General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St A's Meeky & Mighty Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-29 8:06 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: St A's Meeky & Mighty Question

I participated in St Anthony's last year (and plan to again this year) and now my wife and son want in on the action.

Both my wife and 7-1/2 year old son would like to participate in the M&M this year.  We are VERY protective parents (possibly too much but that's besides the point).  My question is about the course.  Is the entire ride/run visible from a single point?  My concern is letting a 7 year old out of my sight for too long with so many people around. 

If it is not would it be possible for my wife to do the evnt along side my son?  Is this common?

Anyone who has done this event (or let their kids do it) please give me your insight.

Thanks..

2008-12-01 9:55 AM
in reply to: #1830562

User image

Veteran
Parrish, Florida
Subject: RE: St A's Meeky & Mighty Question
My son did the M&M last year (age 9) and the short answer to your question is no. There are points during the bike and run where the kids are out of sight. Also, I don't recall any parents doing the events with their kids...and there were some young ones in the event. However, I can't say that is definitely not allowed, just that I didn't see it.

That being said, the event is very organized and there was plenty of adult supervision along the course. Even though there are sections you wouldn't be able to maintain visual with your child (unless you move rapidly along the course yourself), I had no concerns for the safety of the kids are my son will be doing it again this year...that is, if I can actually even get into the registration site!!!!!

Hope this helped...

2008-12-01 10:36 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Thanks for the information.  I guess I need to relax a little.  I'm just one of those parents who NEVER let him out of my sight.
2008-12-01 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1832261

Clearwater, FL

TriRSquared - 2008-12-01 11:36 AM Thanks for the information.  I guess I need to relax a little.  I'm just one of those parents who NEVER let him out of my sight.

Dude, no reason to apologize for being protective over your child.  I am the exact same way.  When other parents tell me to chill out I simply ask them what a child molester looks like.  I know that is drastic, but at what lengths would you not go for your child(ren)?

2008-12-01 2:18 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Yeah, I usually tell people that Id' rather be an overprotective parent WITH a child than a more lax parent WITHOUT one.

What happened to the day when we used to ride bikes for hours on end, all over town.

"Just be home for dinner..." mom would say. <sigh>

2008-12-02 6:29 AM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

My kids did M&M.  My son was 11, my daughter 7.  They both did fine, although I was worried about them.  It's clearly marked and the volunteers are great to help out kids who forget what to do.  It was hard to keep track of the two of them though because they started at different times.  When one was in the pool, the other was biking.  Made for a stressful morning for me running back and forth as to not miss either of them and get pictures.  Luckily I had tons of friends there to help out and they got some great photos for me. 

Overall, it's a great event for the kids and both of my kids still talk about it.  Although my daughter prefers the Disney's kids' tri better.

2008-12-02 7:11 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I did this with my dad last year (Yes he survived lung cancer to do his first triathlon at age 69 thank you very much) Course is the same for the kids.  Definately will be out of your sight on the bike.  The pool is a time trial start so no worries and you can follow him thru transition.  The run is pretty safe.  He might be out of sight but only for a short period of time.  The run kind of circles around and there really is not anywhere for someone to jump out or anything.  If I had a kid I would feel very safe letting them participate
2009-01-03 3:20 PM

New user

My daughter did this race at age 7 and 8, and is signed up again this year. Very well-organized. I felt very secure with her safety during the race. We went the day before to scope out the course so she would know what to do. We practiced her transitions in the hotel room. The volunteers on the course are outstanding. My daughter had trouble the first year actually getting on her bike (nerves) and a volunteer held the bike for her and gave her a little push to get her going. Very sweet. Last year, she couldnt remember where to rack her bike, and a volunteer actually took the bike for her and racked it. They go out of their way to make sure the kids have a good time. You can see your child during the whole swim (time trial), in transition (from the fences-you can't go in to help), duirng the in/out part of the bike (it is a loop, so he'll be out of sight for a few minutes), and during the finish line for the run (out of sight during the back side of the run loop). The course is very crowded with children, and the sidewalks are very crowded with parents, so it would probably not work to try to run along side him for the entire race, but there's really no need. The course is very well-marked and the race director and volunteers are spectacular. You can contact the race director if you have concerns about background checks for the volunteers, but the course is closed, and so no "strangers" would be able to jump onto the course and take your child off the bike or run course. There are just way too many adult volunteers out there, enough for the kids' safety and for parents peace of mind. Enjoy the morning! Your child will have a great race!
2009-01-05 3:11 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Thanks for the info Stacey.  We have him all signed up.  Now to work on his swim
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St A's Meeky & Mighty Question Rss Feed