General Discussion Race Reports! » 99th Thanksgiving Day 10K Run - Cinti Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

99th Thanksgiving Day 10K Run - Cinti - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cincinnati, Ohio
United States
Bob Roncker's Running Spot
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 57s
Overall Rank = 1693/11541
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 158/587
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 6:30am and ate a bowl of cereal for breakfast. I had already set out clothes for the race so I got dressed very quickly in several layers of clothes. Temp was like 22 degrees when I woke up so I was thinking running in shorts was out. It did warm up as the sun came out though. I headed out for the trip downtown. I pulled into the parking lot right at 0800 after a bit of race parking traffic. Parked in the same spot as last year which is a good spot. Walked up to get my race number and chip and this was a bit disorganized. They really just needed a big sign telling people which line to get into. The volunteers were getting people through pretty quick though. I went out to meet a co-worker whose sons were running and found him. Decided to go with shorts, a s/s shirt under a l/s shirt under another l/s shirt, hat and gloves. I would say I was actually a bit overdressed, but nothing major.
Event warmup:

Handed off sweat pants and sweatshirt to coworker who held them for me. I waited too long to get to the start area as the crowd was thick and I was having a real problem getting through. I finally made it down to about the 8:15 starting area when they announced 20 seconds until race start. I got zero warmup which on a cold day like this was a mistake. At least I didn't have to start way in the back though. Note-next year get to start area 15 minutes early.
Run
  • 49m 57s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

It took me a couple of minutes to get across the start line once the race started. Once I got there, I tried to get running hard right off the bat. Once again, I ran into the same problem as every year... walkers and slow runners up front. I did a lot of weaving in and out to get around them. I was a bit peaved about it but the more I think about it, it is a fun race and I was glad to see so many people of all abilities. I'm not the fastest runner myself.

It was very crowded pretty much the whole time but especially in the first two miles. I passed mile 1 at 8:40 which I was okay with but would've like to have been a bit faster. I missed mile 2 somehow but got the rest of the splits. Mile 2/3 averaged an 8:06 split which is pretty good for me and I was still feeling totally fine. When we got to the first bridge I really tried to hammer it up the hill. I was able to recover a bit at the top of the hill and then I hammered it back down. I did that on all the bridges/hills and passed a ton of people. I was pretty much passing people the whole way which is a very nice motivator.

I hit the halfway water stop and drank a full glass of water on the fly. I remember feeling pretty thirsty. The asphalt at the water stop was slippery because all the water that had spilled was freezing. I didn't hear of any accidents though. After the water stop is the 2nd bridge to Covington and then not long after is the 3rd bridge back to Cinti. This portion of the race is the same as the Flying Pig course so I am pretty familiar with it.

Once over the last bridge I knew it was about a mile to the finish. I was running pretty hard now and giving it my all. I was looking at my watch to try to calculate an under 50 min finish. I was looking pretty good for a 10K PR (52 min) but I didn't think I was going to make under 50. I just decided to give it all I had and go for it and not hold anything back. The last section of the race takes you past the finish line and out and back around to the final stretch. It's about a half mile once you see the finish on your right. When I came back around and saw the 6 mile mark I had about a minute and a half left and again didn't think I'd make it under 50 but just went for the all out sprint. Needless to say I crossed the line at 49:57 and I had nothing left! It was a great feeling and a great race.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I could've done, I gave it my all the whole time. I would've like to have gotten under an 8 min/mile pace but I don't know where I could've found the extra 20 or 25 seconds. Maybe next year.
Post race
Warm down:

I stood around watching some finishers without putting my warm clothes back on and I got a little tight. I walked around after that and even did some jogging to warm back up. I did a good stretch when I got back to the car. The food area was so crowded I couldn't even get in there to get a water. I had some in the car so I just left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

This was the 99th running of this race so I think they know what they are doing. I love running in big races like this but at the same time, dealing with the crowds is a pain. I think they should consider passing out water bottles as you finish or moving the food area to a more open area. It was so crowded I just couldn't even get in there. I still love this race and will be back next year for the 100th.

Last updated: 2008-11-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:57 | 06.21 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 158/587
Overall: 1693/11541
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 8:40, Mile 2/3 - 16:12, mile 4 - 8:10, mile 5 - 8:01, Mile 6 - 7:31, Mile 6.2 - 1:22
Course: Winds up through downtown Cincinnati with a hill right in the first mile. Eventually crosses over hilly bridge into Newport, KY. Then over another bridge into Covington, KY, then a third bridge back to Cinti. Starts and finishes in front of Paul Brown Stadium. All three bridges were decent hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-11-29 8:12 AM

User image

Liberty Township, Ohio
Subject: 99th Thanksgiving Day 10K Run - Cinti

2008-11-29 10:23 PM
in reply to: #1830109

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Subject: RE: 99th Thanksgiving Day 10K Run - Cinti
GREAT JOB!  Way to give 100% and PR! It's a great feeling. Start up front next year...no weaving in and out!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 99th Thanksgiving Day 10K Run - Cinti Rss Feed