General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Safe to Buy Bike off Ebay? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-06 12:39 PM

User image

Regular
Malibu, California
Subject: Safe to Buy Bike off Ebay?
I came home from break and my Dad had a new road bike waiting for me, but this thing is a POS. I'm kinda low on dough and want to spend as little money as I can on getting a solid bike. Would it be alright to search for one and buy one off of Ebay? Plus, I'm only 5'8"...how long should the distance between my seat and handlebars be?

2005-03-06 2:32 PM
in reply to: #126024

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Safe to Buy Bike off Ebay?
Buying off Ebay can be safe, provided you take proper precautions. I would advise that you only buy from someone with a very high feedback rating. And I would sue a bank credit card through Paypal. Also, there are several reputable companies that sell on Ebay, WW.PreownedBikes.com is the outlet branch of a huge bicycle company, Quitana Roo, Litespeed, Merlin, etc. I would give them a try first. As far as fit is concerned, if you are talking about a road bike, the best fit calculator that I have found is at www.wrenchscience.com. I think that is a good place to start.

Also, what kind of bike did your Dad get you? It might not be as bad as you think. Always remember, it is the thought that counts.

Edited by Hermom 2005-03-06 2:35 PM
2005-03-06 4:42 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
I have bought 2 bikes off of ebay and had good luck. You just have to be a smart shopper. You need to have all the info that fits you. ALso, it helps to shop around a bit and know what you want. Also, you need to know and get a deal. Dont over spend and that includes shipping. Sometimes a good deal is good but gets costly due to shipping. The same bike may be bought locally w/. service at some to the prices the internet shops are. However, if you are looking to only spend a small amount of $ and are willing to take a small chance then a good used bike may be for you. Just ask questions and be a savvy shopper.
2005-03-06 5:10 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

Judging by your comment, "Plus, I'm only 5'8"...how long should the distance between my seat and handlebars be?", it seems that you have no idea what size of bike would fit you.  Before you buy a bike, whether on e-bay or in a bike shop, find out what size you need by getting fitted by a knowledgeable person.  It's no use buyin that "bargain of a lifetime" bike if it does not fit you.

As for buying on e-bay, remember the old saying "let the buyer beware!"  Do the research on each seller to ensure that the deal you are looking at is not a scam.  And, make whatever payment through paypal or some other such device.

2005-03-06 5:26 PM

Veteran
MO

Wow! It was really nice of your dad to buy you a bike! It's cool that he listens to you enough to know what you're really interested in, even if his attempt at a gift was a tiny bit misguided.

I bought my road bike on eBay. Cannondale R800 with Ultegra components for about $350. I'm really happy with it. I agree with the recommendations to go with a highly rated seller, and there's an option for sellers to use some sort of guarantee through PayPal -- I haven't bought anything in awhile so I don't remember exactly how it works, but it appears as an icon next to their PayPal icon in their sale listing. You can read about it on the eBay website. If the seller has opted for that, it provides an extra level of insurance for both of you.

2005-03-06 6:45 PM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

Safe? With due diligence and checking into how reputable a seller is and ensuring you leave a paper trail in case you need to file a claim (happened to me, got burned selling) it can be a haven for true deals.

Bought my bike through eBay 2 months ago, paying less than 1/2 of what it would have retailed for and saved more by arranging pickup instead of having it shipped. Make sure you check the shipping charges and get a quote before you bid, and be sure to ask lots of questions before bidding.

BTW how about more info on this 'POS' - it might be worthwhile swapping out a few parts and/or adding equipment on a lower end new bike, or even just leaving it as is for this season before taking the plunge and investing in a higher-end bike...and it really does become an investment, with the amount of money you can easily sink into a primo ride.

Being 'low on dough', it might just be a matter of just sucking it up and making do this year.

2005-03-07 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somerville
I agree with the suggestion that you go to the bike shop and get fitted. Armed with that knowledge (and if you see any particular bikes you like) go back home and search Ebay for what you want. Definitely stick with sellers with a high feedback rating, and carefully look at the description as well as email any questions to the seller.

