General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do people literally run themself thin? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-12-01 10:31 PM
in reply to: #1826000

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Do people literally run themself thin?
Since Oct 1 through Nov 30, I have been increasing run focus.. I am 6'1 and started at 191.. end of november was at 182.4 so almost 9 pounds with two 100 mile months.. I didn't do anything drastic with eating, normal meals.. sometimes crap, but never huge amounts of food.. all runs were controlled Z1/Z2 (Easy Aerobic).. I am working towards 170's which for my height I would consider lean, and I think I will be able to do it jsut running.. so the answer I would say is yes.. just take it easy on the run so you can be consistant... that is huge!

2008-12-01 10:48 PM
in reply to: #1833552

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Baowolf - 2008-12-01 9:44 PM I am down 40 pounds, running and biking over the past year. (some swimming, but limmited to summer months only atm). So ya, run, bike swim and off comes the weight. Klowman I think some of your calorie numbers are off. For example that 5 mile run is worth about 500 calories not 900, and I really don't think that driving burns off that many calories. You also have intensity to think of. If everything is low intensity you have little cary over in motabolism versus high intensity. Like sitting at your desk has no cary over in increased motabolism. In any case, ya you do the work, you lose the weight.... if you don't increase the calories way up. Previously, lifting 3x a week, racquetball 8 hours a week and running 2 miles a day 5x a week resulted in no weight loss. Longer runs and longer bike rides did the trick. My base motabolism is very slow without the training and I can get by on 1200 cal a day and not lose weight with lite to moderate workouts. So losing 40 pounds from 180 to 140 is significant for me.

I weigh 248 lbs.  This calculator said I would burn 900 calories in 1 hr of running at 5 mph .... This is pretty close to what the numbers on the treadmill say as well, about 900 calories per hr .... last week I did just over 1000 calories and had ran for about 75 minutes ...

I re-ran the numbers for someone 175 lbs. and it says 635 calories, for 145 lbs it was 526 calories ... if you are now 140 lbs. this calculator came back with 508 calories .... pretty close to what you estimated.

My intensity is moderately high.  Today I checked my HR during my run and it was around 150 bpm .... so I know this really doesn't mean a lot because of the diff. ways to measure, Lactate Threshold, etc .... but still at 150 bpm you can estimate that I'm not just strolling along.

I think the numbers are fairly accurate, but was talking to someone tonight about this and they suggested that my body is not running at a normal rate of metabolism .... that it has slowed way up .... which is probably true ..

...I'm 43 now and was out of shape for 15-20 years ... just this past Jan was 313 lbs, high blood pressure, Total Cholesterol around 329, etc ... so my metabolism was/is probably slowed WAY up..

... I also just remembered that I was on a Testosterone patch for a while because I tested low for this in my physical a year or so ago ... that is also supposed to bring metabolism back to normal levels .... but I ran out a few months ago and never re-newed the prescription ...

... so anyhow ... I can understand if my metabolism is slow ... I just wouldn't think it would have slowed up THAT much ....

2008-12-02 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1826469

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
gopennstate - 2008-11-25 8:49 PM

I went from a size 10 to a 4 in 8 weeks, most will say too fast, but it worked for me.  I'm stiill at the same 4 over a year later.  Probably 90% of my fat loss came from following a nutrition plan to the letter, not from the exercise.  However a$$ whooping workouts made me WANT to stick to that nutrition plan.  Each day I had a little less weight to carry.  I just kept thinking about 10 lbs. being close to the weight of a gallon of milk.  I do not even want to run 1 mile carrying a gallon of milk, let along 5 or 6 miles.  Hence, motivation to keep my nutrition tight and keep it off!

You're doing great!  All about finding out what works for you....then stick with it! 

Yup, I have to agree that it's almost all about the diet, not the exercise.  Timing and balancing your meals to contain protein, whole grain carbs, and mono/healthy fats (roughly in that order) will make eating less more tolerable and more rewarding.  Running alone will not make one thin if the diet isn't in check. 

2008-12-02 11:39 AM
in reply to: #1833724

User image

Expert
Decatur

slake707 - 2008-12-01 11:31 PM Since Oct 1 through Nov 30, I have been increasing run focus.. I am 6'1 and started at 191.. end of november was at 182.4 so almost 9 pounds with two 100 mile months.. I didn't do anything drastic with eating, normal meals.. sometimes crap, but never huge amounts of food.. all runs were controlled Z1/Z2 (Easy Aerobic).. I am working towards 170's which for my height I would consider lean, and I think I will be able to do it jsut running.. so the answer I would say is yes.. just take it easy on the run so you can be consistant... that is huge!

So I need to run MORE and work on the diet.

I'm getting there. I'm slated for 13 miles this week! whoohoo!

slowly working towards 25+....

2008-12-03 1:19 PM

Veteran
Yes. I went from 252 lbs down to 195 lbs in 2 years - (224 lbs to 195 lbs in the last 3 months alone) And I am not workout king. I ran approximatey 40 miles per month and biked about 90 miles per month - not week but month. I also swam, very little, maybe a 2 miles per month. And i did not change my diet. I cut back alcohol a LOT but still ate pizza/chocolate/etc. The weight loss was from burning calories and boosting my metabolism.

I've had a horrible case of PF. In Aug/Sept/Oct & November I ran a TOTAL of 34 miles and biked a total of 184 miles. I've been in pain. I've stuffed myself with Halloween candy and berr (2 tennis teams & 2 softball teams made of big drinkers) and I've let my cardio go. I;ve started lifting again to pass the time, etc. Last Sunday I weighed 221 lbs pre-workout and 218 afterwards. That was a wake up call.

You CAN run yourself thin. It is easy and possible if you have the free time and you have no injuries.

Now, I've initiated a 1 week Stillman Diet and then I'm starting a vigorous biking regimen of at least 50 miles a week. Not a lot for most but a lot for me. I can only run once a week as it takes a while to heal each time.
2008-12-03 2:20 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

klowman, not trying to get personal, but do you drink alot or eat late at night?

I know that if i cut out the glass (or 20) of red wine that i drink per night, i'd lose a few lbs.

do you eat (alot) late at night? small snacks are ok (fruit, veggie, or yogurt), but if you pile it on, your metabolism has a tendancy to slow down at this time

it could also have to do with genetics...

keep at it. weight loss is hard.

2008-12-03 3:23 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

I wouldn't give up those glasses of wine in the evening.  My wife says it is what makes me bearable. 

Can you run yourself thin?  Not really.  Get active and watch what you eat and drink.  The only time I can't keep the weight on is when my bike and run minutes total more than 600 for the week.  During those weeks I eat like a pig, but still drop weight which is what I would think is running yourself thin. 

2008-12-04 2:09 AM
in reply to: #1836973

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
tri_d00d - 2008-12-03 3:20 PM

klowman, not trying to get personal, but do you drink alot or eat late at night?

I know that if i cut out the glass (or 20) of red wine that i drink per night, i'd lose a few lbs.

do you eat (alot) late at night? small snacks are ok (fruit, veggie, or yogurt), but if you pile it on, your metabolism has a tendancy to slow down at this time

it could also have to do with genetics...

keep at it. weight loss is hard.

I don't drink alcohol at all.... but I do eat late at night - it's the only chance I get to eat supper.

I commute 1 hr 10 min to get home from work, get here around 6:15 - 6:30 pm ... check mail, voice messages, pack my bag, etc .... at the YMCA by 7:00 - 7:15 most nigths.  I'm there till they close at 10:00 pm.

By the time I get home and fix supper, I'm eating between 10:20 - 11:00 pm at night.  But I thought that if I burned off a lot of calories during the day and during my workout ... I have created a calorie "deficit" and should have burnt off some fat ... so that the calories I eat late would go toward muscle repair ... and just replacing some of what I burned off ... but was thinking I should still have burned more than consumed ...and figured I should still be losing weight.

I think I'm going to try to get my prescription re-newed for Testosterone ... among other things, it helps aging men with slowing up hair loss, it helps them retain more muscle, helps with metabolism, etc .... I was on it for about a year ... I wonder if my metabolism is that slowed up and when I was on Test. that it boosted my metabolism enough that I would actually lose some weight from the proper diet and exercise like most normal people do ...

... if I get back on this I'll monitor the results and try to remember to post something about it ...  probably not a problem for most men here ... as I imagine most of you have always been in shape ... and probably younger ..

... after 15-20 years sitting behind a computer at work and doing nothing ... I was really out of shape and overweight ... so this slowed my metabolism .... and I when I had my physical it showed I was low on Test. .... so the doc put me on a patch ... maybe I still need this even though I have gotten into much better shape the last 6 months or so ...

2008-12-04 9:22 AM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY

I'm going to agree that it's more about diet in combination with the running. I've been running for 9 years and have done 5 marathons, but was never able to lose weight while doing it. I would start training, be hungrier and eat more, but wasn't making the right choices. I had acute PF in the winter and had to take off 4 months so I used that as an opportunity to change my diet and restrict a little since I wasn't training. I lost about 12 pounds and lost another 8 or so when I started tri training.

I've found that multisport is just better for my body and has allowed me to lose weight and keep it off much more easily than running alone. But I have to be pretty careful about what I eat or I'll be right back where I started. I don't think I ever have to worry about running myself too thin

2008-12-04 10:08 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ah my bad, yes I reflexively put in my weight for the calories burned on certain activities and didn't consider how much more is burned for taller bigger build folks.

I any case you have lost alot of weight and have probably plateued some. If it took 15-20 years to put it on, I imagine it will take 2-3 years to get the weight right where you want it.

For me getting the workouts over 60 minutes was a big help in losing some pounds, with 90 + minutes being better still.

The main thing is keep up the exercize and watch out for those... foods (the ones you can't resist). Holidays are also a dangerous time. I put on 5 pounds in 1 week at the grandparents over Thanksgiving (really poor food choices and grazing....), but am back down to normal after 4-5 days back at home in my low snack environment.

Luck to you.
2018-12-05 8:31 PM
in reply to: slake707

Losing weight is hard to do if we're stressed. I've tried so many diets and exercises, but all of them are not effective to lose some pounds.You can minimize your body's production of cortisol by simply by learning to relax. And if you need a little help doing this, medical marijuana could become your new best friend. Especially if it can shrink your waistline in the process. Nowadays, there are several products of cannabis created, not only for smoking. Like this one blimburnseeds.com/grandaddy-purple-seeds. So far, it really helps me to relax and I can see that there's a changes in my weight. If you have any questions or opinions please let me know. Thanks!

2018-12-05 9:26 PM
in reply to: Eunice117

User image

Pro
Eunice - what about Doritos? I remember eating a lot of Doritos while using cannabis to lose weight.
2018-12-06 11:46 AM
in reply to: Eunice117

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
A 10 year old thread awakened by Medical Marijuana, woohoo!
2018-12-07 7:22 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Regular
I'll go with the old adage that a great workout routine cannot overcome a bad diet.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do people literally run themself thin? Rss Feed  

of 3