General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Fasciitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-12 11:39 PM

User image

Regular
San Diego, CA
Subject: Plantar Fasciitis

I have really bad plantar fasciitis.  Now that the tri season is over, i plan to stop running for a few months to let my feet heal.  What is the best way to avoid it reoccuring besides really good running shoes and orthotics?

I heard there is a really good stretch.  Does anyone know what it is?

2008-11-13 8:01 AM
in reply to: #1805726

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Plantar Fasciitis
I recently tore my plantar fascia. I'm just starting to walk after 2 weeks on crutches.

Try using a night splint. They are very tough to get used to at first, but they will keep the plantar fascia from healing in a shortened position. This is why every morning when you get up it hurts.

The calf muscles are where you want to focus the stretching, especially the soleus. Check on youtube for videos of plantar fasciitis stretches.

Here's an interesting blog post on plantar fasciitis that offers a new perspective.

Also, here's a weird gadget that claims to help. I plan to order this once I'm completely off crutches. I figure it can't hurt.
2008-11-14 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Hey...that weird gadget looks rather interesting...although it is kinda pricey. I do similar stretching exercises (without the gadget) while still in bed, and I've never really felt like it made much of a difference...my feet still hurt on that first step out of bed.
2008-11-14 3:58 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
I had pf last dec/jan from adding mileage too quickly. I made an effort after 4 weeks off of being VERY gradual when you get back into it. During those four weeks, I worked on my core by doing lots of planks and weights using the balance ball. Lots of swimming and some people advocate deep water running...I didn't do that. I waited until I had no pain with that first step out of bed to start running again. Advil and stretching worked along with rolling my foot on an iced water bottle.

When I first started back, I went on the treadmill and timed 2 minutes of easy running and alternated with 1 minute of fast walking. Maximum the first week was 20 minutes 2x that week. I made sure to continue with the calf stretches, slowly added 5 minutes to each session and gradually got up to 8 min running/1 minute walking. After about 4 weeks, I jumped into my oly plan and kept the running pretty low key. If the plan called for a 40 minute run, I did it with my walk breaks. If there was speedwork, I didn't do it. I'm still a bit afraid of doing speedwork. I also purchased "the stick" and religiously roll my calves after running. It hurts like crazy but I have had NO recurrence. And I had a 10k pr in june (broke 48 minutes!) and had no pf symptoms.

I also press the trigger point (located at the back of my calf) Feel around for it, it will hurt like he$$ if you push in.

Good luck, it is a pain but it can be avoided. Oh and I always take advil or aleve the night before a long run. I still take a 1 min walk break every 2 miles or so on long runs. I think my calves tend to tighten up. Not sure if this is true for everyone with pf but it worked for me!
2008-11-14 5:10 PM
in reply to: #1809408

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
kt65 - 2008-11-14 3:58 PM

I also press the trigger point (located at the back of my calf) Feel around for it, it will hurt like he$$ if you push in.

Ok...I just tried doing this, and can't seem to locate the "spot"...everywhere I press hurts like he!!...so where exactly, is this trigger point spot???
2008-11-14 6:27 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
start up at the knee bend and move your fingers down it is about 3-4 inches down...middle of the calf. i'll look up the article and post if i find it...

2008-11-14 7:46 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I have been battling PF for a few months.  I started using the Strassburg Sock at night and it helps heal the area by keeping your foot straight, but if you have to get used to it.  I still find myself waking up in the middle of the night to adjust it.

I would also say PF can be caused by tight calves, but there could be other biomechanical reasons as well. My gait was affected by a bike accident and that led to this problem among others. If it doesn't heal I would talk to a PT or have someone knowledgeable watch your run.  Taking time off running might heal it, but if you don't find the root cause it will just come back.

2008-11-15 1:49 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
here is that link. take it with a grain of salt as it is part of an ad/testimonial for the stick. If you google pf and trigger points you can read other articles.

ssminnow is totally correct in that pf can occur for different reasons for different individuals. I was only relating my experience...when I had the problem originally back in 2001 after training and running my 2nd marathon, my chiropractor never mentioned the tightness in my calves and only treated by doing electrostimulation and prescribing orthotics. I was never able to run more than 4 miles without it recurring, so I stopped running for 4 years!

After much research and trying the stretches, Nsaids, rolling with foam roller and stick, I am so much better and 10 mile runs are fine. It has made tris and running possible again.

http://www.thestick.net/Articles/how_i_manage_plantar_fasciitis.htm
2008-11-16 11:59 AM

User image

Elite
Reno

mine has flared up as well.   Years back, I had a surgery on the left foot for it.    now the right one is worst.   Feels like a sharp bone is cutting into the flesh of my foot on the inside part of my heal where the arch begins.

2008-11-16 8:34 PM

User image

Ontario

I am dealing with my first, and hopefully only PF occurrance.  How long do I have to refrain from running?  The  morning knife pain has stopped, but it is still very tight at the bottom of my foot and aches if I walk on it.  Can I run again soon?  Not running is driving me nuts! I have made appointments with the massage therapist and the physiotherapist that were recommended to me, but I can't see either for 6 weeks.  Honestly, six more weeks without running may kill me!

2008-11-18 1:43 AM

Albuquerque, NM
I think I am dealing with PF myself. It is mostly in my arch this time (last time heel pain). I haven't run since July. I finally started electro-acupuncture for it today. Swimming and doing the stretches also. We'll see. I am hoping I can ski this winter...and if that goes well maybe I can start running again too. It has been depressing.

2008-11-18 3:50 PM
in reply to: #1809666

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
SSMinnow - 2008-11-14 7:46 PM

I have been battling PF for a few months.  I started using the Strassburg Sock at night and it helps heal the area by keeping your foot straight, but if you have to get used to it.  I still find myself waking up in the middle of the night to adjust it.

