Ironman North America
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 31m 5s
Overall Rank = 752/~2250
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 109/236
Pre-race routine:

Pretty typical race morning for me. Up at 3:45. Get dressed, breakfast and then out the condo door by 5am.

NUTRITION:
bagel w/ PB (500)
coffee w/ milk & sugar (100)

HEED - throughout morning (~150)

GU ~15min before start (100)
Event warmup:

No really WU. Got to race site, dropped SN bags. Then pumped up my tires and around to the rest of the group to share the pump. Porto-o-potty. Then about 10min to relax before getting wetsuit on and headed down to swim start.
Swim
  • 1h 07m 27s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

PLAN:
Since I was nursing some recently broken bones in my R hand/fingers, I started wide right with home of finding some clean water. I had my middle, ring and pinky fingers taped together and they I had a small plastic splint to protect them. I wasn't really concerned too much about time. Just wanted to get through it.

EXECUTION:
The water conditions were near perfect...very little chop. I had relatively minimal contact until the first turn buoy but still got kicked a few times. Then the back section was rough. I came out of the water after lap 1 and saw 42:xx on the race clock. My watch was under my wetsuit sleeve so I didn't see my watch time. I walk longer than I should to start the second lap discouraged by the time. As I was swimming it dawned on me that the time may have been the pro-time...i.e. about 9-10min ahead of the AGers time. I debated whether I was more likely to swim a 42 or 32-33min swim...based on my recent lack of swim training I kinda thought 42 was more likely. I had more clean water on the second loop and I was pleased to see the swim time upon finished the second loop all things considering.

Overall it was a physical swim. Got a fat lip and then kicked in the goggles and head. Splint was awesome...I got kicked/bumped in the hand a couple times, but it didn't hurt and I only had to do the "catch-up" drill so I could use my left to adjust the splint on the right.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing serious. Maybe swim sooner on the second lap. Running through the water was tough.
Transition 1
  • 08m 34s
Comments:

T1 took a bit longer as I had to remove the splint, remove tape and then re-tape after bike gloves were on. Besides that, the tent was packed but I was lucky to get a chair. I didn't change any clothes so I just had to put on my socks and bike shoes, pack some nutrition and then helmet and sunglasses.

HR Avg: 140
HR Max: 173

Nothing really
Bike
  • 5h 39m 23s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.80 mile/hr
Comments:

PLAN:
Split the race into three segments...0-40, 40-80, and 80-112. If I am feeling good, pick up effort for each third. Started with 1000cal liquid (Perpteum/Hammer Gel mix) and another 1200 in SN since SN came earlier than the 1/2 way point.

EXECUTION:
After getting on the bike I waiting about 5min before starting nutrition...well that was the plan. My nutrition was still 95% frozen and I had no other gels. I spent a lot of time during the first 30min banging the bottle against my base bar to break up the ice.

Saw kristin around mile 2 or 3, which was cool b/c that meant she had an awesome swim. She told me that Laura and Brad recently passed her so I knew they couldn't be too far ahead. I end up catching Laura around mile 10 or thereabouts. I asked her for a GU as I knew she had packed 2 extras. She was kind enough to oblige and we chatted briefly for a bit before I continued on my way. I continued to ride comfortable and my 45min or so my nutrition had thawed enough to no longer be an issue. I pass Brad shortly thereafter. When I crossed mile 40 I picked up the effort slightly as I was feeling good. Little did I know both Laura and Brad had kept me within sight and they both passed me back when I stopped for about 20sec at SN (@ mile 48ish & ~2h25m) to get my second bottle of frozen nutrition. Again, frozen solid and took ~30min to thaw. Luckily I wasn't through the first bottle yet.

I see Heidi for the first time right after SN and she was looking great and happy to be out there. A couple time while on the bike she said to me something like, "we are f'in doing an ironman", or "I f'in love this". She was great spirits the whole day. I pass Brad again and then I chatted with Laura for a bit but she was feeling strong and went ahead.

Nothing too exciting until mile 80 where I decided not to pick it up again. I was feeling good but not great, plus I was more concerned about preppin' for the run at this point. Also, at this point we had a fast section with a decent amount of tailwind and a slight downhill on 231. Thus my HR dropped for the last 32mi yet the pace was faster. I also tried to use a lower cadence overall (low/mid 80s), but my legs were starting to feel fatigued...I went to easier gear/higher cadence (high 80s/low 90s).

Heidi and Brad caught me back around mile 100 and we leap-frogged a bit before coming into T2 together.

SN was my only stop on the bike as I pee'd while coasting. Pee'd ~8x.

NUTRITION:
1x100 GU
1x1000 Perpetuem/Hammer Gel
0.75x1200 Perpetuem/Hammer Gel

TOTAL 2000cal (354/hr)

Not freeze my nutrition bottles overnight.

Transition 2
  • 03m 49s
Comments:

Was right behind Brad running into the tent and sat right next him. Changed socks and shoes and was on my way.

