Philadelphia Marathon
32F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 54m 42s
Overall Rank = 1161/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 102/
Pre-race routine:

Had some toast with peanut butter and a banana while waiting for my ride to pick me up. Washed it down with some Gatorade.
Event warmup:

Holy crap was it cold. After checking our stuff we walked down to the corrals. I jogged for a few minutes to just stay warm. It worked pretty well. After a few minutes I was fine. Found me corral and just bounced around to stay warm.
Run
  • 1h 54m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

While I wasn't trying to set a new PR, I wanted to finish sub 2:00. I thought 9:00/miles would get me there and so that's what I decided to run. I didn't have any kind of consistent training for this race, other than a handful of long slow runs on the weekends and a few mid-week interval runs on the treadmill. I didn't have a structured plan. So, with that said, of course I ran faster than I'd planned. I had to pee for the first couple of miles and finally got a chance under 95 right at Front and Washington in South Philly. After that I felt much better and just concentrated on keeping as even a pace as possible. At about mile 5 I broke open the Clif Blocks. It took a few minutes to get the bag open, but I finally popped on and sucked on it for a few minutes. I broke one of the cardinal rules and tried something new during a race, but that's kind of how I was treating this, kind of like a training run. Turns out the blocks are quite good. For me they are easier to eat than gels and the side effects on my stomach are minimal to non-existent. I didn't need any water to take with them. Just popped one in my mouth every other mile or so and grabbed some water or gatorade at the water stations. Things were going really well, running smooth and somewhat even. The hill after the Zoo was tough, but I just put my head down and followed the white line until it was over. Didn't try to do too much, just stayed with an even effort. Once we were down the hill and onto MLK, I was surprised how good I still felt. I re-evaluated the situation at mile 11. Thought that I could break 1:55 if I picked up the pace a little on the last 1.5. So, instead of focusing on where the finish was, I just put my head down and followed the double yellow line up to the Oval. According to my watch, I cross closer to 1:53, but I'll take the official time. Not bad. The long slow runs I've been doing really work.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I was pleased with the effort given the goal I set for myself. Looking forward to faster times in 2009.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in a long ass line waiting to get my stuff. Quickly changed between buses to get out of the wet layers and into some drier clothes. Hung out and waited for my buddy to finish the marathon. He did great finishing in 3:35 or so. It was the first time I've watch the finish of a marathon. Very cool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of structured training.

Event comments:

The organization during the race was fine. Well staffed. The volunteers were great. Very enthusiastic. The post-race stuff sucked. There were no volunteers at the end to hand out blankets, and the wait to get your stuff from the buses was way too long given the temps. There seemed to be one person doing crowd control at the finish and when someone needed medical attention, she went running off to get the paramedics. It would take at least a minute or more for them to get to the person. This seemed really poorly run and put people at risk given the conditions. Not sure I'll ever run this marathon, but I will do the half again.

Last updated: 2008-09-22 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:42 | 13.1 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 102/
Overall: 1161/
Performance: Good
Course: Thru Center City to South Philly, back down to University City, into Fairmount Park and finish at the Eakins Oval.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes