General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll San Antonio Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll San Antonio Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Antonio, Texas
United States
Elite Racing
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 12m 58s
Overall Rank = 180/7526
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 33/565
Event warmup:

Not much time to warm up. the back up with the shuttles gave me just enough time to pack up my stuff and get to the starting line.
Run
  • 3h 12m 58s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Run started nicely. They sent off everyone in waves and that was a big plus. The run started with a slight downslope so it was easy to get up to speed in a hurry (and the great splits early). Problem was that I settled into a pace that was a bit quick. I started making the proper adjustments around mile 9 or so and started to get comfortable. Not long after I was caught by the 3:00 pace group. I jumped in with them b/c I felt that I could hit the 3 hr mark pretty reasonably. After a some miles with them I felt like I was struggling a bit more than I should. This was confirmed when the pace guy announced that" that last mile was 6:41" and "we should be on pace to go about 2:52". Now, I am a big boy and take full responsiblity for my poor choice in pacing, but with my footpod not working, I was leaning on this group to hit the right pace. So somewhere around 16 I let them go and tried to get back to where I needed to be, but I knew it was a little too late. The downward spiral was about to begin. I ran a 7:30ish pace for a while until the legs began to tighten to the point that I would have to stop and stretch to keep from cramping. This is when the pace drifted into the 8 min range (b/c of the stops). The Wall was in full effect by mile 21 and just struggled home. I did see a few of the other guys from the 3 hr pack who blew up as well. I felt bad for them and wished them well, but misery loves company so I guess I was glad to see I wasn't the only one. Crossed the line under my "worst case scenario" time of 3:15 and was glad to be done.
What would you do differently?:

Not make so many rookie mistakes like going out too fast and hanging with a pack that had a faster pace than I could manage.
Post race
Warm down:

Got medal, waited in line for water, waited in line for gear bag, waited in line for shuttle to car. That took about 3 hours.

Event comments:

The race itself and the course were great. The pre and post race organization were weak. The lines were terrible. I don't think everyone made it to the start in time b/c they required we park off site and shuttle to the start line. Because of this, the lines to get to parking and then to the shuttles were crazy. I got to the start about an hour later than planned. Same goes for the finish..it took me about 3 hours of waiting in lines to get to my car after the race. Ouch.

I would definitely do this race again if they work out some of the pre/post race logistics, Or I would just get a cab.

Last updated: 2008-10-24 12:00 AM
Running
03:12:58 | 26.2 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/565
Overall: 180/7526
Performance:
5k = 20:20 10k = 40:33 10 mile = 1:06:47 13.1 mile = 1:27:58 17 mile = 1:55:09 20 mile = 2:19:08 24 mile = 2:54:10
Course: Most of the course was gentle incline/decline with a few solid hills mixed in.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-11-17 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll San Antonio Marathon

2008-11-18 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1812389

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll San Antonio Marathon
Nice work out there. It's sometimes hard to let go when early pacing feels so good. But as you told me before. It usually turns into dyn' time if you go out too fast...

Rest up. Glad to see you training and racing again. Hope the family is doing great.

Take care,
Mike
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll San Antonio Marathon Rss Feed