General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new - looking for input Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-20 2:22 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: new - looking for input

Newbie alert!

A little background on me – 44 year old wife/mother of 2 teenagers, in good health, started running about 2 years ago.  I have volunteered at our local sprint triathlon for 2 of the last 3 years and have decided that in 2009 I’m ready to give it a try myself.  It’s not until August so I have plenty of time to get ready (I think).  I have a plan in place and was hoping to get some input/opinions on it.  This may get a little long, so I apologize in advance.Smile

Swimming

Now – I can swim although my breathing technique needs some work.  It’s a pool swim so I’m not overly worried about it, just hoping to increase speed and work on my form.

Plan – I currently swim about 2x a week doing about 300 yds at a time.  I know it’s kind of low but I am hoping to increase that distance as I go – just trying to build a base right now.  I was also thinking of hiring an instructor to help me with the breathing thing and check my form. 

Biking

Now – I have a bike but it is a basic, cheap mountain bike.  I thought it would be OK for my first tri and I could go from there depending on if I want to keep doing tris.

Plan – Again, with this I just want to work on building my base for now.  Because of the weather and time constraints, most of my biking is being done on a stationary bike usually 2x a week for about 30-35 min at a time.  I’m hoping to increase the intensity level and distance over the winter and then start riding outdoors in the spring. 

Run

Now – I’m already a runner so this is the easy part for me. 

Plan – I’m currently not running because of tendonitis issues, but hope to start with a half marathon training plan after the holidays.  I’m hoping to run my second half in April. 

Overall, I’d like to build as much of a base as I can over the winter while training for my half (using swimming and biking as my cross-training) and then switch to more tri-specific training in May.  Does this sound reasonable?  I know it’s a ways off and things could (and probably will) happen between now and then, but am I at least on the right path?    

2008-11-20 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1818742

Regular
New Hope, MN
Subject: RE: new - looking for input

Having a good base going into your training is always a good idea, you'll be able to start off strong with your tri specific training in May.  Look at the training plan here for an idea of what to expect.

Working on your swimming in the off-season is a good idea.  Working on drills to improve your breathing and your stroke would be something to focus on.  Then building up the yardage a bit.  Might want to see if there is a masters program in the area, they usually cater to a levels.

A stationary bike would work if you don't have a bike trainer.

Look at doing some core workouts as well, build up some strength in those muscles. 

My concern here is with your bike, you said it's a mountain bike.  How heavy is it, does it have knobby tires or flats.  I would rather see you on a hybrid bike or road bike especially for 56 miles.  Don't get me wrong, it can be done and you can do that, but you would be using more energy than normal.

2008-11-20 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

56 milesSurprised?!?  Sorry, I think I confused things when I mentioned my half in April.  It's a half marathon, not a HIM.  I don't know that I'd ever be ready for something like thatSmile.  The triathlon that I'm wanting to do in August is a sprint - only an 18 mile bike ride. 

My bike does have the fat tires and I don't know about the weight.  It's a 12 speed that I bought at Target several years ago just to ride along the Katy Trail.  I figured it would be OK just to get me through this first one and then I could decide from there what I wanted to do.

Thanks for the input!

2008-11-20 3:27 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

I basically like your thinking but I'll offer 2-cents worth on the following.

Swimming...see if you can't get some instruction now.  And, until the instruction don't worry so much about swimming 300 yds. straight in order to know you can "make it" for the tri.  For now, concentrate on gliding, breathing to the side without picking up your head, keeping feet up vs. letting them sink, etc.  for 50 yds. at a crack.  Swimming is like golf...the more you do it wrong the more you ingrain the bad habits, so try to get some quality lessons ASAP.

Biking...if you cant set your mountain bike on some kind of indoor trainer, maybe see if you can find a spin class to attend vs. just grinding on the generic exercise bikes at the gym.  Spin bikes can be set up to more closely mimic your position on a real bike.  Not ideal but better than the generic bikes.

Have fun!  You're basically on the right track for the winter, IMHO.

2008-11-20 3:53 PM

Veteran

I did my first sprint in June of last year, and was planning on using a hybrid bike. Someone persuaded me to try their racing bike a few weeks before, and the difference was unbelievable. I bought a second hand entry level bike for $100 (plus another $200 to have it serviced and a few new parts at the bike shop) and I think it was well worth the investment. I think I saved at least five minutes (over a 12 mile course) by riding a racing bike. It also makes it more fun, as a racing bike requires much less effort. Trying to drag a hybrid/mountain bike up hills is not easy!!

As for the swimming, just try to increase your distance gradually. A lot of beginning triathletes despair with the swim, but in a sprint the swim is the least important part. I come from a swimming background, but am hopeless at cycling and running. The swim part of the sprint took me 13mins (for 750m), but then the bike took me 45mins and the run 30mins, so I was fairly near the back by the end. There were some hopeless swimmers, who took 20mins and more for the swim, but then they'd bike in, say, 35mins, and run in 22mins, and beat my by a mile.

You do have to be able to actually complete the swim in a reasonable time, but I think people from a cycling/running background generally make better triathletes than the swimmers. Just my opinion though.

2008-11-20 10:19 PM

User image

Expert
Portland,OR

I agree with morey1, your thinking is pretty good.

For the swim, it would really be a good idea for you to get some form instruction.  Kevin's (TriSwimCoach) DVD is really good and not too expensive.  Also, Total Immersion isn't bad and both are better than nothing at all.  The swim is what a lot of people dread and if you can make that easier on yourself so that you will enjoy the training and the race more, why not do it?

Bike - I wouldn't buy a new bike until you've done your first tri and decided that you like it.  I would, though, try to borrow a road bike from someone that is similar to you in size so that you can truly get a feel for what that would be like.  Using a mtn bike is fine and all, but it's just not the same thing.

Run - Sounds like you've got that covered.

Good luck and welcome!

2008-11-20 10:47 PM

User image

Regular
The Land of Misfit Toys

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read the part about your swim as saying that you do 300 yards of swimming per workout, is that correct?

If so, you're not going to build a base that way because you're not spending near enough time in the pool. I recommend increasing your yardage. That does not necessarily mean that you need to swim longer continuously, but your total workout should include much more yardage than just 300 yards. You can do sets of shorter distances if you can't sustain sets of 300s, but understand that the short you go distance-wise in your sets, the more your swims are focused on speed, not on endurance/base-building.

If I read that wrong and you were just saying that you swim sets of 300s in one workout, then I apologize for the misguided post .

If you're interested in increasing your base in the bike, you also should increase the time that you spend on the bike, preferrably on a real bike, but if you can't, try to get on a good stationary bike and increase the time that you're on it. It may not be perfect, but at least you're spinning!

One caveat, this is a very generalized response.

<style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
2008-11-21 3:52 AM
in reply to: #1819448

User image

Regular
Essex, England
rsqdvr - 2008-11-21 4:19 AM

Bike - I wouldn't buy a new bike until you've done your first tri and decided that you like it.  I would, though, try to borrow a road bike from someone that is similar to you in size so that you can truly get a feel for what that would be like.  Using a mtn bike is fine and all, but it's just not the same thing.

X2

this is exactly what I did and even though my MTB had slick tyres on I still knocked 10minutes off my 20k time from 52 to 42 in training ride before the race. 40mins on race day and it was hilly.

you might be lucky someone reading your post here might have one you can borrow if they live nearby.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new - looking for input Rss Feed