, an open topped fleece hat(it look like a tube) and some $10 fleece gloves from Performance bike leaves me the most comfortable. But you can't get wet. If you get too warm you can open the hat and take off the gloves.

2008-11-12 3:03 PM
in reply to: #1804604

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Favorite cool/cold weather clothing

Ummmmmm...I'm a proud Canadian and must tell you that we have very different definitions of cold! I won't even put a jacket on until its cooler than about 35 degrees. Seriously though, have you tried merino wool?? I bought long sleeve wool t shirts from Costco a while back (very cheap) and they are becoming a mainstay. Will probably where them lots for x country skiing as well.

As for getting too warm during a workout, I always end up peeling off stuff as I go...jacket gets tied around my waist, gloves get held and hat gets stuffed in a pocket.

2008-11-12 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH

I got a Pearl Izumi jacket a couple of years ago. The sleeves zip off to make a vest.  It has become one of my favorites with a long sleeve synthetic shirt and either shorts or tights depending on how cold is cold.  Usually if I can keep my torso warm my legs don't get to bad. 

2008-11-12 4:28 PM
in reply to: #1804636

User image

Extreme Veteran
Really South
aquagirl - 2008-11-12 3:03 PM

Ummmmmm...I'm a proud Canadian and must tell you that we have very different definitions of cold! I won't even put a jacket on until its cooler than about 35 degrees. Seriously though, have you tried merino wool?? I bought long sleeve wool t shirts from Costco a while back (very cheap) and they are becoming a mainstay. Will probably where them lots for x country skiing as well.

As for getting too warm during a workout, I always end up peeling off stuff as I go...jacket gets tied around my waist, gloves get held and hat gets stuffed in a pocket.

LOL....anything under 50 degrees (what I consider freezing) and I'm staying in bed or headed to the gym. I am a true Southern Gal (Alabama) and love my heat and humidity but can't stand the cold weather. I look like the Michelin Man when it drops into the 50s because I am 3-4x layered.
2008-11-12 5:10 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
40 degrees is cold? Too funny.  Cold doesn't even start until it hits zero here in Wisconsin.  Until then we are all in shorts and tank tops
2008-11-12 5:36 PM
in reply to: #1804959

User image

Expert
Mississippi

SSMinnow - 2008-11-12 5:10 PM 40 degrees is cold? Too funny.  Cold doesn't even start until it hits zero here in Wisconsin.  Until then we are all in shorts and tank tops

I'm from Louisiana, so maybe I'm wrong, but you CAN'T be serious, huh?  I think 40 degrees is pretty chilly, if you're going for a run, or especially if you're hopping on your bike for a spin!

2008-11-12 6:19 PM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia

when I was in Scotland, I was a huge fan of Gortex, I don't know if its available in the US but guess you must have a similar thing - a waterproof but breathable fabric.  I found it stopped you getting clammy really well.  I had a couple of their jackets, trousers and even socks and gloves for hiking in rough weather.  It was pricey but I'm still wearing one of the jackets and it's about 25 years old and still doing its stuff.  think of it as 'equipment' not 'clothing'.

I alway wore something like Coolmax underneath which wicks the sweat away from your skin.  The trouble with cotton is that once it's wet, it stays wet.  I would wear a singlet and arm-warmers, which would come off once I got warmed up and tuck in a pocket.  I have found that performance clothing costs performance money but it's worth it for the comfort, I hate that cold clammy, sweaty feeling and Christmas is coming so get writing a list for Santa - you have been good haven't you?  

Now that I'm in Australia I have the opposite problem of staying cool when it's 105, the wind is off the desert and it's full of flies that want to be your friend, yuck.

Happy travelling.

2008-11-12 6:27 PM

User image

Master
I wear light gloves below 50 and big mittens below 40 (poor circulation), tights on the legs below the mid 30's, a long sleeve tech-top below 50 and a tech t-shirt also when it gets into the 20's. Also, I wear a headband and usually a headlamp, because it's always so dang dark. I couldn't tell you the brand of any of that stuff. It's all good.
2008-11-12 7:00 PM
in reply to: #1804988

User image

Elite
Denver
kmill23 - 2008-11-12 5:36 PM

SSMinnow - 2008-11-12 5:10 PM 40 degrees is cold? Too funny.  Cold doesn't even start until it hits zero here in Wisconsin.  Until then we are all in shorts and tank tops

I'm from Louisiana, so maybe I'm wrong, but you CAN'T be serious, huh?  I think 40 degrees is pretty chilly, if you're going for a run, or especially if you're hopping on your bike for a spin!

