General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wear MDOT logo clothes before completing first IM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-12-02 4:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego
Subject: Wear MDOT logo clothes before completing first IM?

An interesting observation came about last week at IMAZ. In our group that went there to sign up for next year, the women had no problem with buying MDOT merchandise before actually completing an IM tri. (All of them are IM 70.3 finishers though) Their rational was that having these things gave them motivation to train for the race. Meanwhile all the guys in my group said no way did they want to test the IM gods and won't buy any MDOT gear till after finishing. 

What do you guys and gals think?

2008-12-02 5:10 PM
in reply to: #1835140

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Wear MDOT logo clothes before completing first IM?

Like buying NFL jerseys.   

I just don't think they should wear the finisher t-shirt, if they haven't done it.

2008-12-02 5:15 PM

Veteran
I say wear MDOT clothes - NEVER! You don't need the be that guy/gal, do you? I know this is not a populare view, but that is how i feel...same with those tattoos!
2008-12-02 5:22 PM

New user

Buying and wearing M-dot clothing a year in advance before completing an IM is totally taboo! Tthe M-dot gods will not smile down on those who fake being an ironman before their time.  And god help them that they don't get injured or hurt bcause of wearing them before becoming a finisher. ..... But it is acceptable to buy and wear M-dot clothing for race day on the weekend of your M-dot race and there after if you finish.   As for the finishers shirts?  I have never worn any of mine except to the awards dinner to get my free food, after that I hung it up on my wall of shame with all my other token awards over the years as conversation pieces.....Just my 2 cents
2008-12-02 5:25 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
I would never dream of wearing full IM gear from a race I haven't completed.

But with that said...I have a IM Kansas 70.3 cycling jersey with the m-dot on there and I do wear that. It was a gift from my mom for my first HIM. Yes, it has the logo, but I think it's in a context different that the full monty.

Now I don't have any intentions of buying myself an IMAZ shirt anytime soon. Just my own personal superstitions.
2008-12-02 5:30 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
What about an Ironman Timex watch?  I have one of those.  Am I doomed?

2008-12-02 6:24 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

maybe we're not talking about this at all --- but doesn't the M-dot corp make a ton of stuff (wetsuits, socks, watches etc.) that's intended to just sell as training/ racing gear?

(I don't own any of it, but I always thought there was MDOT logo race-specific shirts [to be worn only after a race, IMO] and MDOT training/ racing clothes [who cares?].

2008-12-02 6:33 PM

User image

Read my race report.  I wouldn't.

But if you don't have the time, my n=1 experiment proved that if you buy a specific race's MDot gear (NOT finisher's gear) you won't finish

I don't think timex iromman, or the ironman cologne, applies

2008-12-02 6:45 PM

User image

Champion
MA

People get really over the top about this question.

I bought an IMLP in training shirt before I did my first IM and wore it a lot...felt it applied.

When the company that ran the expo for NAS had a clearance sale 50-75% off last year I bought a bunch of stuff..when is IM stuff cheap? 

Finisher stuff I kept in a box until I finished the race. I did wear IMLP socks when training..used them as motivation to train. I did also wear a IMLP bike jersey while riding the trainer last winter again for me it was motivation to do the work so I'd be ready. I only wore the socks out in public. 

2008-12-02 7:47 PM

User image

Master

I won't wear anything from a race I haven't completed.

However, I did buy an IMFL coffee cup at the expo this year. The rationale is that when I use it at 4:30 a.m. it will remind me of my training goals.

2008-12-02 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
I don't ever wear anything I plan on wearing on race day. No underwear, socks, sunglasses, hats, a smile, or my wedding ring. Heck I don't even apply any speed stick to the old arm pits. Sure I look funny wearing a parka and Doc Martins in July but you gotta stick to your principles. I am glad I am not the only one with my head on straight and not doing anything crazy like wearing a shirt with a logo of the M-Dot on it. Imagine what the 300 pound lady at the register in Walmart would think if she saw you in that!

2008-12-02 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1835465

User image

Champion

Usually, I will buy the race-specific tri top as soon as I can because they often sell out of those.  Even at IMWI in 07 (my first), I picked up the bike jersey and tri top before finishing the race.  However, I refused to try them on until after I had finished.  It was akin to touching the Stanley Cup before you'd actually won it for yourself. 

Plus, and this may just be me, but I see a difference between a race-branded item (e.g., Ironman Kentucky visor) that happens to have the m-dot in the design, and an item that simply has a free-standing M-dot. 

