General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do people literally run themself thin? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-11-25 8:24 PM
in reply to: #1826000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island
Subject: RE: Do people literally run themself thin?

One year ago tomorrow I had my last physical...265 after losing 12 pounds. After a full season of running, biking and swimming I will be returning to my dr. at 228. A majority of the weight came off in the first part of the season where I was running almost exclusively.

Good luck!

2008-11-26 2:45 AM

User image

I'm 5' 10" and as of last November I was about 255. This morning I'm 215. The interesting thing is I went to about 205 only by serious dieting and using a rowing machine. I've bounced between 210 and 220 this whole summer doing tris.

I've left my eating where it is, calorie-wise, and will be doing an intermediate HIM training plan for next year's races so we'll see where I am at the end of the season next year.

One of the problems with the severe dieting and running is you'll screw up your system. My blood pressure was 97/40 in the morning at the height of my weight loss. Be very, very careful! Today it's 118/60 and I'm breathing a lot easier with that. I'll deal with some more weight if that's what it takes to keep my body from shutting down.
2008-11-26 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI

Interesting to read about others weight loss journey. I have lost 30ish pounds in the last 3 years. I have always been a runner. I have not always been thin even with running. I had the mindset I run therefore I can eat whatever I want. Bad way of thinking.

I am going to lose my last 10-13 pounds this winter. I was hoping to get it off before January. I have lost about 6 pounds in the last 4-5 weeks. I really have to focus on eating lots of veggies and no refined anything if I am going to take off the weight.

My hope is to join a weight loss group on here come Jan. 

2008-11-26 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
I agree that it is calories in vs. calories out, but I will add that a very thin friend of mine gained around 10lbs during marathon training.  She didn't look heavier, but apparently she put on a lot of muscle.  My guess is this happens to a lot of females who don't have a lot of weight to lose.  I on the other hand lose minimal weight, but the body composition (and hence pants size) can change dramatically. 
2008-11-26 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

This has been very interesting, especially reading about the guy who trained for a Marathon and GAINED 12 lbs.

I have been so frustrated and discouraged lately because my weight loss came to an abrupt stop, yet I was was triple the cardio than before!

Bried history, maybe around early Spring 07 I started walking 30 min every other day, adding 15 min a week till I was walking 1 hr 15 min to 1 hr 30 min almost every day.  Lost about 30 lbs by late Summer 07.

Had shoulder surgery late Summer 07, and for rehab, once I was able to start ligting weight again I went all out into weight lifting (and taking protein shakes, supplements, etc...) but still walking a few miles every other day or so.

My strength went WAY up and I hit all time personal bests in the amount of weight I could lift, but I was also getting heavier, but didn't realize how much - I had ballooned up to 313 lbs!  I was down to around 282 lbs. before weight training (what an oxymoron!!)

Then, Jan 08 I started cutting back some on weight and walked 4 to 5 miles every day ... in a few months back down to 292 lbs.  It is now about early April 08 and instead of walking I switch to doing Elliptical trainer for 32 minutes after my weight lifting session.

Then the weight really started dropping fast.  Then I added walking 10-15 twice at work during my breaks and 30 min at lunch.  Soon I upped my Elliptical to 64 minutes most nights.

By the end of July 08 I was down to 248 lbs. - about a 65 lb. loss from 313 lbs.

I was introduced to tri's and in particular challenged to train for a sprint tri. I officially started Tri training on Aug 1st of 2008.

I could swim 40m, run 1/4  mile, and didn't even own a bike.

I've completed 2 sprints now, can swim 1300 meters (probably more, just got to figure out why my hands go numb), and can consistenly run 6 to 7 miles.

But, even though my running, biking, swimming has more than tripled (or rather the amount of time and intensity spent on cardio activities like S/B/R) has at least tripled .... I've not lost a SINGLE pound since!!!!

WTF!!!!!

