Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Wow. Gasoline prices are dropping like a bad date. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-11-24 6:25 PM
in reply to: #1823406

User image

Expert
Mississippi
Subject: RE: Wow. Gasoline prices are dropping like a bad date.
Marvarnett - 2008-11-24 10:08 AM

It's $1.79 here in Atlanta.  I love the fact that it's dropping like a rock. 

The reason gas is going down is simple supply and demand.  The demand is down, so the supply is up.  Prices drop.  I am sure that the supply will be decreased and the price will settle out.

There HAS to be more to it than "simple supply and demand."  Just saying.

2008-11-24 6:50 PM
in reply to: #1824330

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
kmill23 - 2008-11-24 7:25 PM
Marvarnett - 2008-11-24 10:08 AM

It's $1.79 here in Atlanta.  I love the fact that it's dropping like a rock. 

The reason gas is going down is simple supply and demand.  The demand is down, so the supply is up.  Prices drop.  I am sure that the supply will be decreased and the price will settle out.

There HAS to be more to it than "simple supply and demand."  Just saying.

I don't think there does have to be more than that.  The taxes on gas haven't changed in that time.  And demand is in part determined by the speculators who drove up the price and are reportedly less active now. The problem is that neither the supply nor the demand sides are simple equations.  Supply is determined by how the pumped crude gets processed (gas for cars, heating oils, etc) as well as the actual amount of crude pulled from the ground and transported from place A to place B.  Demand is not just the people burning it in cars and homes, but the speculators and industries that use petroleum based products.  With the economy generally tanking, for example, there is less demand for making the plastic products we all know and love, meaning less demand for petroleum by those manufacturers.

I think that grand conspiracy theories tend to falter under their own weight. Gas prices at the pump always go up in the summer and down in the winter. Does not matter if it is a major election year or not. 

2008-11-24 7:01 PM
in reply to: #1822721

User image

Modesto, California
Whats ironic is prices are almost in line with the period before President Bush took office.  My theory is that gas prices have been influenced more by taxes and aggressive profits and less by supply and demand. I havent noticed any sudden acceleration in my daily commutes, just sayin! Gas is thankfully a 1.79 by me!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Wow. Gasoline prices are dropping like a bad date. Rss Feed  

of 2