My feeling is that a race-branded item simply means that you attended or, if you're a competitor, raced in the race. 

The stand-alone M-dot, on the other hand, has a different connotation to it as symbolizing someone who has completed a 140.6 race (I don't delineate between WTC and non-WTC races) and earned the right to call themselves an Ironman.

My $0.02.  YMMV.

2008-12-03 12:21 AM

Champion
No excuses!

Sweeeeetttt!!!!!

We haven't had the usual strength training, supplements or even mdot tattoo threads lately so this is a sure fire popcorn duty thread Laughing

Now who wants extra butter?

2008-12-03 1:28 AM
in reply to: #1836065

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-12-03 5:38 AM
in reply to: #1835152

Extreme Veteran

Before IMKY 08 I would not wear anything M-Dot nor would I even let someone refer to me as an Ironman.  I stayed far away from labeling myself before I crossed the finish line.  "IRONMAN" is a title that can only be EARNED, NEVER given/bought/borrowed.

But I'm sure their not the first nor will they be the last.

2008-12-03 6:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island

Kathy hits the nail square on this. The triathlon community is getting way over the top about the Mdot stuff. I mean, seriously, do we care that much what someone else wears? The only person that we should care about is the one that stares back at you when you look in the mirror. For the majority of us, THAT is who the race is against anyway.

I say blow the thought energy thinking about the guest list to your annual holiday party (that is what I will be doing this afternoon). All BTers are invitied!

2008-12-03 8:16 AM

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
Here's a multipart answer, popcorn ready?

I owned an "Ironman" labeled workout shirt for years and more recently some Spenco Ironman labeled Gel Gloves, and I wore these in training before my event. The gloves are just the best Gel out there, and if I never did an Ironman they'd still be my favorites, logo or not. The T-Shirt however, was bought especially as a motivational tool, and it very much worked. When I wore it I worked hard, whether it was an hour-long crutch-walk in 2004 just after the 6 hour surgery to repair putting the head of my femur through the socket of my hip in a bicycle accident, or a 3 hour lifting session in the pre-season last year after signing up for IMAZ Nov, my first IM. I wore that shirt between doing the math and deciding just after the surgery in 2004 that if I could walk again I could do an IM, because becoming an Ironman isn't a single-day process, and much of the process is about believing you can accomplish, and then visualize-pursue-and-realizing that goal.

Also, before November's race, from eBay I bought a Polo and fleece sweatshirt that both had the IMAZ logo on them. I wore the Polo a couple times in the weeks leading up to the race. Wearing it symbolized the normalizing of the event out of the realm of a long-held private dream into something I was comfortable with and was about to participate in. I'd even say wearing that shirt in my daily life "gave me power", and I got it much cheaper than I could have at the expo.

Now for added fun- I've been at races that ended up giving out "Finisher's" shirts to all participants, when, due to weather, of the 1900 entrants they had only 700 finishers. And I never saw such hullabaloo on a message board.
My take has always been "Your shirt means what it means to you. Because only you know what kind of race you had" or heck, if your brother gave it to you. The race committee decides what's given out, and why. They decided in this case, to make the "Finisher's" shirt a "Participants" shirt for that race. That doesn't change that your shirt means what it means to you, and in fact, it drives home the idea. Shirts the same, but for some it was 13miles up and a frigid Mtn-top finish they'll never forget, and for most it was up to 9 miles up, turned back, and so up to 9 more miles down. A real trudge they'll never forget either.

Just before IMAZ, I bought an Ironman-logo-ed Headsweats hat that was on special at the epxo, and wore it during the run. It's just like the other 5 Headsweats hats I've owned, and I didn't know they'd be giving me a finisher's hat, but having worn it during the race, it will have special meaning.

After finishing IMAZ 10 days ago, I bought some of the new-and-cheaper M-Dotted water bottles, and I've just bought an M-Dotted IMAZ shirt from eBay, and as a finisher all these shirts will now mean a little something different. Years from now, whether after gaining weight and drinking heavily my shirts haunt me, or if after completing a Double-Iron race I consider my M-Dot and Ironman-logo-ed stuff cute, they will have again driven home that whatever you own and wear means what it means TO YOU, and even for you is subject to change.
Wear your stuff, before and after, for your reasons, use it as motivation and recollection, and enjoy it.

-edited to include the Hat.

