General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diabetic diet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-27 3:04 PM

User image

Minnesota
Subject: Diabetic diet
I was recently diagnosed with type II diabetes. (strong family history). My diagnosis came in conjunction with a knee injury forcing a cycling/runnning layoff and accompanying wt gain. I have lost 20lb by eliminating almost all simple sugars, and my diabetic symptoms have gotten much better with these changes! Now that I'm getting back into the game, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for diet, while working out 8-12 hrs/wk as a diabetic. It also occurs to me that my symptoms may have been held at bay with my previous level of activity. Any ideas/suggestions from the diabetic Tri-community!?

2008-11-27 11:48 PM
in reply to: #1828955

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
Subject: RE: Diabetic diet
Ick! Type II is not fun. I'm in the same place. There isn't a lot of research out there about Type II triathletes. Most of them are in tha position because they hate to do the things that triathletes do.

As far as the diet goes, do your best. I usually just try to eat as clean as possible with as many nutrients as I can pack into things. One word of warning. . . be careful with the gels. I was training for an Iron last year. The gels kept spiking my blood sugar and making it difficult to control. After training 15-18 hours a week for 6 months, I ended up with 5lbs extra body fat. Yuck! Look for the gels and drinks that have a little protein in them. It will help slow the absorbtion of the sugars.

Bottom line: Do some research on Type II and how it works and what all it means. Then when you read things about how you are supposed to eat or workout, put it into context of what you know and see how it applies to you in your own situation.
2008-12-05 5:20 AM

User image

My fasting insulin was in the 26-29 range on my blood tests and now it's under 2 (very healthy) I did this by continually watching what I eat and when I eat it.

Do you know your fasting Hemoglobin A1C, Insulin and Mean Plasma Glucose?

Are you on glucophage (metformin) or insulin and how much do you take each day in total? 

Were you first diagnosed as insulin resistant or with metabolic syndrome? 

Regardless, your goal should be to reverse your type II diabetes as much as possible. If you're diligent you have a great chance of eventually getting off insulin and or metformin. Focus on the lowest glycemic foods you can find. Eat 6-7 small meals a day. Large carb meals spike your blood sugar and need for insulin. Your goal should be to make your body more sensitive to insulin. Don't eat carbohydrate meals large enough to spike your blood sugar levels much.

When it come to carbs eat all the raw green vegetables you can handle.  If you can't handle the fiber and bulk then get a juicer and drink the juice. 

Fresh or frozen, cherries, blueberries, strawberries are very low on the glycemic index and I get a good deal of my carbs from them. Always in moderation. Breads are too high in the glycemic index. The only low glycemic bread that I know of is Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted grain bread. http://www.foodforlife.com/ It's glycemic index is 36.

I usually don't eat for 2 hours before a race or training. Once you start exercising you can absorb carbs without spiking your blood glucose levels. 5-10 minutes before you start is ok but no sooner. The only time you can pretty much gob down carbs that are not low glycemic  is while you're into your workout and within 30 minutes after your workout. The most your body can absorb while biking or jogging is about 300-400 calories of carbs per hour. So don't go over board. You can add some Scivation Xtend to your drinks while riding. They contain BCCA's and other easily digestible proteins to help ATP Production and lower lactic acid levels.

Always check your blood glucose levels after your workout. Eventually you'll find a balance to hold a 75-95 range when your done with a workout. A healthy blood glucose level is around 80 but doctors don't want you to go into insulin shock so they might tell you to keep it under 150 or 200. That's really not healthy and down the road you'll run into diabetic complications like diabetic neuropathy. The key is to to try and live such a healthy lifestyle that you don't need insulin anymore. Not always possible but a realistic goal for many type II diabetics.

Numerous studies have shown that Grapefruits or grapefruit juice makes your body more insulin sensitive. 1/2 grapefruit 3 times per day helps your body put carbs into your muscles instead of into fat stores. Grapefruit can also lower your insulin needs to be careful and monitor your blood glucose. Grapefruit has many interactions with medications so study them. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN00413

&...

2008-12-07 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey chuck in st. paul:

I am a Type II diabetic. Have been for over 20 years. I have those "strong family history" (i.e. genetic) thing going on! Your observations that "symptoms may have been held at bay with previous level of activity" is not far off. I elected to not take insulin which my doctor wanted me to do. He said if I was not going to go the insulin route, then I needed to exercise a minimum of 40 minutes per day most likely for the rest of my life. The triathlon lifestyle fits perfectly!

Technologist had some great advice. I follow a five meal per day plan of 300 to 400 calories per meal. You might check out the American Heart Association diet which was recommended by the ADA and by my doctor. It is basically what Technologist was referencing. The only variation or thing I might add is that if you do have any carbs (breads/rice), make sure it is brown (or wheat). The wheat takes longer to break down into sugars and you can utilize it instead of it turning into blood sugars and you throwing it. I've used bake yam chips instead of potatoes.

You need to take care of the diabetes and test during your training to see how your body reacts to your condition. All of us are different. If you want to PM with any personal questions, please do so and I will be glad to answer them.

The key to handling your condition is to learn as much as possible about it and learn how your body reacts to your condition when it is under intense exercise.

Rich M
Cyclingmaniac
Ironman Arizona Finisher - November 2008
2008-12-07 9:50 PM
in reply to: #1829215

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
gcirongirl - 2008-11-27 11:48 PM

Ick! Type II is not fun. I'm in the same place. There isn't a lot of research out there about Type II triathletes. Most of them are in tha position because they hate to do the things that triathletes do.

As far as the diet goes, do your best. I usually just try to eat as clean as possible with as many nutrients as I can pack into things. One word of warning. . . be careful with the gels. I was training for an Iron last year. The gels kept spiking my blood sugar and making it difficult to control. After training 15-18 hours a week for 6 months, I ended up with 5lbs extra body fat. Yuck! Look for the gels and drinks that have a little protein in them. It will help slow the absorbtion of the sugars.

Bottom line: Do some research on Type II and how it works and what all it means. Then when you read things about how you are supposed to eat or workout, put it into context of what you know and see how it applies to you in your own situation.

Have you used Infinit? My sports nutritionist put me on that and seemed to work well. Just curious if you ever tracked your blood sugars after your race. With me, my sports nutritionist and I learned that my blood sugar may be high immediately after a workout, but with in 1 hr and 15 minutes, my blood sugar would drop to dangerous hypoglycemic levels. Might be interesting for you to see what happens.

Rich Miller
Cyclingmaniac - Type II Diabetic

2008-12-07 11:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
No, I haven't tried that. I actually have never heard of it, but now that you mention it, it happens to be the banner ad that is going on as I type this. Weird!

Have you tried it on any long courses? I noticed that fueling for an Iron versus an Oly is way different. I can handle the Oly distance without too much trouble as long as I stick to my plan, but the training and racing for the Iron was so hard on me nutritionally that I have figured that my long course days were over. If Infinit can get me through that, I would be thrilled. I'll have to take a look at it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diabetic diet Rss Feed