General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wear MDOT logo clothes before completing first IM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-12-21 6:58 PM
in reply to: #1841877

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Wear MDOT logo clothes before completing first IM?
Cyclingmaniac - 2008-12-06 1:03 PM
Tempting the "IM Gods"? Who knows!

This whole "tempting the IM gods" is completely psychological. If you think the race is sacred and that if you wear something before your race it won't go well, then don't wear it. If you anticipate something bad will go wrong, then it sure will. If you go into the race prepared (regardless of anything branded that you've worn) then you will be able to handle anything that comes your way.

It is a mind game...choose your own side and who cares what anyone else thinks about the way you play.

2008-12-22 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1835179

User image

Extreme Veteran
I didn't want to jinx myself at IMFL and buying a piece of IM logo'd gear was going to be my reward for finishing. So I bought a headsweats beanie and a finisher's sweatshirt. I did see a girl walking around with a Kona IM backpack... I'd flaunt that if I had done Kona.
2008-12-25 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1835140

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Honestly this doesn't make a difference to 99.9% of the world.  They think all triathlons ar Kona.  I know someone who wanted to cover up the m-dot on his timex ironman watch beause he hadn't done an IM yet.  I would submit that probably 99.9% of the timex ironman watches sold are not even worn by triathletes and probably 99% of them are not even worn by athletes.....just your everyday people out there.  They sell Ironman socks and wetsuits....I'm betting a lot of people who wear ironman brand wetsuits aren't ironmen.   Are you not allowed to use you ironman triathlon bike?

Wearing the finisher stuff after not doing the race is another thing.  I have some Kona stuff given to me as gifts from people who have gone to Hawaii on vaca and know I do tris...I just say thank you because they don't know.  I have never worn the hat.  I've worn the bike shirt a few times but rarely.  To each his own.  If it motivates you to get out the door more power to you.

2009-01-11 7:51 PM
in reply to: #1836402

User image

Regular
Highlands Ranch, Colorado, USA

nccgrap - 2008-12-03 8:36 AM If it doesn't say finisher on it, go nuts!  I think it generates intrest in the sport and provides for good conversations about triathlon.  I won an IM headsweat hat at a race before I did my first IM and I wore it all the time.  I think people need to relax and understand clothes are clothes. 

I completely agree about the difference between wearing IM related gear and then wearing "Finisher" gear before you actually finish an Ironman race. There is a huge difference IMHO; and here are my thoughts on this subject:

When I signed up for my first two-ever IM races in 2008, I purchased a couple of hats with the IM Logo for that race to wear during training to help motivate myself and to reinforce my athletic goals and purpose to train as best I can for that event. Of course, I wouldn't even consider the finisher merchandise -- as I know I would have to earn the priviledge of showing I'm a finisher by finishing the race first -- to show that I'm an "Official Ironman."

Wearing or even just buying "Finisher" gear before you finish is a big no-no, but c'mon, wearing M-Dot gear (casual and training gear) -- especially if it helps one feel better about oneself during your specific IM race training and if it helps you focus better on the big task ahead -- should be very welcome. I didn't finish either of my races in IM AZ in April (finished just 8 miles short of the finish line) and IM Louisville (pulled off the bike at Mile 80 due to effects of the hills and high heat) but it was solely, and I mean solely, due to not being fit enough and/or executing my race day agenda to finish the races -- not some bad mojo from sporting the M-Dot logo (and, in-turn, lifestyle) before those particular events.

And trust me, I do believe in all my heart, if I were to wear anything with "Finisher" and "Ironman" on the same piece of clothing, I would probably be doomed to DNFs in my IM events in the near future and beyond! Heck, I feel even bad coming accross and seeing finisher gear online because I don't want to jinx myself before I actual become an Ironman! So I do take this argument seriously.

Also, wearing and supporting the M-Dot lifestlye is just that -- a lifestyle choice -- for many who take up the quest of becoming an Ironman and/or Multiple Ironman Finisher. Although I didn't finish those races I mentioned above, I did buy some t-shirts showing the race name and info on them but nothing with a possible "Finisher" label on it at the Expo (or even online) before the event. I have to earn a finish to have the privilege to wear something like that. But I busted my butt in training and during those races, and gave it my best effort possible, and feel a sense of extreme pride and accomplishment to show that I actually did something and took the chance in life to try to complete such a lofty goal as becoming an Ironman.