HR Avg: 139
HR Max: 154

Nothing
Run
  • 4h 31m 53s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

PLAN:
The plan was to start at ~8:50/mi. Then at mile 10 see how I feel and pick up to 8:45/mi. Again re-evaluate at 20 and shoot for <8:40. The goal was a sub-4hr run. Heidi pointed out before the race that since it was a double OAB, that I could also target 1hr/segment. Nutrition plan was a hit of Hammer Gel (~70cal) every 2 miles.

EXECUTION:
Started off feeling bloated. If I had to guess (in hindsight), I'd say I drank too much water on the bike as calories seemed on target for the bike. I don't know how much water I had exactly as I would top off my aero bottle at most aid stations. At the time, I thought I may have had too many calories but still took hit of gel at mile 0. Unfortunately I still wasn't feeling right at mile 2 and skipped the gel. Did 4, skipped 6, and then did 8. After that I was starting to slow, not feeling great and inexcusably stopped taking gels. I would take some gatorade and then added cola after mile 13, but definitely not enough calories and my pace fell off. Should have been smarter as I was most concerned about the run. I had concerns that the long rides I lost wouldn't hurt the bike as much it would the run.

The course is great for athlete watching. I saw brad 4x, heidi and Laura 3x, kristin 1x and taco 1x. I was worried about taco as I hadn't seen him on the bike OAB and the everytime I asked brad/heidi/laura on the run they hadn't seen him either. He looked good when I saw him...even with the brochitis.

NUTRITION:
3.5x90 Hammer gel
6x40 cola (guess on freq and cal/)
4x40 gatorade (guess on freq and cal/)
1x20 broth

TOTAL 735 (162cal/hr)

Read last years IM RR before the race. Then I would have forced down the gels instead of repeating the mistake. Not that its an excuse, but I was so focused on the hand, that it just slipped my mind.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Laura and then got a massage. Went back to condo to drop off bikes and shower and then back to finish line to cheer in taco and k.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

- Injury that effected training (didn't really effect the race).
- Never did 6hr ride with only liquid nutrition. Was suppose to do a race rehearsal but lost that workout to the injury.
- Poor nutrition execution on run.

Event comments:

NA Sports still puts on a good race. For all you hear about drafting at Florida, its a choice. I was happy to see a couple penalties being given out, people in the tents and others pulling over to enter the tents.

Outside of the drafting complaint, PCB is a great venue. There is ample condos/hotels in the area and they are cheap at this time of year.

Last updated: 2008-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:07:27 | 3862 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 75/236
Overall: 515/~2250
Performance: Average
HR Avg: 148 HR Max: 171
Suit: ProMotion full suit
Course: Two counter-clockwise loops of a long rectangle in the Gulf of Mexico.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:34
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:39:23 | 112 miles | 19.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 111/236
Overall: 851/~2250
Miles, Time, Pace, HR Avg/Max::: 00-40, 2:00:27, 19.92, 139/158;;; 40-80, 2:02:45, 19:55, 142/160;;; 80-112, 1:35:36, 20.08, 135/160;;;
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Flat with a couple tiny rollers. Generally a big clockwise loop with one OAB section.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:31:53 | 26.2 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 119/236
Overall: 883/~2250
Performance: Below average
Lap, Time, Pace, HR Avg/Max::: 1 0:58:42, 8:58, 151/158;;; 2 1:01:44, 9:25, 148/156;;; 3 1:12:44, 11:06, 138/150;;; 4 1:18:34, 12:01, ~134/157;;;
Course: Double OAB. Flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-16 5:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: Ironman Florida

2008-11-17 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1811278

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
I've said it before, but I will say it again -- you are simply amazing. I am inspired by your approach to training and racing. Even your cycling crash and broken bones did not get you down, and you came back from the accident and continued to train as hard as your body would allow. The fact that you even toed the line at IMFL is courageous enough. The fact that you still blew your IM PR out of the water by nearly an hour is downright amazing. I am so blessed to train with you and spend my life with you!
2008-11-17 7:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
you earn my every day hero this year! you have done a great job staying focused and raising money in honor of your mom's battle with cancer. then with less then 8 weeks to go you have a crash that resulted in surgery. but never have you complain and never have you given up on positive thoughts. You had an awesome race and even with a disappointing run, you did amazing. Congratulation!!!

Edited by hdhtri 2008-11-17 7:50 PM
2008-11-17 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Great race!  I'm amazed that you were able to race with the injury.  Congrats doing so well.

Ernie

2008-11-18 7:00 AM

User image

Niskayuna, NY

Truly a valiant and brave effort!!!  Don't beat yourself up about the nutrition, your focus was tremendous as you had to manage a thousand things including broken hand/fingers.  I can't believe with all that was going on you pr'd by a ton.  Great job as always and the hard work truly continues to pay off!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed