Kaysville, Utah
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was excited that yesterday I finally find a 5k race not too far from Ogden that I could run today. So, after a long drive yesterday, I woke up early this morning to run the 5k...

I had some soda left over from the drive last night, so I drank a little, and drove through a McDonalds and got a McMuffin (with no Canadian Bacon)

I was happy that I found the park okay, and I was one of the first people to register. I figured out quickly that this was going to be a small town race. It was raining a bit, and I was a bit nervous about it... but it stopped before the race started.

I went and found the ladies room, and it was locked!!! No Bathrooms!! I'm glad I only drank half a soda...

Event warmup:

I chatted with a few people, did a short warm-up run, stretched, then it was time to line-up. A few instructions from the RD & we were off!
Run
  • 33m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to run the full distance with no walking. And, I was hoping for a PR... My PR was from my first 5k last year on Thanksgiving... 34:56 I had run another 5k in April, and was hoping to PR, and I would have, but the course ran .2 miles long, and my time was 35:05...

So, today I ran without looking at my Garmin AT ALL... It beeps at the mile, and I noticed that I came to the mile marker before the beep... but I didn't look at the time... I took a quick sip of water at the halfway point, and didn't walk... I kept running, pushing, trying to pass people... I finally was able to pass 3 people at about 2.5 miles in... then the turn into the parking lot, and I could see the clock... 32:45ish... 33:00... I sped up to a sprint, and passed the clock at around 33:07? They were calling out the times, and I missed it. I stopped my Garmin around 20 seconds later at 33:27 YAY a Major PR!!! Or WAS it?

As I was talking to people, someone said they thought the course was short... and sure enough, I look at my Garmin and... 3.01 miles

I was disappointed to find out that they only kept track of the top 3 finishers, so, I don't know how I placed... I don't have a recorded time. And, I have a short course...I guess you gotta love (or hate) small town races...

Splits:
mile 1: 10:56
mile 2: 11:27
mile 3: 10:51
Post race
Warm down:

walk around - drink more water - walk and walk and walk

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the elevation in Utah (about 4500') affects my performance. I'm used to LV at about 2500'. When I run in Los Angeles - at the beach, I run faster.

Event comments:

This was the RD's first race, they did not record times for everyone... I suggested the popsicle stick system. They might use that in the future.

Last updated: 2008-11-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:07 | 03.11 miles | 10m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
can be found on my blog
Course: The course was flat and fast - it was a loop course with one aid station at the halfway point. GREAT volunteers for this race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes