General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crossfit anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-03 10:07 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: Crossfit anyone?
Just wondering if anyone here does crossfit.  It's become my new addiction after my brother's girlfriend opened a gym.  I love the improvements I'm seeing and I love the way I feel afterwards.  I'm curious to hear from ppl here who have done crossfit if it helps with endurance and tri stuff.  I've been doing it for about a month now and it still feels really strange for me to be done w/a workout in just a half hour or so.  A lot of times I'll be exhausted, but still feel like i'm just warming up and should go for a run or something.  The girl that owns the gym is an iron man so I feel like she should know her stuff, but she's not nearly as interested in long distance stuff anymore.  Sooooo any experiences with this?  I figure it can't hurt, but I'm wondering how much it actually helps.  

2008-12-03 10:13 PM
in reply to: #1837815

User image

Veteran
Rockwall, Texas
Subject: RE: Crossfit anyone?
i don't do crossfit but i have a friend that does. he says its awesome. he also said that he tried to get a couple of his buddies to do it with him, they did, and they won't work out with him anymore cause it's hardcore. anywho. there is a crossfit thread on here in the strength trianing section if you hven't seen it. they have a workout of the day, give advice and talk about how much the love it. go check it out
2008-12-04 12:20 AM

New user

I'm relatively new to triathlon training, but I dove in with both feet over the last five months and developed pretty good overall fitness. That being said, I recently did an interval run workout with a friend who is a hardcore crossfit (CF), and he schooled me. I workout longer than he, but he's faster with better recovery times. Granted, I don't think he has the fitness to compete in an Olympic tri, but he told me about www.crossfitendurance.com . This is an addition to CF and you essentially complete the CF workout of the day IN ADDITION TO intense cardio training in one of the big three (swim, bike or run). Crossfit endurance (CFE) has blogs by many various ironman competitors and they claim they follow the regime exclusively and their times continue to decrease. I am considering changing completely to CFE (which still does crossfit, but tacks on extra cardio), however I'm still skeptical.

Anyone else have any experience with CFE or CF in general?

2008-12-04 4:07 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
check out the strength training forum. there is a wealth of crossfit info there
2008-12-04 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1838044

User image

New Haven, CT
There is a big Xfit scene on the sttrength training forum... I have been loosely following the WOD for a few weeks and like it for its weirdness.  I've done a lot of weightlifting over the years and was unable to really get back into it.  Xfit has helped both with structure and variety.  ALso the WOD generally takes less than 30 mins to compelte so you a nice workout quickly. 
2008-12-04 7:36 PM

User image

Master
I'm not sure I get the photos they put on that Crossfit Endurance Web page, however.

2008-12-05 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Similar to the CrossFit Mainsite, CrossFit Endurance rest day posting/pics are meant to be conversation starters for the community to post upon and discuss.

Def. check out the CrossFit link on the Strength Training forum; welcome!
2008-12-05 1:49 PM
in reply to: #1840228

User image

New Haven, CT
The crossfit scene makes *us* look rational and low key.
2008-12-05 3:19 PM

New user

Crossfit is great!  If you only have a short amount of time the crossfit workout is the way to go!  Don't bag doing the long stuff though...it will come back to haunt you in the race.

-Coach Ty

2008-12-05 7:33 PM
in reply to: #1840784

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
CoachTy - 2008-12-05 4:19 PM

Crossfit is great!  If you only have a short amount of time the crossfit workout is the way to go!  Don't bag doing the long stuff though...it will come back to haunt you in the race.

-Coach Ty

x2 But I would add that I've found over the last year the real heavy stuff they do is worthless for us.  Stick with the "named" workouts that concetrate on high rep body weight work.  It really helps your anaerobic fitness and I've found I burn fat more and maintain/build muscle better.  Those workouts only take 20 min generally and are absolute killers (in a great way).  Google "metcon" and "crossfit" together and you'll get some fantastic workouts.  But, again, stay away from the deadlifts and whatnot if your most important goal is to be a fast racer.  If your goal is to build max muscle do everything the crossfit site says.  They really know their stuff.

2008-12-05 9:38 PM

User image

Puyallup, Washington
My local Y has a crosfit knockoff call "Challenge of the Day", what I have discovered is that I have been able to reshape my body much more then I ever have before. Plus results are posted on a white board....so the pressure is somewhat on....lol. The best part is there is great commarderie with this group at the Y.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crossfit anyone? Rss Feed