General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on IM year race schedule Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-30 4:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Advice on IM year race schedule

I'm doing IM Cozumel in November 2009 and looking at scheduling the rest of my 2009 season.  I'm planning on doing at least one HIM (maybe two) on June 6th and maybe July 17th.  What advice can you give me on scheduling the season?  I'm sure there is a balance between what is too little and what is too much as far as other races go. Thanks!

2008-11-30 4:26 PM
in reply to: #1831124

Champion
No excuses!
Subject: RE: Advice on IM year race schedule

What are your goals for the races? Are you racing them?  Training through them? What other distances and types of races are you looking at?

2008-11-30 4:47 PM
in reply to: #1831130

User image

Veteran
My goal for the IM is just to finish.  I thought it would be good have a HIM early in the season (or two) to keep motivation throughout the year, followed by some shorter distances (olympics) through the summer and early fall.  
2008-11-30 5:48 PM

User image

Champion
MA

It will be a long season, I recommend having a mid season break to let your body and mind recover. It is hard to be on for a really long time.

If you have a clump of races June/July with the HIM being the last race in July I'd suggest taking a week off and a second week of doing what you feel like but easy before you start to build up to your IM.

If it seems strange to take a breat, check out some blogs of those that did IMAZ this year and ask them if they took a break, if they wish they had, and how they felt towards the end of their training.  It is tough to be focused for so long.

2008-11-30 6:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
98hogbay - 2008-11-30 3:21 PM

I'm doing IM Cozumel in November 2009 and looking at scheduling the rest of my 2009 season.  I'm planning on doing at least one HIM (maybe two) on June 6th and maybe July 17th.  What advice can you give me on scheduling the season?  I'm sure there is a balance between what is too little and what is too much as far as other races go. Thanks!

This might sound a bit strange but take two weeks "off" and two weeks unstructured after your Half IM in June (I recommend just one and the earlier of the two).

Think about 2009 as two seasons, not one.  If you talk to people that did Nov AZ, then you'll find that it is REALLY tough to be fit, fresh, focused in November.  Everything around you will be saying "time to rest"... your friends, nature... you name it.  The entire hemisphere is winding down...  

So... start your preparations late, train for the Half IM with a focus on cycling endurance, take a solid mid-year break... then start "training" for your IM.  

Pace your entire year so your best training happens in October.  

Hope this helps,

g

2008-11-30 7:09 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I did IMAZ in November and I have a few pieces of advice.

This first one might depend on where you live.  If you are a northerner it IS going to get too cold to do too many effective long rides outside.  The weather just won't cooperate.  I ended up scheduling a two week "warm weather destination" training vacation.  I headed to Tucson for a week and then Phoenix for another week to make sure I got some good solid training in during the "cold season".  It coincided with my two biggest training weeks and it was AWESOME.  For two weeks all I had to worry about was training.

Second, to reiterate on what many people said above...it's going to be a long season.  By November, everyone around you is going to be talking about the "off season" and taking time off after their races, etc. etc.  I truly believe the ONLY reason I didn't completely burn out by November was because I didn't even "start" my season until August.  I was deployed from Jan-July and while I TRAINED I didn't eat/breathe/sleep triathlon.  So, SERIOUSLY think about that.  Um, not getting deployed obviously...I meant think about not killing yourself early in the year.  It will pay dividends!

So those are my two pieces of advice:

1. Do a "warm weather training vacation" at the peak point of your training.
2. Start your season later than you normally would.

2008-11-30 9:11 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

I'm also doing IM Cozumel next year.  It will be my 2nd IM, and after experiencing major IM burn out from training the first time I am taking a break from structured training before my IM training starts back up.  I'll  be doing a 1/2 IM in early May, and then maybe doing a bike focus plan (I am really weak on the bike and have some work to do with that) while maintaining my swimming and running.  Then I'll hit IM training pretty hard.  I do have a 1/2 IM scheduled during my IM training at the end of Sept. that I'll just use as a long training day to test out hydration, nutrition, etc. 

Last time I was training for an IM I used the BT 3 month bridge from 1/2 IM to IM plan.  It worked really well and I liked the fact that I was only "specifically" training for an IM for 3 months.  Not sure if I can handle a 5 month plan mentally- it's such a long time.  I am still deciding if I want to use the bridge plan again or try for a 5 month plan.  I guess I have plenty of time to decide.

I personally would take a short break from structured training after your first 1/2 IM and maybe find one later in the season before Cozumel to use as a test run.  But I'm only saying that because that's what I'm doing

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on IM year race schedule Rss Feed