United States
25F / -4C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 27/37
Age Group = Cat4
Age Group Rank = 27/37
Pre-race routine:

Walk a lap of the course and try to stay warm. Get over to the school and pick up my number, then ride 2 laps. I got familiar with best lines, knew where the problem sections were and figured out the technical aspects of the course (there were plenty)
Event warmup:

Ride 2 laps of the course to get the technical stuff figured out. Some roots and a water crossing to get right (stream w/ pallets). Got my HR up a copule times to >140, then get over for the start.
Bike
  • 56m
  • 7.46 miles
  • 7.99 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was really a mountain bike course. It might have been better had the ground not been frozen as ATV's had rutted up some sections and the center was the only viable line. But, it's the same for everybody, right :-) It was a good power course and relied on lots of momentum changes.
What would you do differently?:

Work to hang with a group. Even though it hurts, last week hanging with other riders helped me out. This became a personal time trial after 2 laps.
Post race
Warm down:

Recover, change and go to the bike swap. Nothing bought, but lots to lust over...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being grouped up

Event comments:

Full results at: http://www.bikereg.com/Results/2008/11/30-Palmer-Cyclocross.asp

Last updated: 2008-12-02 12:00 AM
Biking
00:56:00 | 07.46 miles | 7.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/37
Overall: 27/37
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Almost all wooded. Start was on a 100 yard pavement section, then on the trails for most of the rest. A beaver added a log obstacle which the race organizers left. After the field, a short run up, some trail slogging, then a BIG run-up on the back of the course. More wooded sections, then through the football field o the school for the barriers and ending the lap with another modo run-up. I got lapped and did 4, the leaders did 5.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard