Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-11-18 1:54 PM
in reply to: #1814723

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: Marathon time

big john h - 2008-11-18 1:33 PM """ That is part of the underlying sentiment in the article that people do dance around too frequently out of a misplaced attitude of, I guess, political correctness. If all goes well, the OP will be finishing a marathon...and should be damn proud of that fact...covering 26.2 miles is nothing to sneeze at (heck, when I got off the couch 4 1/2 years ago, it was an effort to walk for 30 minutes). But it isn't the same as running 26.2 miles. And there's nothing inappropriate or disrespectful in pointing that out. In fact, from where I sit (and I know others feel this way), there's a certain implied disrespect when people who walk or run/walk a marathon tell people they "ran a marathon." """ I couldn't disagree more. Craig Alexander ran a 2:50 marathon or so in hawaii this year at the tai lend of the ironman. He stopped and walked and stretched several times. When I RAN my two marathons I walked for brief periods and took walk breaks starting around mile 8. I still RAN a marathon. Go on a treadmill sometime and try to walk. It's pretty hard to do once you get above say 4.5 miles per hour. If you average under 11 or 12 miles per hour on a marathon I think it is okay to say you RAN it, even if you stopped and walked a few times. I do agree with you that there should be a cut off somewhere but I'm not good enough to make that decision. I use the 12 minute mile or 5 mph on a treadmill. That is slow. Anything slower is walking. But over 26.2 miles there will be bathroom breaks, stretching ,etc. and it is acceptible to stop and walk at times.
IMO, everone knows when they truly "Ran" a marathon.  Craig Alexander did, the previous poster who walked .5 did and the poster that walked 2 miles probably all "Ran" a marathon and did not simply do a marathon.  My wife has a friend who did a marathon with TNT and finished in just over 8hrs, not this is no small feet but she finished/walked a marathon she did not even attempt to Run a marathon.  I think that the whole point of the marathon is to run/race it.  That is why it was started.  It was not to see who could finish 26.2 miles, it was to see who could do it the fastest.  The people who have a problem with the BOPers probaby have more of an issue of they never really planned to run at all from the git go. 

Personally, I could really care less what people do.  At least you are out doing something.

2008-11-18 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1814404

User image

Regular

My high school debaters (before I got involved with triathlon, I coached debate) would be quick to point out that the author's entire argument is a giant, gaping post hoc fallacy.  I'm not an historian or a running expert, but others have speculated that excellence in distance running, like any other sport, is largely genetic.  People of other ethnicities may in fact have a genetic makeup better suited for the task. The fact that Ryan Hall has never cracked the top 250 is completely insignificant to his argument unless several first generation American runners have.

Maybe I should quit playing pickup hoops, lest I accidentally throw off Spreewell's game.

Edited by chrisjones 2008-11-18 1:58 PM
2008-11-18 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1814810

User image

New Haven, CT

Don't let ANYONE steal your joy. I watched the replay of IMLP this weekend and Bjorn Anderson had to walk the last few miles of the marathon, losing 1st - 18th place in  the process.  I guess he did not "run" his IM marathon either, but it takes a lot of guts to finish sometimes.     

2008-11-18 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Interesting debate on marathon. For those slow runners, like me, it's likely that I'd be *slower* if I ran the whole thing rather than walked quickly.
2008-11-18 2:29 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Jiggies - 2008-11-18 9:02 AM Well...my very first marathon is in three weeks. I've been training for a while...and last weekend I did 20 miles. and it was really really hard and quite frankly quite discouraging. BUT, I finished it. well today i read an article...probably shouldnt have...about how slow people have ruined the marathon...because we've caused elite athletes to get slower over the years. It was an old article... but the message stuck pretty fast. I'm incredibly slow and will walk most of this race. But I promised myself I would do everything I could do to finish this...because I knew only something this daunting with cause me to train regularly...I'm very wishy washy otherwise. If I'm lucky, I'll finish the race in the timeframe required and get my medal and tshirt. But now I just need to hear that my being there, and being last doesn't ruin the race for real "runners"... RIGHT?

You'll do ok.  Just seed yourself accordingly (not at the front).  Don't believe everything your read.   

Enjoy yourself on the run.  Smile and thank the volunteers.

2008-11-18 2:42 PM

User image

Giver

John Bingham, a 5+ hour marathoner, tells a story about his conversation with an elite marathoner. He asks the fast guy what the longest run he's ever done, and the guy says something like 2.5 hours. And Bingham says in response, "you can only run for two-and-a-half hours? You suck!"

Slower runners definitely do not suck.

2008-11-18 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD

As long as you meet the following 2 criteria, you have EVERY right to be out there in the marathon field:

1.  You can finish in the race's posted time limit, be that 6, 8, or 20 hours.

2.  You join the right corrall, or if no corralls, seed yourself correctly based on the honor system.  

I'm a sub 3:30 marathoner (barely) and love the fact that there are people out racing with me, no matter what their pace.  The only time I will dislike a slower runner is when they are in corral 1 or 2 with me and I bump into them in the first mile because they're walking already.