Nope, she ain't kiddin!

2008-11-13 4:02 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Key theme running through the cold-weather folks' responses: layering and delayering.

Zippers are your friend. Have more of them. Use them.

Don't just put ON layers, take OFF the layers as you get hot.

You know those chest pockets and the pockets where your hands go? Yep, use those as layer tools, too. They are designed that way (and even if they aren't specifically designed that way, they work that way). Think about it: two layers of fabric zipped together (pocket zipped shut) or one layer of fabric with another loosely covering it (pocket opened). Air flow versus no air flow. Forget getting the highest, most expensive technical fabric; get stuff with zippers!

I live in NH, I snowshoe, winter hike, and now winter run - I promise you, it is MUCH less about fabric than it is about layering and delayering. Use all the cotton you want* (for runs, NOT hikes!), but take it off before you are hot and put it on before you are cold.

*Okay, okay - you really will be happier with a wicking base layer. You don't NEED it, it'll just be nicer.
2008-11-13 12:53 PM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
40-50F

On top, A good quality base layer with a long sleeved wicking shirt, Running hat or regular baseball hat (not as airy as the running hat but I don't need a knit hat) closer to 40.

On the bottom, Below 50 I always wear tights, my knees complain when they get cold.

40-30
Add a fleece vest, either just fleece or wind stopper depending on wind conditions. Trade the baseball hat for a knit hat. I have a couple different thicknesses depending on temp.

Below 30
I'll trade the wicking base shirt for an insulated base like something from Duofold and will throw on a light wieght base layer below my tights on the legs once it gets into the lower 20s

Smartwool or high quality merino wool has won me over and I'll be asking for some for Christmas, and checking out costco.

Hands are an issue for me. I hurt my right wrist skateboarding a couple years ago and have poor circulation now. I pretty much have to have 2x the insulation on my right hand then left. Last night I ran in 43degree weather, had nothing on my left hand had a thin base layer glove with a thin fleece windstopper mitten on my right. I use layering on my hands as it gets cold. Below freezing I pretty much have to have one of those chemical warmers in my right mitten if I spend more then 15 minutes outside. I go through a couple cases a year.

I don't do much delayering. I'd rather be cold for the first 10 minutes then have to carry crap that I take off.

Edited by graceful_dave 2008-11-13 12:55 PM

2008-11-14 7:21 AM

What do you guys do for your feet? THat is the only part I can't seem to address. WHen I come in from a winter run, my feet are usually quite cold. I have tried extra socks, ski socks, etc. I haven't stumbled on the solution yet.

Brent

2008-11-14 7:26 AM
in reply to: #1808151

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
bmagnant - 2008-11-14 7:21 AM

What do you guys do for your feet? THat is the only part I can't seem to address. WHen I come in from a winter run, my feet are usually quite cold. I have tried extra socks, ski socks, etc. I haven't stumbled on the solution yet.

Brent

I've been fine with a pair of thick Smart Wool hiking socks. Only time I have problems is if I step in puddles and get my feet wet. I am thinking about picking up a pair of winter shoes or goretex trail shoes for running on snow.
2008-11-14 7:31 AM

User image

Tyler,
good deals on nashbar.
2008-11-14 9:54 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Anyone else find the irony in this question coming from someone located in Orange, California?

Matchman's necessities for cool/cold weather running (and anything above 35F doesn't even register):

Smartwool socks: I usually use a midweight hiking sock for anything under 35F

Smartwool liner gloves: Perfect little gloves to keep your hands warm until you get warmed up. When it gets REALLY cold, I'll put some mittens on over these but I hate doing it because I only need them for about the first 15 minutes and then I have to carry them the rest of the way!

Wind briefs (for men): Basically a boxer brief with a wind blocking panel over the crotch. Crucial in winter running

2XU cold weather running jacket. This thing has impressed me SO much. I've run in it as low as 12F with a breeze wearing only a lightweight wool baselayer underneath. 

Icebreaker merino wool baselayer shirt.

Headsweats winter running hat

For REALLY cold temps, Sporthill summit tights. These babies are WARM. I ran in -2F with 15mph wind last year for an hour and my sticks was roasty toasty. My nose, on the other hand was another story.

Still seeking a pair of tights/pants that I like for the 10-40F range...

