LaSalle Bank
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 27m 9s
Overall Rank = 24445/31342
Age Group = M33
Age Group Rank = 2362/
Pre-race routine:

Had a half decent room right on Grant Park, so walked to the start after some perpetuem and a banana.
Event warmup:

Hanging out, porta potty line.. said good luck to Jeff who headed off to his front corral.
Run
  • 5h 27m 9s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, this was just a fluke that I figured why not give it a shot since I was there. I basically did no training for this thing. Ran a 17 miler about 2 weeks earlier and almost didn't make it! :) So I figured, what were the odds this years race would be crazy hot. Well, so much for playing the odds. The race temp went up to 86 degrees, high humidity. It was brutal out there. I was on the course long enough that they changed the status of the course to RED which had them bring out emergency bottled watter, and open the hydrants.. which I have to say really get you wet when you run through them. Not quite like running through a garden hose. Around mile 24 or something I ran through one and it was like being on a submarine that was hit. I was soaked but I loved it. Not a good idea to run a marathon w/o training, but in the end I finished, and sometimes that's just a good feeling. If I trained, what's the challenge? :)
What would you do differently?:

If I had any brains I won't try to run a marathon w/o training... but it was a fun day overall..
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down? It was almost 90 degrees... I gladly grabbed the bags of ice they had at the finish and put it on my head and quads.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, and lack of training..

Event comments:

A "mega" race with 30,000+ runners in a big city. Very organzied, even with the heat, it seems they had their act together and planned accordingly this year... Nice and flat. Could see how a cool day and training could shoot for a PR someday..

Last updated: 2008-03-21 12:00 AM
Running
05:27:09 | 26.2 miles | 12m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 2362/
Overall: 24445/31342
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4