My diet has steadily gotten better - mostly friuts and veggies, moderate amounts of chicken, turley, lean beef ... almost no simple carbs ... mostly only whole wheat breads, brown rice, wheat pasta (and even the complex carbs I keep under 60-80 carbs a day ... at MOST) ... almost no sugar, I eat a very low glycemic diet ...  no beer, only diet soda's, etc ....

Yet since August this year my weight fluctuates between 244 - 251 lbs .... depending on what I ate or how much sweat I've lost that day ...

I don't get it ...  my only theory is that I cut out the heavy weight training ... had read several articles/studies done comparing fat loss when subjects did cardio first then weights and subjects doing weights first and then cardio ... and the subjects doing weights first then cardio lost way more fat.

Something about weights/strength training elevates the IGH-1 hormone for a while, and while this is elevated in your bloodstream and then you do cardio ... this hormone helps to burn fat and is like a torch ...

So I keep thinking I need to start back adding weight training for 45-60 mins before each of my cardio sessions.

I "may" be eating slightly more now since Aug 08 than I was between April 08 and July 08, but not more than 300-400 calories ... BUT I'm burning at least 600-800 more calories per day .... so I just don't get it ...

Edited by klowman 2008-11-26 11:16 AM
2008-11-26 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

BTW,

Even over the last few months, even though my weight loss has stopped, my other physical condition indicators have continued to improve.

My blood pressure is slowly but surely coming down, my Resting Heart Rate is getting lower, my Total Cholesterol is much better (started out way back when 300+, and now it is 124 which is 1 point below the recommended range fof 125-200), etc ....

So that is something positive ... but my knees still start to hurt, my legs get sore, and my feet go numb and start to hurt towards the end of my long runs .... I want to get faster ... and all this would be possible if I could lost that last 30-40 lbs .... but it just isn't happening.

I've also heard that maybe I am still losing fat and just replacing that with muscle ... maybe ... I mean I wa definitely able to tell that before, esp early this year ... i could SEE the difference and the clothes fitting looser, etc ....

But I can't see or feel the difference now .... before I was seeing my arms, chest getting bigger, my waist getting smaller, my fae thinner, etc ...

. ... now I don't see any changes ... if I am building muscle it has to be in my legs because I mostly run now ... so unless when adding muscle to the legs is something harder to detect ... I feel like I'm stagnent right now ....

.... but, guess I'll keep on trying ....

.. but has anyone else experienced this ... was losing weigth like crazy and then all of a sudden it just stops?

And I don't mean a plateau ... I've had those but in the past they only lasted a week or two ... this has been almost 3 months!!!!  

2008-11-26 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
Decatur

^^afraid of that happening to me

But I also just wanted to say that I had the best 5 miler on Tuesday!! The one on Satuarday SUCKEDASS. However, Tuesday let me know that I could do it - and it was hilly too!!

*fist pump*

2008-11-26 8:32 PM

User image

Fishers, IN
Used to weigh 236, now around 164.  First 40 came off fast-in 5 mos, since then it has been gradual.  Lowest I've gone is 156 when peaking for a marathon.  Mostly running and cutting out the fats- less pizza and sauces.  Eat "low caloric density foods" like salads.  Running rips the weight off faster than most forms of exercise, more moving parts and the up and down nature working against gravity.  I will say it is hard to balance good training and caloric deficit, a good way to bonk on occasion.
2008-11-26 9:57 PM

User image

Delaware, OH

I believe you can run yourself thin.  I started last Oct. as a size 16.  I joined the Master's Swim program and dropped down to a 14.  I started tri training 5 weeks ago.  When you are carrying this much weight around as flab you can see visible proof that the exercise is working.  Every time I come in from a run my legs are tighter and my pants fit better.  The flab and fat just melts off.  I put my Underarmor running shorts on today and realized that I had to get a smaller size.  Sucks because they are 40 bucks, but hey going from an XL to a L is pretty cool.

I don't follow a strict diet and I don't count calories.  I eat lots of veggies and fruit.  Red meat/pork only twice a week.  I try to eat whole grains (but still think whole grain pasta is ICKY!) and I avoid high fructose corn syrup like the plague.  I will sometimes have a sweet treat, but it's all natural or made from scratch.  I try for quality and portion control.

For me it has been a lifestyle change.  The weight loss has just been an added bonus.  To tell you the truth, I don't step on a scale...I think it's mentally unhealthy for me.

2008-11-27 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Decatur

ya know, I don't step on a scale either. When I lost 55lbs I weighed in monthly. Now that I've gotten a dietician she weighs me in backwards. The scale does such funny things to my psyche.

and by funny I mean unhealthy...i go into a tailspin when I see the bad numbers.

2008-11-27 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia

Well, in college, I used to weigh 165 lbs and lift a lot of weights.  When I was a dedicated runner, I would lift weights less and run much more.  I never really noticed, but a couple of years later, some friends I hadn't seen for a few years commented that I looked like I lost a lot of weight.  Well, I still weigh 165 lbs, but I guess I lost some muscle in my upper body and put on additional muscle on my legs.

So, I guess I did run myself thin.

2008-11-27 5:33 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
On the journey myself. Went from 250 to 205 in two years, only doing tri related activity and Karate. My diet did not get better or worse nutrition/junk wise but I did end up eating more of everything. I have leveled off. I don't look obese anymore but I certainly do not look like your stereotypical view of a runner/triathlete. I figure I could lose 20 pounds and be cut, but I could seriously stand to lose 10 pound and I would "look" in shape. The only way I am going to get there is by cutting out the junk and continueing the excercise.
2008-11-27 7:05 PM
in reply to: #1828899

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
brownnugen - 2008-11-27 2:27 PM

Well, in college, I used to weigh 165 lbs and lift a lot of weights.  When I was a dedicated runner, I would lift weights less and run much more.  I never really noticed, but a couple of years later, some friends I hadn't seen for a few years commented that I looked like I lost a lot of weight.  Well, I still weigh 165 lbs, but I guess I lost some muscle in my upper body and put on additional muscle on my legs.

So, I guess I did run myself thin.

How many days a week did you lift and how long were your lifting sessions, back when you lifted a lot?

And then what did your weight lifting drop down to and how much time did you spend running?

Just curious.  Even though my weight has not changed the last 3 months now, I still have people at the gym and at work commenting on how it looks like I'm still getting thinner or my face is thinner or they ask, "How much weight have you lost now...?" as though I've lost more since the last time I told them.

Which is so weird, cause I haven't lost a single pound.  So maybe it is possible that add a fair amount of muscle weight to your legs and yet it not be so noticeable.  Maybe I am still losing some fat (and maybe most of it is coming off in small little places all over - like face, arms, back, etc ...) and not straight off my belly where I can noticeably see the difference. 

And maybe the weight of the fat being lost is being replaced by the weight of new muscle .... I can only hope and pray this is what's happening because I sure have been discouraged lately.

If it's possible to run your self thin, I sure would like to know just how much running that entails.  And just how many calories I can safely cut down to and yet still be getting enough nutrition to feed the cells that need repairing after a workout and so I avoid fatigue ad burnout.

What a tightrope it is to walk .... to lost that last 30 lbs. or so .... how do all you skinny, lean people do it?

2008-11-28 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1829076

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia
klowman - 2008-11-27 8:05 PM
brownnugen - 2008-11-27 2:27 PM

How many days a week did you lift and how long were your lifting sessions, back when you lifted a lot?

And then what did your weight lifting drop down to and how much time did you spend running?

Just curious.  Even though my weight has not changed the last 3 months now, I still have people at the gym and at work commenting on how it looks like I'm still getting thinner or my face is thinner or they ask, "How much weight have you lost now...?" as though I've lost more since the last time I told them.

Which is so weird, cause I haven't lost a single pound.  So maybe it is possible that add a fair amount of muscle weight to your legs and yet it not be so noticeable.  Maybe I am still losing some fat (and maybe most of it is coming off in small little places all over - like face, arms, back, etc ...) and not straight off my belly where I can noticeably see the difference. 