I did this and ended up getting my Trek 5200 OCLV for only $900 from a guy in Florida who moved on to another high end bike. It was really well packaged by his LBS and in near pristine condition when I got it. (Not to mention, it came with Spinergy REV X wheels as well as the original set). There are great deals out there, especially if you want to get a used or last year's model bike.

Good luck and happy hunting!
2005-03-07 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Sounds like ebay might be a good idea but I would like to run something by everyone that the guy at one of the LBSs told me. (granted he is in the biz to sell bikes.. but here goes..)

He pointed out that in many many cases nice bikes with nice components were likely ridden by people (like us) who put some major miles on their bikes. His point was that many of these second hand bikes are up for sale because the components have lots of miles on them and either are up for, or will soon be up for some replacements.

He seemed like a super nice guy and I believe he has a point but i'd like to run this all by everyone here and see what they think.

Thanks
Will

2005-03-07 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somerville
Will,

This is a very good point, and something to be considered. Be sure to ask the seller that question before committing to a bid. A reputable seller will be glad to divulge this type of information.
2005-03-07 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Buyer beware is great advise....I did however got a truly fabntastic deal I bought over $3000 worth of bike and accessories for less than $1000 so the deals are there but you have to do your homework...know what a bike with the components and style costs new to make sure you are not getting ripped off....also look at the seller... what is his track record...good luck finding a deal...
2005-03-07 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
Tom Demerly at Bikesport Michigan wrote a good editorial on buying used bikes. Yes, he is in the business of selling new bikes, but he makes good points that a buyer should consider.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/editorials/0000053.shtml

2005-03-07 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
Both my tri bike and my brothers are off ebay in the last year or so. You should know what you are looking for and only from a reputable seller. I personally would only buy from a local seller so I could arrange a local pick up and test the bike out. Take an experienced bike person with you to verify the deal. My brother bought his Kestrel this way for less than half of retail. The bike was low mileage and looked great. And he still paid by CC via Paypal.

But beware their are some scammers out there.

Whatever you get make sure you get it fitted correctly to you as this makes all the difference. I am 5'8" and ride a 54cm Trek. I can fit on most 55cm road bikes. The top tube is roughly the same length but this fit length can vary with your torso/arm length, aerobar/stem, bike config, etc.

Good luck.
2005-03-07 6:27 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

I bought my first tri bike (QR Tequilo) off of e-bay for $700.  It was a 2001 that was purported to have 700 miles on it.

Well the bad news is that it didn't have 700 miles as I had to replace the bottom bracket and chain.

The good news was that's all I had to replace as the cassette was fine and it fit well...did fit research prior to purchasing.  The other good news is that it was an AWESOME bike and very light (17lbs race weight) and aero and it served me well.  Since I spent just a little $$$ on the bike I was able to buy zipp 404s used on e-bay for $750.

My zipp 404s worked out nicely.  I had to replace a spoke as I broke on on a 1/2 IM race I did (luckily had duct tape wrapped around my seat post that came in handy for the quick fix on the race course....<25 sec) but that's quite common I've come to understand with zipp 404s on bumpy roads and is a VERY cheap and easy fix.

All in all, I feel that the benefits (less $$$ spent) outweight the risks (getting scammed) if you ask questions first, bid later, and purchase from someone with reputable feedback.

2005-03-07 10:57 PM

I just brought a bike off ebay and paid $650 for it after the repair bill it actually cost me $920. The back hub was shot, 2 cables need replacing. The bike was listed as 'recently serviced' and in 'excellent condition'. I have been doing back and forth emailing with the @#$%$#^& I bought it off but it looks like I won't get any joy there. My 'bargain' soon turned into a nightmare and for $920 I could have bought something alot better. Buyer beware!!!!!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Safe to Buy Bike off Ebay? Rss Feed