Austin, Texas
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 40m 44s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 55/95
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around eight and headed over to the race start. Picked up number and t-shirt, then found out they didn't have any more safety pins for the numbers and I had forgotten my race belt doh! Figured out a way to attach my race number and then chowed down on a banana and muffin.
Event warmup:

Stretched out a bit before the race then went over to the start to try and get a decent spot. Ended up starting pretty close to the governor so that was pretty cool.
Run
  • 40m 44s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out a bit slow did the first two miles in just around 19 minutes which was way above what I was aiming for. Picked it up after that and tried to keep the pack pretty steady. only took water at one station and didn't get any cramps or side aches.
What would you do differently?:

The goal was sub 45 minutes which I accomplished but after seeing my time I know I could have done it under 40 had I not been so slow for the first two miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed another banana and a bottle of water and then headed back down the course to look for my dad and run the last bit with him.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lots of people at the start and didn't start with a quick enough pace. Missed the mile 1 marker so I didn't know how slow I was going.

Event comments:

Didn't stick around for any post race stuff had to get home and start getting ready for Turkey Day. Overall a well run event and hopefully I'll get to do it again next year.

Last updated: 2008-11-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:44 | 05 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 55/95
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: One loop around downtown Austin
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3