And maybe the weight of the fat being lost is being replaced by the weight of new muscle .... I can only hope and pray this is what's happening because I sure have been discouraged lately.

If it's possible to run your self thin, I sure would like to know just how much running that entails.  And just how many calories I can safely cut down to and yet still be getting enough nutrition to feed the cells that need repairing after a workout and so I avoid fatigue ad burnout.

What a tightrope it is to walk .... to lost that last 30 lbs. or so .... how do all you skinny, lean people do it?

I have always been a runner, but had enough time in college where I could lift 5-6 days a week (1 1/2 to 2 hours), focusing on different muscle groups each session.  I was never overweight or anything, just more muscular.  When I started being more dedicated to running, I reduced the lifting to 1 to 2 times a week, just trying to get as many muscle groups as possible in the 30-45 minutes I had left before/after running.  As I started entering and doing well in road races, I pretty much stopped lifting weights.

So, I gained a lot more lean muscle.  I think people thought I lost weight because my face thinned out, not because I'm physically smaller.

When I started doing triathlons, my time available to run was reduced even more, so naturally my run times got worse. 

2008-11-28 11:16 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

This year I was training very hard and focused in Olympic distances...so far I raced 10 Sprints and 5 Olympics this year...and...I'm 5'7" and by the time I started...I was in between 118 and 120 lbs....in less than 3 months I was in 110 lbs...I lost around 8lbs. eating very healthy and doing my trainings...well...I usually burn too fast...that...I have to eat more than 5 times daily...LOL

2008-11-30 7:36 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-11-30 8:36 AM

Expert
scottsdale, az
I gained weight during Ironman training, about 5 pounds but that could have been the college experience too. I've heard it's easier to lose weight when doing a moderate amount of exercise, not over-loading. I feel best when I'm running a lot. Running rules.

Edited by gymgirlx 2008-11-30 8:37 AM
2008-11-30 11:49 AM

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Hasn't worked for me.

2008-11-30 1:52 PM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I simply don't get the weight gain when people get really involved in a deeper training regimen.  Makes zero sense to me.  Unless ....... the first thing that comes to mind is what I said before: calories in over calories out.  The only thing I can imagine is that people (while they may be eating well and "balanced" most of the time) feel that with the increased training that they have carte blanche to eat.  With that much exercise the metabolism really starts to kick in for most and it is often hard to keep up.

When I'm in the peak of marathon training (60 - 70 miles a week) I get to the point where when I come back from a long run I weigh in at some of the lower numbers ever for both weight and body fat composition.  And it was the same during 10 - 15 hour training weeks for both IMs.  I simply cannot eat enough, and we are talking total crap a lot of times (sodas, candy, fast food for lunch)!  Yeah, I have a pretty fast metabolism, but it was trained to be that way by the workload that I placed on my body, not all genetics.

2008-11-30 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1830994

Daremo - 2008-11-30 2:52 PM

I simply don't get the weight gain when people get really involved in a deeper training regimen.  Makes zero sense to me.  Unless ....... the first thing that comes to mind is what I said before: calories in over calories out.  The only thing I can imagine is that people (while they may be eating well and "balanced" most of the time) feel that with the increased training that they have carte blanche to eat.  With that much exercise the metabolism really starts to kick in for most and it is often hard to keep up.

Marathon training (and triathlon training in general) made me VERY hungry. I definitely don't give myself carte blanche to eat junk. But I also feel like I haven't quite figured out when it's okay to ignore the hungry feeling. I sort of feel like if I don't eat enough, I will end up running out of energy for my work-outs, etc. I know it sounds stupid, but I think sometimes the whole fueling and triathlon thing comes out as "you can't subsist on 1500 calories a day and workout like this - eat or you'll bonk and your muscles won't recover and you'll be a weak BOP'er forever!!!!". I think the confusion comes from not really knowing what to do to eat so that you'll be fueled for your workouts and recovery, but also to eat for weight-loss. A lot of triathletes don't need to lose weight - at least not the FOP'ers. Most of you can eat insane amounts of food and burn it away with the amount and intensity that you train. Like you said, your metabolism has been trained by the workload. For beginners, that might not be the case.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-11-30 4:16 PM
2008-12-01 12:37 AM

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

I'm really confused.