Edited by erodda 2008-12-03 8:27 AM
2008-12-03 9:02 AM

Coach
Boston, MA

I've wear M-Dot stuff many times and I’ve never done an IM. Some have been presents from my athletes and some have been presents from my parents who don’t know the difference between a 70.3 and IM beyond the distance. I don’t really care what others think if I should be wearing M-Dot stuff before completing an IM or not. Really for me are just items I wear when I am training or hanging out. If the IM gods (whoever they are) want to make my day miserable during my 1st IM because I wore merchandise with their logo, well what can I say, it seems they have too much time in their hands to be concern about me and what I do. But in the end I don’t believe in Gods either so I am not too concern about it

2008-12-03 9:25 AM

Expert
Shelby Twp
I personally didnt purchase anything before the race, but that was my own superstitions. I dont have much problem with what others do about it as we all dont have the same opinion. I knew I wanted to do a Ironman one day though, and I personally didnt want to buy anything until I felt I had earned it. If my family and husband wanted to buy any IM logo things at the race with me, no big deal... they loved the experience of watching me and being great spectators at the race and wanted something to take home, no biggie
2008-12-03 9:31 AM

Elite
San Diego

I admit that I had the same opinion as many of you, that no IM stuff should be bought or worn before completing an IM. Max and I even had a discussion about his tattoo many years ago.

Now, after doing a race or two, I realize the only people who care about this stuff are people that make Ironman out to be more than it really is. I know this will make a few of you pass out, but it is JUST A RACE. A very hard race that most people wouldn't dare attempt, but it doesn't change the fact that it is what it is. There are no IM Gods, you are either ready or you are not on race day. No item of clothing is going to change that.

Jorge, you said "when you do an IM" Does this mean you are going long?

2008-12-03 9:36 AM

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL
If it doesn't say finisher on it, go nuts!  I think it generates intrest in the sport and provides for good conversations about triathlon.  I won an IM headsweat hat at a race before I did my first IM and I wore it all the time.  I think people need to relax and understand clothes are clothes. 

2008-12-03 9:43 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

IM Moo '07 I purchased an Ironman Wisconsin leg reflector strap and a cap and wore those DURING the race.

Let's take a different perspective on this.  How many of us wore Nike, Adidas, etc. clothing but haven't been sponsored by them?

In that regard, what's the difference?

However, the "official" IM Finisher gear is what you get at the end of the race anyways and is the distinction of who actually did the race or not, for those who do care.  I'm proud to wear my "official" Finisher gear, but I'll wear the other unofficial gear, too.  But in reality, 98% of the persons I hang around with don't give a rat's azz one way or another, or don't even know much about IM, the logo, or anything else about it.

2008-12-03 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1836329

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
JorgeM - 2008-12-03 9:02 AM

I've wear M-Dot stuff many times and I’ve never done an IM. Some have been presents from my athletes and some have been presents from my parents who don’t know the difference between a 70.3 and IM beyond the distance. I don’t really care what others think if I should be wearing M-Dot stuff before completing an IM or not. Really for me are just items I wear when I am training or hanging out. If the IM gods (whoever they are) want to make my day miserable during my 1st IM because I wore merchandise with their logo, well what can I say, it seems they have too much time in their hands to be concern about me and what I do. But in the end I don’t believe in Gods either so I am not too concern about it

Sheesh, Jorge.  You need to turn those in.  You are so undeserving to have those.

2008-12-03 12:57 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
Nope. Not going to tempt the Gods.

Gotta finish first.

2008-12-03 1:03 PM
in reply to: #1835179

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Boston Beginner - 2008-12-02 5:30 PM

What about an Ironman Timex watch?  I have one of those.  Am I doomed?

Yeah, my watch, wetsuit, and socks are all IM-brand. To me, it's just another brand like Nike or Brooks.

Are ya'll talking about a specific M-Dot race merchandise (such as IMAZ, IMWI, etc.) or just the brand in general? To me there's a pretty big difference, and it would be pretty petty to call someone out for buying, say, an Ironman Timex watch for training.

ETA: I did buy an Ironman 70.3 visor before I'd completed my first 70.3. I actually wore it during the run. I guess I don't personally believe that there is some higher IM-God-like-powerful-being dictating my performance based on whether or not I purchase a visor before a race or after.

Edited by lisac957 2008-12-03 1:08 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wear MDOT logo clothes before completing first IM? Rss Feed  

of 3