General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long run nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-20 9:11 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Long run nutrition

My long ride nutrition is getting dialled in and working really well but I haven't really paid so much attention to the long run.

The last couple of runs have been around 2 hours and I've had 2 or 3 gels (and a bout 1.5 litres of water) during the runs. That gets me through ok but I know it's not enough in the scheme of an IM. 

So where do I start in working out my run nutrition (and how do I carry it all with me?!)

Cheers
Gerrard

2008-11-21 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1819309

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Long run nutrition
2 or 3 gels over 2 hours actually is enough for most.  If you take some sports drink in place of some of the water, you should be fine.  I would aim for ~150-200cal/hr.  In my IM, I was tired of gels (and the Powergels on the course were nasty--hot by that time) so mostly did that just with fluids (GE and coke).
2008-11-21 9:55 AM

User image

over a barrier
Try a few runs with flat coke and make sure it sits okay for you....It will be a life saver during the race.

Some people will use a fuel belt if they have a special need/want. However, at branded IM's at every mile they have:

Powergel
Coke
Chicken broth
Water
Sports drink

You'll have plenty of calories available to you if the above fits what you like.

I was running on Coke and Chicken broth only. Once you start the Coke though, you really need to stick with it on until the race ends. You can really crash hard if you stop drinking it.
2008-11-21 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
Great post. I had the same question. I have found through my experiences and some of the advice on here that less is better. I was getting sick on the run and not feeling very well. I was trying to eat way to much and replace everything I was losing. Impossible by the way. My last marathon which was Chicago and it was hot I only had 1 GU and had i cup of gatorade and a water at every stop and I was fine. Before I would have had a full meal throughout the race.
2008-11-21 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1819851

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
JohnnyKay - 2008-11-21 9:16 AM 2 or 3 gels over 2 hours actually is enough for most.  If you take some sports drink in place of some of the water, you should be fine.  I would aim for ~150-200cal/hr.  In my IM, I was tired of gels (and the Powergels on the course were nasty--hot by that time) so mostly did that just with fluids (GE and coke).
what JK said; also you should have a few race rehearsals before your IM in which you'll do a long ride follow for a longish run (i.e. 5 hr ride with 1 hr run) in which you will be able to test what works best for you.
2008-11-21 12:43 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
As stated above, great topic.  Here is a quote which sums up the point I will try to make...

"Think you made the mistake of riding too easy? You now have 26 miles to fix that mistake. Make the mistake of riding too hard? That mistake now has 26 miles to express itself" - Trifuel.com

It really comes down to what kind of condition you are in at the start of the marathon.  If you are under nourished, as stated above, you can't make it up.  You can only hope to come in at a level you can replenish to avoid disaster by the end of the run.  Trying to maximize the number of times you run when you are in a somewhat "depleted" state, like after a long ride, is very important.  You are training your body how to cope with that situation.  I would recommend also trying to teach your body how to get as many calories in as possible in this state.  Certainly you will not be comfortable on the first few long bricks doing this, but really focus on training your body to get calories in when it doesn't want to.  Over time you hopefully will find you are getting better at absorbing the calories, in essence getting better at making up the calories or getting them back.  It certainly isn't what most would consider "traditional" type training but if it means the difference between walking and not walking, I would venture to say you are going to have to train many many more hours "traditionally" to make up that kind of time.

Best of Luck!

2008-11-21 12:56 PM
in reply to: #1819912

User image

Sensei
Sin City

running2far - 2008-11-21 7:55 AM Try a few runs with flat coke and make sure it sits okay for you....It will be a life saver during the race. Some people will use a fuel belt if they have a special need/want. However, at branded IM's at every mile they have: Powergel Coke Chicken broth Water Sports drink You'll have plenty of calories available to you if the above fits what you like. I was running on Coke and Chicken broth only. Once you start the Coke though, you really need to stick with it on until the race ends. You can really crash hard if you stop drinking it.

I steer away from solid, even gels and stick to fluids.  However, the last 10k during my IM, I was famished and had a couple cookies.

I stuck to a cup of broth and water on the even miles and a cup of gatorade and water on the odd miles.  I switched to flat coke for the last 10k (plus water) and i LOVED it!  The sugar and caffein got me to the end...

When I trained, I usually tried to get in about 250 colories per hour, and took drinks from the bottle every mile, to simulate when i would be drinking on the course. 

2008-11-21 1:11 PM

Extreme Veteran

Great feedback - thanks guys.

My last 2 long rides have been 4 hours each and it was the first time I think I took in sufficient nutrition (3 bottles sports drink, 4 gels, 1 banana or museli bar and about 1.5 bottles water). I felt fantastic throughout both rides and easily ran for 1/2 hour straight off the bike. Guess I'll get the chance to test longer in the next couple of months

By comparison 2 or 3 gels on a 2 hour run felt so light but I guess there's only so much a stomach can handle when being jiggled all day long.

A 2 hour run is the most I've every done and I was feeling ok at the end them but not feeling as great as when I've come off the long rides. I guess running is just harder!

Cheers
Gerrard

2008-12-16 9:43 PM

User image

Hi Gerrard,

It can be surprising what can happen to your taste buds on race day.  Sometime you'll train with and love a particular product, then on race day you almost have to force it down.