Have fun, you always remember your first!

2008-11-18 3:01 PM

User image

Illegitimi non carborundum 

Don't worry what other people think, whether you "ran" it or "walked" it or "crawled" it, for all I care...  I'm impressed that you are out there doing it.  THey have the same debate in IMs, if you didn't go sub 12, 13, 15, or whatever number is arbitrarily chosen, you didn't do an Ironman.  Or if you haven't raced Kona, you didn't do Ironman

Whatever.  It's the small person that diminishes the accomplishments of others.

Enjoy it and good luck!!!!!!!!

2008-11-18 3:25 PM
in reply to: #1815068

User image

Extreme Veteran
ChrisM - 2008-11-18 3:01 PM

Whatever.  It's the small person that diminishes the accomplishments of others.

Enjoy it and good luck!!!!!!!!

Ditto this...well said.

Enjoy yourself....

Trail_Runner

2008-11-18 3:33 PM
in reply to: #1814998

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-11-18 4:00 PM

Carrollton, TX

The people who have a problem with the BOPers probaby have more of an issue of they never really planned to run at all from the git go. 

I think this is  where the meat of the article lies.  But it is all a matter of personal goals.  I for one would never enter a marathon (or any race) that I didn't feel like I could "race".  When people enter a race they are either racing to place first or racing themselves, with all but the fastest falling into the latter.  So if you are meeting your personal goals by walking a marathon, then so be it!  Only you will know if you've done your best and are proud of your accomplishments.  Hopefully one day you could reach the point where you can run the entire 26.2, and you'll feel another level of accomplishment.

I will say this, although unrelated, having running become a lot more popular has its downsides.  Like the White Rock Half Marathon in Dallas filling up already, and I was just about to register (was waiting to see if an injury would prevent me from signing up).

2008-11-18 4:48 PM

Expert
Computerland
I don't see why the author is critisizing slow marathoners. He seems like he is projecting the blame of his dissappointing finish onto the slower marathoners. If I were him, I would just train harder for my next marathon and not critisize anyone else. Nobody has absolutly anything to do with his disappointing finish. You can tell that the author is very insecure.

There is absolutly nothing wrong with running a slower marathon. I think it is very admirble just to be able to finish the distance. Best of luck to you on marathon day, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. I'm sure there will be more people cheering for you on marathon day than critisizing you. Have you ever heard anything but support at a race before? If I were at your marathon, I would be cheering for you too

Good luck!
2008-11-18 5:09 PM

Just get out there and savor it. Certainly don't worry about any bad run you had in training. Now if you ask me there is no such thing as a bad run, just a run where you didn't feel as good as some other!

Hopefully you have good weather and a good crowd cheering you on

J

2008-11-18 6:28 PM

Expert
Perth, Australia

when I did my first tri, it was a very warm and fuzzy women's event with the emphasis on fun and participation.  As I was basking in the glory of having finished, a woman near me was complaining to her friend about the swimming leg and how some women actually resorted to breast-stroke and how disgusted she was that she had to compete with such losers.  It kind of took the shine of the day until I wondered what was wrong with her life that she had to demean the accomplishments of others to feel good.  

You will do fantastic in the race, the adrenalin will carry you through and there's nothing like a cheer squad to ease the pain.  Run, walk, skip or hop, YOU know what you've overcome and acheived and you will always have that joy.

2008-11-18 6:34 PM
in reply to: #1814412

Master

Don't worry about a thing. Finishing a marathon, even walking the whole way, is a big deal. Of course, it's a bigger deal if you can jog/run the entire thing, and if you can race it, then, you're likely a very strong runner for your age group.

Train well, and get to that finish line on race day, even if you have to walk a lot of it. Nothing wrong with that, and there's no "ruining" anyone else's race. (Just don't start way out in front!)

2008-11-18 8:30 PM

Regular
I read the article, and the author seems to be a very bitter human being. He speaks about what he could have, should have and would have done if his bum knee diddn't give him problems. Maybe he should take a good look in the mirror and be thankful for what he was given.
I ran my 5th marathon this year and it was my slowest of the 5. Not because my training lacked not because of injury, but because I guided one of those "joggers" as an achillies guide.
I finished in 5:24 well over an hour slower than my best time. But it was the biggest eye opener of the marathons I have done. The gentleman I ran with was running (yes running, not jogging) his 12th marathon.
In point, there is always gonna be that A--hole out there who is gonna tell you what you shouldn't or can't do.
Does anybody know if this guy went and did another marathon like he says in the article? My guess is probably not. As on for his article, the version on his website is severly edited. Guess he diddn't want to look shallow when trying to sell his books.
Good luck in your marathon.

2008-11-18 9:32 PM

Expert
Salisbury
Just make sure to thank the volunteers
2008-11-19 10:33 AM

Don't be discouraged by your long training run. Especially do not be discouraged by the article or anyone who would try to diminish your accomplishments (presumably in order to maintain faith in their own).

You will undoubtedly put your heart into finishing the marathon and should feel proud of persevering through the moments during the day when you think it is insurmountable.

Also - I do not see that the average finishing time of a marthon has any impact on the merits of individual performances. The argument put forward in the article would be analogous to saying that winning the super bowl has lost significance because of adults playing flag football on the weekend.
2008-11-19 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1814810

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
chrisjones - 2008-11-18 2:56 PM

I'm not an historian or a running expert, but others have speculated that excellence in distance running, like any other sport, is largely genetic.  People of other ethnicities may in fact have a genetic makeup better suited for the task. The fact that Ryan Hall has never cracked the top 250 is completely insignificant to his argument unless several first generation American runners have.

Not really.  There needs to be some inherent physiological ability, but it more based on training methods, when they started and most importantly WHERE they are training.

Hall, the Kenyans, the Ethiopians, etc. are all training at altitude on hilly terrain.  THAT makes much more of a difference than ethnicity and genetics.

You can look at the VO2 max. of various top level runners over the years and see a fairly large disparity in "potential" based on them, yet those people often put up similar times ......

2008-11-19 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1816586

Regular
Daremo - 2008-11-19 11:40 AM
chrisjones - 2008-11-18 2:56 PM

I'm not an historian or a running expert, but others have speculated that excellence in distance running, like any other sport, is largely genetic.  People of other ethnicities may in fact have a genetic makeup better suited for the task. The fact that Ryan Hall has never cracked the top 250 is completely insignificant to his argument unless several first generation American runners have.

Not really.  There needs to be some inherent physiological ability, but it more based on training methods, when they started and most importantly WHERE they are training.

Hall, the Kenyans, the Ethiopians, etc. are all training at altitude on hilly terrain.  THAT makes much more of a difference than ethnicity and genetics.

You can look at the VO2 max. of various top level runners over the years and see a fairly large disparity in "potential" based on them, yet those people often put up similar times ......

Okay, thanks.  This is where actual expertise would come in handy.  However, the point remains that the author's reasoning is fallacious and that there are other plausible explanations (geography, for example) for why the US no longer dominates the marathon field.

2008-11-19 11:00 AM
in reply to: #1816613

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

chrisjones - 2008-11-19 11:53 AM Okay, thanks.  This is where actual expertise would come in handy.  However, the point remains that the author's reasoning is fallacious and that there are other plausible explanations (geography, for example) for why the US no longer dominates the marathon field.

Agree with that.

The biggest reason in my opinion is actually money!  A good NCAA Div. 1 athlete can leave school, go to Europe and run with one of the elite track clubs, race every weekend or so and make a decent living off of it.

As a marathoner you have 2 possibly 3 races a year that you can peak for and be in the running for dough.  Blow one of those?  You are out of a paycheck.  And there is not a lot of wiggle room at the top where the money is on the line in bigger races (Boston, London, New York, Chicago, etc.) and the ones that offer big money bring out the big dogs which makes it even harder to place.

2008-11-20 9:49 AM

Veteran
Grass Valley
You are going to finish that marathon for you!  Good luck and seriously enjoy the experience.
2008-11-20 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1814948

Expert
Decatur

Offthegrid - 2008-11-18 3:26 PM Interesting debate on marathon. For those slow runners, like me, it's likely that I'd be *slower* if I ran the whole thing rather than walked quickly.

word. I guess I'm slow since I don't run at 5mph or faster....

2008-11-20 11:05 AM

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Jiggies - 2008-11-18 10:02 AM Well...my very first marathon is in three weeks. I've been training for a while...and last weekend I did 20 miles. and it was really really hard and quite frankly quite discouraging. BUT, I finished it. well today i read an article...probably shouldnt have...about how slow people have ruined the marathon...because we've caused elite athletes to get slower over the years. It was an old article... but the message stuck pretty fast. I'm incredibly slow and will walk most of this race. But I promised myself I would do everything I could do to finish this...because I knew only something this daunting with cause me to train regularly...I'm very wishy washy otherwise. If I'm lucky, I'll finish the race in the timeframe required and get my medal and tshirt. But now I just need to hear that my being there, and being last doesn't ruin the race for real "runners"... RIGHT?

As to your main concern, your speed makes no difference to the elites races. Not a factor at all.

I'll probably get bashed for this, but I have to wonder why you are doing a marathon when you clearly are not in shape to run most of it. Everyone has different motivations and measures success in their own way. It just seems like a more prudent course of action would be to train for and do races that you can actually run the entire distance, then build to increasingly longer races as your ability improves. It is very good you are running and taking your training seriously. This has been mentioned in other threads, but the long run may not be as important as overall volume when it comes to marathon training. You may be likely to have better success by running many weeks of 40+ miles as opposed to weeks of 30 miles that have a long run of 20 miles. It may be your lack of overall volume that made your recent long run so difficult.

I'm not criticizing what you are doing and I wish you the best of success.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon time Rss Feed  

of 2