By doing this, in this day and age of an overwhelming amount of obese and overweight Americans, you also promote the healthy lifestyle for others and make triathlon and Ironman more accessible for many others. You also might, in the end, inspire others to join this wonderful lifestyle choice we all cherish and enjoy. I know thru first hand experience that this motivational ideal is very true. During my training for my two IM races last year I cannot even start to count the total number of people who came up to me saying they were inspired by me, and my desire to compete in IM races, when they saw my specific IM-Logoed Race cap I was wearing during that training session that day. They mentioned that it helps them work harder in their workouts, helps attain their personal fitness goals, makes them want to be healthier, and makes them want to lead a healthier lifestyle.

Also, if you take the "non-M-Dot wearing ideal until you actually become an Ironman" viewpoint, then you also lose out on some great training gear to help you actually become an Ironman. You can't have it both ways with anything with a M-Dot logo on it -- even in your training gear. Some examples are the Spenco cycling gloves, the Ironman labled socks I use, wetsuits, IM-branded Timex watches and HRMs, etc., etc. etc. At IM Louisville I inadvertently bought a grey t-shirt with the word "Ironman" on it but also without a "Finisher" mark on it at the expo. I first noticed this when I got back home. Seeing that it only says "Ironman," I still felt bad about wearing that t-shirt until I actually become an Official Ironman and placed it in the back of my closet until I officially become an Ironman. When I become an Ironman I will bring it "out of hiding" and wear it with so much pride.

So, there you go. In my humble and honest opinion, I think the only "no-no" in this whole argument is that it's very bad luck -- and extremely bad form -- to promote yourself as a "Finisher" before you become one; but by all means its allright to show that you're active in the "Ironman Lifestyle" and made a serious and noteworthy choice in life to be active and healthy. 

People like the Julie Moss's and Team Hoyt's of this world -- as well as every single person who has laid his/her effort on the line to become an "Official Ironman" -- truly demand the complete respect of all of us want-to-be Ironmen and Ironwomen to not show that you're a finisher before you actually become one as it cheapens their amazing efforts and sacrifices. Other than that, I think it's fantastic to promote the Ironman lifestyle thru various clothing choices.  

Edited by jeffreyk 2009-01-11 8:01 PM
2009-01-21 5:17 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

I think if you haven't finished an IM, then wearing "Finisher's" gear is lame.  Non-"Finisher's" -Ironman-stuff, I could care less who wears it.

I wouldn't wear any Ironman stuff ("Finisher" or not) prior to my finishing an IM.  I thought to myself that wearing it would be my reward afterwards. 

Oddly enough, after finishing IMKY I could've cared less about wearing Ironman stuff anymore--finishing in and of itself was the reward.  I still have a bunch of Ironman stuff I bought at the expo with the tags still on it in my closet.

2009-01-22 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

My parents live in Kona so I've received a few IM World Championship t-shirts (close outs I'm sure, maybe even fakes!) over the years.

I stopped wearing them after a surprising number of strangers would start up conversations, impressed with the triathlon accomplishent my t-shirt represented.  I might have done a sprint or two at the time, and still haven't done a full IM....

My wife, on the other hand, loves wearing my race shirts.  Now, if a race will be giving out t-shirts, I just order her size.  For some reason she loves wearing race shirts, but is very much a couch potato!

Brian 

2009-01-22 8:13 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
At IMWI my husband and son both bought  Ironman shirts (not finishers shirts).  My son likes to wear it to  high school and when people ask him about it he gets a kick out of telling people his MOM did an Ironman.
2009-03-24 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
I have an IM duffel bag my wife gave me 2 years ago that I use, but I think of it as motivation. The same day she gave me the duffel, she also gave me a long sleeve shirt that says Iroman on the front. It still is on a hanger with the tags on it. I cannot/will not wear it until I have completed an IM. It will be travelling with me to Louisville this year and god willing, will be a part of my wardrobe thereafter. I may be the only guy wearing a long sleeve sweatshirt in 90 plus degree weather. :-)
2009-03-24 3:50 PM
in reply to: #1923829

User image

Pro
Burbs

suzimmer - 2009-01-22 9:13 PM At IMWI my husband and son both bought  Ironman shirts (not finishers shirts).  My son likes to wear it to  high school and when people ask him about it he gets a kick out of telling people his MOM did an Ironman.

that's adorable

2009-03-24 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

Call me old fashioned or superstitious, but I wouldn't even but any gear let alone wear it before I crossed that line.  At my next one, I will buy some gear before the face, but won't wear it until after the race.