I'm training/running like crazy lately, as I've stated earlier, but I'm not losing weight, and while I may be eating a little bit more (cause right now running 5 to 7 miles and burning 700 to 1000 calories just running - not to mention the other physical activity I do while at the YMCA, etc ...)

...I do get hungrier ...but what I eat is mostly lean meat, complex carbs (100% wheat or grains, brown rice, oatmeal, etc...), fruits, veggies, peanut butter .... lots of salads with moderate amounts of low fat dressing, etc ....  yet I'm not losing weight like I was before.

Just went to that calorie calculator website: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

... and according to a 6' 1" man 248 lbs. just my BMR requires 2,699 calories just to stay alive, even using the more conservative number of RMR that is still 2,489 calories.

Then I used the activity calculator to acutally calculate what I burn in a 24 hr period, here are my results:

Totals:  4,897 calories in 24 hrs

Sleeping                                                              607 calories in 6 hr
Driving - light vehicle (e.g., car, pick-up)             244 calories in 1 hr 05 min
Office Work - desk work                                   1,721 calories in 8 hr 30 min
Driving - light vehicle (e.g., car, pick-up)             244 calories in 1 hr 05 min
Cleaning - multiple household tasks, light          141 calories in 30 min
Driving - light vehicle (e.g., car, pick-up)              56 calories in 15 min
Running - 5 mph                                                900 calories in 1 hr
Stretching                                                          141 calories in 30 min
Whirlpool – sitting                                               56 calories in 30 min
Showering (self care)                                         112 calories in 30 min

Driving - light vehicle (e.g., car, pick-up)              56 calories in 15 min

Food - preparing, at home                                 141 calories in 30 min
Watching - TV or movie                                      112 calories in 1 hr
Computer Work (typing)                                    169 calories in 1 hr
Computer Work (typing)                                    141 calories in 50 min
Watching - TV or movie                                       56 calories in 30 min

This is pretty much my schedule/routine every day, withonly slight variations on how much running I do.  If not all running then I'm swimming or weight lifting or doing an aerobics class or the Elliptical.

I know I can't be eating at least 4,897 calories a day - or more!

I'm probably not eating much over 2,489 calories a day which is what I need if I did nothing but sit for 24 hrs a day.

I have been trying to stay right at 2,500 calories a day the last couple of months in an attempt to lose weight but it just isn't happening.

So, how does one "run themselves thin?"

Edited by klowman 2008-12-01 12:44 AM

2008-12-01 12:52 AM

2008-12-01 12:57 AM
in reply to: #1827169

2008-12-01 1:18 PM

Veteran
Jackson, MS
haha skipg, You and me are in the exact same boat... since my goal race in sept i'm back up to 184-ish b/c i have done way way less training and more consistent weight workouts...  hoping to drop alot come janu/feb/march before NOLA.
2008-12-01 8:44 PM

Elite
Alturas, California
I am down 40 pounds, running and biking over the past year. (some swimming, but limmited to summer months only atm). So ya, run, bike swim and off comes the weight.

Klowman I think some of your calorie numbers are off. For example that 5 mile run is worth about 500 calories not 900, and I really don't think that driving burns off that many calories. You also have intensity to think of. If everything is low intensity you have little cary over in motabolism versus high intensity. Like sitting at your desk has no cary over in increased motabolism. In any case, ya you do the work, you lose the weight.... if you don't increase the calories way up.

Previously, lifting 3x a week, racquetball 8 hours a week and running 2 miles a day 5x a week resulted in no weight loss. Longer runs and longer bike rides did the trick. My base motabolism is very slow without the training and I can get by on 1200 cal a day and not lose weight with lite to moderate workouts.

So losing 40 pounds from 180 to 140 is significant for me.

Edited by Baowolf 2008-12-01 8:58 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do people literally run themself thin? Rss Feed  

of 3