2008-11-14 10:02 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-11-14 10:44 AM

Minneapolis
As my son's football coach said:

There is no such thing as bad weather, there is only bad gear.

I have all kinds of combinations I use to keep warm when running in MN during the winter but the highlight of my collection are Hind running gloves. I think they were around $25 but they are priceless to me. They are pretty lightweight but manage to be totally breathable and block the wind at the same time. They also have terry cloth thumb panels to wipe sweat off the forehead. Before that I was using those cheap cotton stretchy gloves and I will never go back.
2008-11-14 11:08 AM

Oviedo, FL
I am a total whimp when it comes to cold weather. In central Florida in never gets below 30 deg and thats only in the early morning. I would recommend getting a good mid-weight base layer. Long sleeves and long pants, and depending on how cold it is build on that. Layering is important, a thick jacket might be too much for 40-50deg weather.
Usually its around 50 in the morning here for cycling I wear Nike-pro full body base layer (under tri shorts), long sleeve jersey, pearl izumi light gloves, running socks w/ toe covers, and a light weight beanie. The key is keeping your hands, feet, head, and core warm. Wind stopper vests are very good in cold and windy conditions.

Stop using the cotton jacket, Its not allowing your sweat to evaporate, thats why you are getting wet.

Edited by evomike1 2008-11-14 11:10 AM
2008-11-14 11:51 AM

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Should we make a rule that anyone located in the Sunbelt is not allowed to reply to this thread? It's just hard to put any faith in their idea's of cold weather and appropriate gear.
2008-11-14 12:05 PM

Regular
Over here in Europe I use BioRacer (www.bioracer.com) for the bike rides and Falke (Scandinavian) for running.. As swimming is inside that stays the speedo..

Edited by Shaun82 2008-11-14 12:08 PM
2008-11-14 12:06 PM
in reply to: #1808741

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-11-14 12:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
Broompatrol - 2008-11-12 12:54 PM

Personally I am having the most trouble finding suitable clothing for those temps between 40-60. I end up either too cold, or too sweaty and then wet and cold. It also seems that there is no single brand I can trust, and trial and error gets kinds expensive.

There is a longsleeved top that comes up from time to time on chainlove.com called the "Zoic Manic Powderdry" or something like that.  It's the best thing I own for in-between temps.

Just warm enough to keep you from being too cold at the start, but light enough to prevent overheating once you get going.

Here's a link to the backcountry outlet listing:

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/ZOI0027/ZOIC-Manic-Powerdry-Jersey-Mens.html?CSP_ID=FTS_bcs_ZOI0027

2008-11-14 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1808483

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim
Matchman - 2008-11-14 7:54 AM

Anyone else find the irony in this question coming from someone located in Orange, California?

Matchman's necessities for cool/cold weather running (and anything above 35F doesn't even register):

Smartwool socks: I usually use a midweight hiking sock for anything under 35F

Smartwool liner gloves: Perfect little gloves to keep your hands warm until you get warmed up. When it gets REALLY cold, I'll put some mittens on over these but I hate doing it because I only need them for about the first 15 minutes and then I have to carry them the rest of the way!

Wind briefs (for men): Basically a boxer brief with a wind blocking panel over the crotch. Crucial in winter running

2XU cold weather running jacket. This thing has impressed me SO much. I've run in it as low as 12F with a breeze wearing only a lightweight wool baselayer underneath. 

Icebreaker merino wool baselayer shirt.

Headsweats winter running hat

For REALLY cold temps, Sporthill summit tights. These babies are WARM. I ran in -2F with 15mph wind last year for an hour and my sticks was roasty toasty. My nose, on the other hand was another story.

Still seeking a pair of tights/pants that I like for the 10-40F range...

It is ironic! But as a Triathlete I don't have time for or even understand irony! Seriously, though, we have our chilly days here. Also, my family spends a a lot of winter time in the NE USA and at altitude at Lake Tahoe and Big Bear. So I get my share of cold. I think the real irony is that it is harder to stay warm at 40F than at 30F becuase it is necessary to wear lighter clothes, hence my motivation for posing the question.

-B

2008-11-14 3:06 PM

Master
White Plains NY
For temps between 40-50 on the bike, I use a full zip jersey, full zip vest, removable sleeves, removable knee/leggings, and a light fleece bandana for my ears. I find this setup to be the most flexible in case I overheat or become too cold again (usually when I am going down a steep hill after just climbing a steep hill).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Favorite cool/cold weather clothing Rss Feed