General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Opinions on Bike I'm Considering Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-22 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: Opinions on Bike I'm Considering

A buddy of mine is looking to sell his 2000 Kona Haole (one of his five immaculate bikes), and I think the price is pretty good.  More on that later.  Anyway... this is a picture of what the bike looks like, but this is a Kona image, and his bike looks much better with his upgrades.

2000 Kona Haole

The bike is a mixture of Shimano 105 (brakes are stock) and upgraded Ultegra components (derailleur, shifters, etc.).  The frame is a Easton SC7000 Scandium alloy (aluminum blend?), and the front fork is a carbon composite.  Upgrades include carbon fiber crank (I forgot the brand and model, but knowing him, it's high-end), Ultegra components (mentioned above), new wheels (bladed spoke Shimano WH-R561), Easton carbon fiber bullhorn bars with clip on aero bars.  There's also an upgraded seat, but I would replace that with a more comfortable model.   

I wasn't able to find an exact match for the handlebars online, but this one is pretty close.

Easton Bars

Back in 2000, the bike retailed for $1799.  He's offering to sell it to me as is (with all upgrades) for $600, or $500 with standard handlebars.

The bike I'm riding now is an entry level 2005 Marin Venezia with Shimano Sora components and basic SPD pedals (which would be transferred to the Kona if I buy it... at least until I can get some SpeedPlay cleats and pedals).  It's an aluminum frame with a carbon front fork.  I've started noticing some clicking coming from around the bottom bracket, but nobody can seem to find the problem area.

2005 Marin Venezia

Anyway... when I test rode his bike this morning, it felt extremely responsive.  The difference in weight is pretty substantial.  I'm guessing that mine weighs in at 23 lbs or so.  His (no water, cages, etc.) is around 17 lbs... or at least that's his best guess.  Lifting the two bikes was like lifting a bowling ball (mine) and a feather (his).

So knowing that all of his bikes are extremely well cared for and are ALWAYS tuned up to peak condition, I know that I'd be buying a bike that is going to work for many years.  I'm just curious what you think about the components, bars, etc., as well as the price.

Thanks in advance.  I appreciate it!

-Joel

2008-11-22 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1821265

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville KY
Subject: RE: Opinions on Bike I'm Considering
It's only a good deal if it fits.
2008-11-22 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
NYC
I think that is a great price for a decent bike with great components. Hell, just the components, bars, and wheels are probably worth $600.
2008-11-22 7:04 PM
in reply to: #1821268

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX

It's only a good deal if it fits.

That's something I forgot to mention.  On the bike, I felt very comfortable.  The bike frame size is the same as mine, and the geometry is very similar to my Marin.   All in all, the bike felt great.  I guess I'm just struggling with the idea of upgrading yet buying a bike that is 5 years older than mine.  I know that shouldn't come into play.

Anyway, I'm still open for any opinions my fellow BTers have to offer.

-Joel

2008-11-22 8:19 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
I'd say an upgrade for $600 in the bike world sounds great! Sounds like he is giving you a really good deal, just my .2c
2008-11-22 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
One thing to think about - two years from now will you be:

a) Glad you bought the bike

or

b) Wanting to upgrade again?

If you think you may want to be upgrading again in a couple years (since you're buying an older bike) I would hold off, save, and spend more money on a true triathlon bike in the future.

However, that is a pretty good deal.

2008-11-22 8:31 PM

mankato,mn
If it feels good when you ride it, then buy it
2008-11-22 8:45 PM

Master

Looks pretty sweet! I think you'll like it, and you can't go wrong for that price.

I do agree with the folks above though - be careful if you think you'll be doing tris for more than a year, particularly if you may realistically do a HIM or IM. I bought a bike (Cervelo P2C) that was a lot better than I was at the time, but I felt I could eventually do it justice with training. The $$$ hurt at first, but wow, after 8 weeks on this bike, I haven't regretted a single cent I spent - it's freaking awesome. 

If you've already got a roadbike (looks like you do), seriously think about this - a true tribike for racing would be a much more complementary bike to your pure road bike, and I suspect that if you get serious about the sport, you will find yourself lusting for a true tribike once you see how fast the good triguys go on them.

2008-11-22 8:59 PM
in reply to: #1821565

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX

If you think you may want to be upgrading again in a couple years (since you're buying an older bike) I would hold off, save, and spend more money on a true triathlon bike in the future.

That's something I hadn't considered.  My current road bike is strictly a beginner ride.  The Kona could be an upgrade that could pull double duty... a tri bike now and a road bike later.

If I decide to start working towards HIM or IM distances and look for a tri-specific bike, I could turn the Kona into a road-specific bike.  I could put on some basic bars and shifters, change the saddle, and dedicate it for road/group rides.

I'm loving the input everyone is providing.  Please keep it coming!

-Joel

2008-11-22 11:42 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I really don't think that would be a very good tri bike if that is what you are looking for... a typical road geometry, which with aerobars could be very twitch (too much weight forward on a geometry designed for rearward weight distribution).

If you are looking for a new(er) road bike, then the deal sound decent.

Again, comes down to what you are looking for.... tri bike or road bike.

And, get fitted... position is #1 for power, efficiency and comfort.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Opinions on Bike I'm Considering Rss Feed