Each to their own though...

2009-03-24 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I dont mess with any Gods IM or otherwise. I wont let my friends say "last run" when we ski or board because then it will be your last because you anger the snow Gods. You must decide at the the bottom you are done and you must only wear a finisher shirt to a race you have finished and it is only for the year you raced. Just because you did IMAZ once does not mean you get a new shirt every year if you can find it. As far as other gear i have an Mdot watch and visor i wear all the time. It is like others have said it is brand now.

2009-03-25 1:59 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
My two cents...

Generic "Ironman" branded merch on sale in retail stores is one thing. I have three pairs of Foster Grant IM sunglasses (different styles) and wear them all the time. Same deal with Timex IM watches. Whether J.Q. Public assumes "Ironman" = "Kona" is sort of beside the point. Same thing with "Olympics" gear...like NFL stuff. Some products are obviously tourist/fan directed and marketed. Not the same thing as premiums reserved for finishers.

(As an aside: I'm surprised the "in training" apparel question even came up. Clearly that stuff is meant mostly to be "inspirational." Oh...okay...and for bragging purposes for some.)

I won't wear race gear for a race I didn't do (or at least volunteer at). Apart from "jinx" considerations (why tempt fate? the universe is a big, mysterious, place), I think there's something just a wee bit...I dunno...disrespectful?...in wearing finisher's gear when you didn't do the race. Most of the time, it isn't an issue, cuz you don't get the shirt until packet pickup. But the proliferation of online selling has changed that a bit. Everyone's comfort level is different with this stuff...mine stops short of wearing race-specific items when I haven't done the race. (And that means I won't even wear the local 5K shirt I picked up the day before until after the race.)
2009-03-25 3:16 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I see people all the time with Alabama shirts, hats, bumper stickers and the like that have never been on a college campus in their life!

~Mike

2009-03-25 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2039868

User image

Rogillio - 2009-03-25 1:16 PM

I see people all the time with Alabama shirts, hats, bumper stickers and the like that have never been on a college campus in their life!

~Mike

Maybe they went to a concert

2009-03-25 5:53 PM
in reply to: #2039618

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Wholeheartedly agree.  I have even given away a biathlon shirt i didn't go to after packet pick up.

CP2K

2009-03-29 12:29 PM

User image

I would never wear any shirts from a race I didn't finish in. Also, I have a coworker, who constantly requests that I get him an event shirt from any race I do. Every time I come back to work I tell him, "They ran out," or "They only made enough for those WHO SIGNED UP." My feeling is: if you want to wear the shirt, then you need to finish the race.

2009-03-30 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2047022

User image

Champion
Alabama

moose2585 - 2009-03-29 12:29 PM I would never wear any shirts from a race I didn't finish in. Also, I have a coworker, who constantly requests that I get him an event shirt from any race I do. Every time I come back to work I tell him, "They ran out," or "They only made enough for those WHO SIGNED UP." My feeling is: if you want to wear the shirt, then you need to finish the race.

I had this same hang-up with my GCT HIM '06 race tee-shirt.  I got sea-sick on the swim and DNF'd.  For a long time I would not wear the race shirt as it was a source of shame for me.  After I finished my next tri the 'shame' of DNF faded and I decided that I had trained for the race, I was at the race, I started the race and that gave me rights to wear the stupid shirt.  I mostly wore it around the house, while working in the garden, painting the house, etc.  :-)  No one ever comments on any race tee-shirt except my IM shirt where I'll occasionsly get a "Wow, did you do that race?".  I think it'd be pretty ballsy to wear an IM finisher shirt if you had not actually finished the race but wearing M-dot stuff does not indicate you did anything....it's simply a corporate logo.

~Mike

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wear MDOT logo clothes before completing first IM? Rss Feed  

of 3