A good point to keep in mind is that your run will also be influence by what you eat the day before the race, and certainly how well you fuel yourself on the bike. 

Once on to the run have your favorite nutrition ready to go, but don't fret if you need to switch it up.  Like some other mentioned... Coke can be a life saver when your stomach starts to turn and you still need calories.

Here's a sample race nutrition plan should you care to have a look.  Perhaps you'll find something that may work for you as well:

http://ironmantriathlontips.com/2008/12/08/count-your-race-day-calories/

Trevor

2008-12-16 9:53 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
A very general rule to throw out there....aim to take in half the calories you burn on the bike, and a third of burned calories on the run.  How you choose to do that depends on you.  I love Infinit nutrition and use it on the bike, but really like gels on the run.  I would like to get to the point where I use only Infinit, but think I may be too addicted to Gu's Espresso Love
2008-12-17 1:55 PM
in reply to: #1820037

User image

JorgeM - 2008-11-21 8:58 AM

JohnnyKay - 2008-11-21 9:16 AM 2 or 3 gels over 2 hours actually is enough for most. If you take some sports drink in place of some of the water, you should be fine. I would aim for ~150-200cal/hr. In my IM, I was tired of gels (and the Powergels on the course were nasty--hot by that time) so mostly did that just with fluids (GE and coke).
what JK said; also you should have a few race rehearsals before your IM in which you'll do a long ride follow for a longish run (i.e. 5 hr ride with 1 hr run) in which you will be able to test what works best for you.

x2 Jorge's recommendation for trying it on a long brick. During my IM run my nutrition plan failed almost right away but it had worked fine for my stand alone runs.

2008-12-18 10:51 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Dial in your nutrition plan as best you can while training for IM, but keep in mind that sometimes even the best laid plans can go out the window on race day.  My IMKY nutrition went downhill by mile 5 on the bike.  Have a back-up plan and be prepared to adjust on the fly if you need to. 
2008-12-18 12:32 PM

Extreme Veteran

So what backup plans have people used?

I've got my first choice plan well nailed now but have no idea where to start for a backup. Do you mean different brand drinks / gels? A switch to solids rather than liquids? Any suggestions?

Cheers
Gerrard

2008-12-18 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1861331

User image

Pro
NorCal
Gerrard - 2008-12-18 10:32 AM

So what backup plans have people used?

I've got my first choice plan well nailed now but have no idea where to start for a backup. Do you mean different brand drinks / gels? A switch to solids rather than liquids? Any suggestions?

Cheers
Gerrard

During traning I used Infinit on the bike and also threw in Crank gels, Sport beans and pita chips. Initially i was aiming for all liquid nutrition but realized my body could not deal with all liquid. I would alternate every hour between Infinit and using solids with water. 

On race day, my plan was the same as training and my alternate was to go with all liquid (I train in a much milder climate here in No.Cal vs. KY) figured more sweating in KY so maybe my body would be more tolerant of all liquid.  I had stomach issue on the bike immediately (feel free to check out my RR) and the Crank gels would not go down, Sport Beans were a no go, Inifinit was not sitting well and my pita chips almost made me gag, so there goes plan A and plan B.  Here's the part of changing on the fly.....I wound up eating bananas on the bike course with water and Gatorade.  Not nearly enough calories, but it was better than nothing. 

2008-12-19 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Denver
In my training and in my stand-alone mary I alternated gel with water and gatorade every 2.5 miles or so (so one gel every 5 miles).  It worked out fine for me, no stomach issues and I figured to use the same plan for the IM mary.  In the IM I had one gel and decided it wasn't appetizing at all so I just alternated coke and sports drink at the aid stations (which I had planned to do) and it worked great, I felt awesome the whole run.  I did start getting pretty hungry though around mile 20 and had a giant custardy type thing, looking back maybe not the smartest move but luckily it didn't weigh down my stomach. 
2008-12-28 9:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country

A surprising reason to have your nutrition plan blow up on race day is 'flavor fatigue.'  I had never even heard that term before IMKY but became well aware of its rammifications by the end.   My longest workouts were a little over 6 hours, so I never had the experience of long runs and long rides with Infinit for 10+ hours.

I had been using Infinit nutrition as my main source of calories for both the bike and run, but I knew I needed to have additional sources so I packed Oatmeal Creme Pies, Powerbars and Fig Newtons in my bento and special needs.  About halfway through the bike though, I started to get burned out on the flavor of the Infinit.  It had never happened during training which surprised me, but I needed to have plan B now.  I switched over to GE and Water for a little bit to give me another flavor to think about which helped out. 

For the run I was able to keep putting the Infinit down, but it helped to take in a little bit of everything at each stop.  It helps to have a good model to understand what your body requires for calories, but be prepared to fly by the seat of your pants and start grazing at every stop.  I was worried that if I didnt stick to my plan of ~200 calories per hour that I would end up bonking.  I think you just really have to listen to your body by this point and negotiate whats best.  Go in with a well laid out plan, but be prepared to improvise and put treats in your special needs bags you can look forward to!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long run nutrition Rss Feed