I would also say PF can be caused by tight calves, but there could be other biomechanical reasons as well. My gait was affected by a bike accident and that led to this problem among others. If it doesn't heal I would talk to a PT or have someone knowledgeable watch your run.  Taking time off running might heal it, but if you don't find the root cause it will just come back.

I picked one of these socks up at my LRS, yesterday. I had a 25% off coupon, so I figured I'd give it a try. I wore it last night. It wasn't too terribly uncomfortable. The foot position doesn't really bother me, but the velcro strap that wraps around the upper calf (right below the knee) rubs and causes some irritation on the backside of my knee. I didn't really notice a big reduction in pain - although it has only been 1 night. How long did you wear the sock before you started to notice an improvement?

Edited by nscrbug 2008-11-18 3:50 PM
2008-11-19 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I had PF earlier in the year. I find yoga really helps stretch out your calves-down dog.
2008-11-19 8:32 AM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
I had acute PF and had to take 4 months off running this past winter/spring. It's great you are taking the time off, it seems the only way to get it under control. As others have said, you can't stretch your calves enough. I was doing it up to 6 times a day and it helped. There is a great PF stretch. You sit in a chair or on the edge of the bed when you get up, cross your leg over your opposite knee so the side of your ankle is resting on the knee, then take your hand and push your toes and the ball of your foot back so you feel the stretch along the bottom/side of your foot. I was holding it for 30 seconds 3 times, some people do 10 seconds 10 times. I felt immediate relief from this and still do it frequently. And ice it as much as you can.
2008-12-01 6:19 PM

User image

Master
Denver

I have PF as well and haven't been running regularly for a year (ya, it's f*cking with me!)

On the recommendation of my coach, I got the Triggerpoint Therapy PF kit with the rollers, block and ball. These are the first tools I've used that give me some relief.  I tried the sock and the cold bottle and a spiky ball under the foot. The TP kit rolls out the soleus and the bottom of the foot and it feels great. I am slowly starting to run now, with hopes of the full schedule I had planned for 2008.

2008-12-01 8:08 PM
in reply to: #1815192

User image

Champion
nscrbug - 2008-11-18 3:50 PM
SSMinnow - 2008-11-14 7:46 PM

I picked one of these socks up at my LRS, yesterday. I had a 25% off coupon, so I figured I'd give it a try. I wore it last night. It wasn't too terribly uncomfortable. The foot position doesn't really bother me, but the velcro strap that wraps around the upper calf (right below the knee) rubs and causes some irritation on the backside of my knee. I didn't really notice a big reduction in pain - although it has only been 1 night. How long did you wear the sock before you started to notice an improvement?

It took about 3 days before I noticed improvement upon waking.  It really did nothing to help my PF when running however.  I agree the velcro around the calf is a pain.  I end up waking up in the middle of the night to adjust it. 

Since my original post, I got videotaped running and biking and as a result, I decided to take two weeks completely off of running. I am working on strengthening exercises and lots of stretching.  My foot feels a lot better as does my leg.  I still tape it to bike and am now sleeping that way too.  It is just more comfortable than the sock.  

I am doing a 1M test run on Wednesday before PT.  Hopefully the results will be positive.

2008-12-01 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member

My Pf seemed to have been triggered by increasing running mileage & hillwork too quickly/aggressively, going from 2 seasons of oly to 1/2 Iron & then training thru pain for a hilly marathon 3 months later. i also stand on my feet 10 hrs a day for work.

"Rest" didn't help, the Strassburg sock & ice stuff did a little, my first orthotics did not help, & e stim & us at PT didn't really seem helpful either.

Chiro made new orthotics,(BIG difference) & worked on my feet, I went to SI/Rolfing bodywork for overall alignment,posture etc, & for deep tissue treatment of calves & feet,I also got the trigger point PF Kit & did those.Yoga has become a part of my daily routine.

It has been 13 months & I have just started back on a gradual walk/run plan...keeping my fingers crossed.My feet still hurt after a long workday or a trail hike..but hopefully can keep it at bay.

Edited by isis 2008-12-01 8:59 PM
2008-12-01 10:35 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Okay, for those saying they have/had PF, does yours typically hurt just in the arch area of the foot or does the pain start at the heel and affect the entire (or most of) the bottom of the foot?

I ask this because I brought up my PF to my massage therapist and while rubbing the feet out she is of the opinion (based on her experience with clients with PF) that mine discomfort wasn't PF but perhaps too much arch in the shoe which would push the arch up unnaturally and the discomfort would then be the arch trying to return to normal as I sleep.

Just a thought out there and look forward to the answers and thoughts.

2008-12-02 8:04 AM
in reply to: #1833729

User image

Champion
tupuppy - 2008-12-01 10:35 PM

Okay, for those saying they have/had PF, does yours typically hurt just in the arch area of the foot or does the pain start at the heel and affect the entire (or most of) the bottom of the foot?

I ask this because I brought up my PF to my massage therapist and while rubbing the feet out she is of the opinion (based on her experience with clients with PF) that mine discomfort wasn't PF but perhaps too much arch in the shoe which would push the arch up unnaturally and the discomfort would then be the arch trying to return to normal as I sleep.

Just a thought out there and look forward to the answers and thoughts.

Mine actually hurts at the insertion point, so between the arch and the heel.  I think your arch can collapse into your shoe or orthotic and cause pain over the miles.  I believe that just points out there is a flaw in the gait.  At least that is what I saw after getting video taped.  Fix the gait and eventually PF and other maladies subside.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Fasciitis Rss Feed