General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Travelling with bike...Case or cardboard box? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-03 8:05 PM

User image

Subject: Travelling with bike...Case or cardboard box?

I am going to need to travel quite a bit this summer to get to my triathlons as I live in Central America.  I will be going to the East coast (NYC, Philadelphia, CT.) and then to California for Vineman 1/2 IM.  My questions are about bike transportation. 

1) Is it worth investing US$200+ in  a bike case to protect the bike, or will a store-given factory cardboard box do? 

2) Is shipping (to Cali from Connecticut and back) a better option or bringing it with me on the plane as baggage?  I know I have seen some info about this here before, but I couldn't find it again...

Thanks for your help

2005-03-03 8:39 PM
in reply to: #125125

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: Travelling with bike...Case or cardboard box?
Hola Amigo,
You're are in a rather unique circumstance. As I recall shipping from SA is big $$ - and won't you have added difficulties when they try to charge customs fees & duties (I know they shouldn't, but don't they always start by assuming you owe 'til you prove different?).
You should be able to find out in advance. Call an air shipper with the weight and dimensions to get prices. Do the same with the airlines.
Box vs case? For multiple trips, you'll get the value from a case. Before you buy a case, make sure your bike and gear will fit. You should be able to put your helmet, shoes, etc in a case. That stuff wouldn't fit in the box.
Vaya bien!
2005-03-03 9:46 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
I remember the thread that talked about this.  A highlight, for me, was to get the smallest case you can fit your box in as shipping $$ is more based on size than weight.  Also, it recommended renting the cases.  I don't know if you'll have that option or not.
2005-03-03 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
The bike manufacturers ship bikes in cardboard boxes and MOST get to their destination unharmed MOST of the time. You can probably expect the same results shipping in a cardboard box. Is most of the time good enough for you?

A bike in $200 plastic case may get damaged as well, but the chances are less. A bike case in your instance may be a $200 insurance policy.
2005-03-03 9:59 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado
Check with the airline you are going to fly. Taking it with you is probably going to be cheaper than shipping and there is a better chance that it will arrive when you do. I use to have a bike case that I used to carry test equipment and had a "Fragile - Electronic Equipment" sticker on it and they never charged me for excess luggage, but think those days are gone with the financial dispair they are in. I would strongly recommend a case over cardboard box. The airlines are not kind to bike boxes. Hope to meet up with you at the 1/2 Vineman
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Travelling with bike...Case or cardboard box? Rss Feed