Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-12-01 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1830212

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Ironman Brand

Chessieman was like that.  There was a point on the bike where I literally did not see another soul for over 30 minutes.  I was too far behind the fast swimmer/cyclists but I had crushed all the slower cyclists/average swimmers and was in no man's land.  I actually thought I may have made a wrong turn somewhere!  But there were officers directing us at all corners, so I was on course.  I can't imagine what it must have been like for the people doing the full (I was doing the iron distance aqua velo as a warm up for Florida) on the run when 1/2 the field was out from finishing the aqua velo!!

It was just weird going from that to 6 weeks later being in a race where there was never someone less than 50 yards or so away on the bike.

2008-12-01 3:32 PM
in reply to: #1832892

User image

Champion
Alabama
Daremo - 2008-12-01 3:10 PM

Chessieman was like that.  There was a point on the bike where I literally did not see another soul for over 30 minutes.  I was too far behind the fast swimmer/cyclists but I had crushed all the slower cyclists/average swimmers and was in no man's land.  I actually thought I may have made a wrong turn somewhere!  But there were officers directing us at all corners, so I was on course.  I can't imagine what it must have been like for the people doing the full (I was doing the iron distance aqua velo as a warm up for Florida) on the run when 1/2 the field was out from finishing the aqua velo!!

This can be disconcerting.  On two seperate occasions in IMKY I found myself all alone on the bike couse and thought I'd missed a turn.  I figured I'd just gotten lost in the vast wilderness of my mind and blew right by the turn.  On one of those occasions, when I finally did see another rider my first thought was "Oh good, another idiot like me missed the turn....I don't feel so bad now."  But w/i a few miles I saw other riders and knew I had not missed a turn.  

~Mike

2008-12-01 3:40 PM
in reply to: #1832946

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Rogillio - 2008-12-01 3:32 PM
Daremo - 2008-12-01 3:10 PM

This can be disconcerting.  On two seperate occasions in IMKY I found myself all alone on the bike couse and thought I'd missed a turn.  I figured I'd just gotten lost in the vast wilderness of my mind and blew right by the turn.  On one of those occasions, when I finally did see another rider my first thought was "Oh good, another idiot like me missed the turn....I don't feel so bad now."  But w/i a few miles I saw other riders and knew I had not missed a turn.  

~Mike

I had this on my first HIM where about 4 of us coming to a turn kind of looked at each other like 'um, so is this the way we go?'.  A few weeks prior, the RD put on an oly where about half the field was not directed to make a turn and got lost.  The guy had his USAT endorsement lifted a year or so later.  I think the IM brand gives you some insight as to quality and soundness, not saying there are not good races out there which are well run.  Just make sure you do your research.  Saving a few bucks is great, but sometimes saving a few bucks aint so great too!   Like I said, looking to expand my race resume as I would rather find out than take folks word on what races i would or would not enjoy.
2008-12-02 12:37 PM
in reply to: #1831110

User image

Fishers, IN

I know what all I said yesterday and I do feel that way if you go the distance you are an ironman even if it is in your own back yard and pool, but I like larger races personally because they provide me with a different stimulus than the day to day run.  There are lots of people who hate the "crowded" big city marathons and the like but I love them so.  With their seeding systems I have been able to get sufficiently up front to where it really does not matter much - I would think most of us more devoted souls can get up front.  I like the crowd recognizing your accomplishment.  Mdot does not ensure this, but # of race participants correlates well with this. 

I love big city marathons because for one moment in time I feel like a rock star!  When I go long, I think I will go Mdot, the distance/personal accomplisment is the same regardless.  I just like the crowds.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Brand Rss Feed  

of 3