Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Taking a cat to the vet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-04 1:26 PM

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
Subject: Taking a cat to the vet
My cat is going to be fourteen in January. She's a sweetheart at home, but something magical happens once i put her into a cat carrier. She becomes a miniature mountain lion, fully willing and capable of causing massive damage to all who would try to touch her.

This, as you might imagine, makes going to the vet a wee bit more exciting than one would deem necessary. They actually had to break the exam into two parts so that 'su could calm down a bit and stop panting. The noises she was making as they were trying to examine her, take x-rays (they only got one of the two they wanted), and draw blood were terrible. She was more than willing to provide a urine sample, though, so i guess i've got to give her credit for that.

Going to the vet is SO stressful for her that i'm terrible and only take her when she's obviously needing treatment. This probably doesn't help matters, of course, but what can i do to help make it easier for her? They're talking about sedatives, and that makes me nervous (ha, can they give me something, too?). Is there anything behavior-wise i can work on? She is older, and she's always been like this...

2008-12-04 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1838770

User image

Mountain View, CA
Subject: RE: Taking a cat to the vet
Shop around. I've heard of vets around here who do house calls, and you might be able to find someone in your area who does them.

Short of that, do you leave the cat carrier out when you're not taking her anywhere? Ours sits out frequently so that our cats can sit in it, be around it, etc. so that they don't associate it only with trips to the vet. They actually love to nap in it. Getting her used to the carrier wouldn't help once it's time for the exam, but it might help put her more at ease on the way there.

Another idea: this might sound counterintuitive, but taking her to the vet more often when she doesn't need all that scary stuff might make things easier. If she knows that going to the vet doesn't necessarily mean x-rays and blood draws and so on, she might be less of a terror once she's there. Ask your vet if you can swing by every now and then, take her into an exam room, close the door(s), and let her walk around and sniff things without anything scary going on.

And finally: treats. If she's really freaked, she might not touch them, but having a bit of her favorite food on hand might help.
2008-12-04 2:12 PM

User image

OK, this may sound weird, but stay with me.... Chamomille flower essence.  Can get it at whole foods I think.  We had an orange tabby that was a monster sometimes.   Chamomille rubbed in the nape of the neck always worked.

Worth a shot

2008-12-04 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
My cat was EXACTLY like this every single time I've taken her to the vet in her 11 years ... once they even had to get out the eagle gloves, and it took 4 of them to hold her down ... I usually left the visits in tears, shocked and horrified at how my sweet little tabby can turn into such a violent beast ...
However - this last time - completely different story!

I'm constantly amazed by the wisdom of my new vet ..

Every time in the past they have taken her out of the carrier right away, done the rudimentary exam/needle poke, and put her back in right away ... nightmare experience every time.

This last time, with this new vet (my usual guy was on holidays) he left her in her carrier in the exam room for about 20 minutes, while he looked at the dog. He completely ignored her. I said "Uh .. she usually gets done first because she's a devil-cat" ...
He said "Nope - I always find in these experiences that if you just leave them sit there in their own anger for awhile, they'll get over themselves and the exam won't be a problem."
I was doubtful, but once the dog was finished with and it was time for the cat - he just reached into the carrier, pulled her out, and did his exam! She growled a bit, but there was no fight, no scratching, no spewing of bodily fluids - I was amazed!

Maybe ask them to give you some time in the exam room before the actual exam. It really worked for us!
2008-12-04 5:19 PM
in reply to: #1838980

User image

Mountain View, CA
SpiritFire - 2008-12-04 1:13 PM

My cat was EXACTLY like this every single time I've taken her to the vet in her 11 years ... once they even had to get out the eagle gloves, and it took 4 of them to hold her down ... I usually left the visits in tears, shocked and horrified at how my sweet little tabby can turn into such a violent beast ...
However - this last time - completely different story!

I'm constantly amazed by the wisdom of my new vet ..

Every time in the past they have taken her out of the carrier right away, done the rudimentary exam/needle poke, and put her back in right away ... nightmare experience every time.

This last time, with this new vet (my usual guy was on holidays) he left her in her carrier in the exam room for about 20 minutes, while he looked at the dog. He completely ignored her. I said "Uh .. she usually gets done first because she's a devil-cat" ...
He said "Nope - I always find in these experiences that if you just leave them sit there in their own anger for awhile, they'll get over themselves and the exam won't be a problem."
I was doubtful, but once the dog was finished with and it was time for the cat - he just reached into the carrier, pulled her out, and did his exam! She growled a bit, but there was no fight, no scratching, no spewing of bodily fluids - I was amazed!

Maybe ask them to give you some time in the exam room before the actual exam. It really worked for us!

Similar experience here. Maybe it's by design, or maybe it's just that our vet office is busy, but we always have at least a few minutes between going into the exam room and the beginning of any actual exam activity. So, whoever's in for the visit gets some time to explore the office, rub all over everything so that it smells familiar, and sit in mom or dad's lap if desired. It works out pretty well.
2008-12-04 5:52 PM
in reply to: #1839251

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
There's a lot of good advice here...

Does anyone have experience with house calls? i'm afraid that if i have someone come into the house and give her an exam, home will no longer be a safe place for her. i'm pretty sure that's not a good idea.

The cat carrier is usually kept by her litter box, so she sees it multiple times a day. When it's there, i leave the door open, but she'd rather sit on me than in her carrier.

Unfortunately, i don't see just letting her explore the room working so well. She won't come out of her carrier at all; we've always had to disassemble the carrier so the vet can get access. Today we talked for probably ten minutes before there was any move to get her, and she basically sat in the far back corner of her carrier, occasionally pathetically meowing or growling.

She will take treats at the vet, but she pretty much only stops growling to eat the treat. Then she's right back at it.

i was on a kick for a while of putting her in the carrier and just driving around and then going home to see if she'd chill about going for a ride, but that never seemed to happen... i suppose we could go to the vet just for weight checks...

ChrisM, don't worry about how weird that sounds. At this point, i'll try just about anything!

2008-12-04 6:09 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

I know this routine well.  Our house cat, Falstaff, turns into a raving lunatic at the vet's.  Last time he had to be put into the "squeeze cage".  That's a device that they use on wild angry animals.  It squeezes them so they can be treated safely.  That time was an emergency so he had to go un-medicated.  Otherwise, if he has to go, he gets a little happy pill.  It's just a tiny dose of ace and it works wonders.  He still gets pissed and makes noise; he just can't do anything about it.  Ask your vet if a little ace would be appropriate for your kitty. 

Edited to add--- If your small animal vet won't do house calls, try a large animal practice.  Sounds odd, but they might be willing to work with you.  My horse vet does the shots for my barn cats when he comes around for the horses.  He was willing to do the house cat also, but I decided to do him myself.  Yes, I have been taught by a vet to give a feline shot; no worries. 

Edited by rowdypaint 2008-12-04 6:13 PM
2008-12-04 6:41 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I've had "devil-cat" experiences in the past. My vet, at the time, was a very laid-back guy. He had a very soothing voice that seemed to somehow calm the evil beast that came out in some of my cats. We also, generally had to wait about 10 minutes or so before the vet came in for the exam...so it did give our cat time to roam the room for a bit. But she usually ended up crouched down into a corner. So the vet would grab a towel and toss it over her head and scoop her up. Apparently, draping a towel over them helps because they can't see what's going on.

My current 2 kitties are both orange tabbies. The male has already been to the vet once, and handled the visit just fine...a little bit of crying and anxiety in the car, but in the exam room he was purrfect.

But the female...she's a totally different story. I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but she has NEVER been to the vet since the day we brought her home from the shelter. Let's just say...she is "difficult". Absolutely does NOT like to be picked up or held in any way, shape or form. This presents quite a problem if the need should arise that we need to bring her to the vet. Knock on wood...she's been healthy (that we know of) since we brought her home...but I am absolutely dreading the day that she needs to go in for some reason...cuz it certainly won't be a picnic dealing with her. Just clipping her nails takes two of us...my hubby puts her in a "death grip" while I do the clipping. And if that's not enough...he has to do a "sneak attack" on her, in order to pick her up...otherwise she will sense that something is up and she'll conveniently disappear on us. Yup...she's a handful...but we love her anyways.
2008-12-04 6:56 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Thx for all the good kitty restraint stories. We just put our 16+ yo cat down last week. One of my favorite memories is seeing the person at the sitter picking up Abby with the gauntlets. Thx for the laughs!
2008-12-04 7:12 PM
in reply to: #1839286

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO

TheSchwamm - 2008-12-04 4:52 PM Does anyone have experience with house calls? 

We have 3 dogs and a cat and decided it was easier and cheaper to find a vet that makes house calls.  From the very beginning all the animals wanted to be right next to her the entire visit and would let her do anything she wanted to them.  The cat wouldn't get out of her lap!  Definitely recommend it.

2008-12-04 8:11 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
poor kitty  Dr. Leah is a vet here on BT

2008-12-04 11:15 PM
in reply to: #1839286

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

TheSchwamm - 2008-12-05 8:52 AM

Does anyone have experience with house calls? i'm afraid that if i have someone come into the house and give her an exam, home will no longer be a safe place for her. i'm pretty sure that's not a good idea. 

I think its an excellent idea. Most cats are territorial, and many will only be relaxed in their own territory. Being taken out of that territory, whether its moving house or going to the vet, is extremely stressful. I don't think its the exam & shots that scare her, its the journey away from anything familiar. Therefore if you try doing it in a home setting, although she still may not be 100% amenable, she should be a lot calmer and easier to handle. The experience is unlikely to make her averse to her home environment. What is she like when strangers come to your house?

2008-12-05 8:56 AM
in reply to: #1839298

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
rowdypaint - 2008-12-04 4:09 PM

Our house cat, Falstaff,

I love that name...is he a big fat kitty?  As the name would imply?

Edited by runningwoof 2008-12-05 8:57 AM
2008-12-05 9:46 AM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
My childhood cat was the same way. He was a sweet heart but try to put him in a carrier and he went nuts. He broke out of one carrier and clawed my mom really well, she pulled over and he jumped out of the car. It was only a mile from home and he showed up a few days later. Mom asked my Dad to take him in the back of his work van which is sealed off from the drivers compartment. My dad didn't believe how bad he was and put the carrier on the front passenger seat. The cat broke out at about the same time, sprayed the inside of the truck by the time my dad pulled over and jumped out. The cat made the same mile trek home again. They eventually found a vet who makes house calls.
2008-12-05 9:54 AM
in reply to: #1839722

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
eurydice79 - 2008-12-04 11:15 PM

What is she like when strangers come to your house?

She is very touchy at home. i can get away with pretty much anything, but when i've had people stop by to feed her while i'm out of town, apparently she's ornery and smacks at them and growls. Even when i'm home, she's not very patient with strangers. i SWEAR she's nice!!
2008-12-05 12:47 PM
in reply to: #1839321

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-12-05 5:41 PM

Master
Riverside, IL
x2 on Feliway!!! I used it extensively for the first few months, when introducing "she-devil" into our home. It definitely helped. It is expensive, though. I still have the plug-in unit, but haven't had to use it except for those first 2 months or so after we brought her home from the shelter.
2008-12-05 6:00 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Maybe you can find a Ugandan woman with some chloroform on her chest that loves to snuggle cats.
2008-12-06 6:34 AM
in reply to: #1840098

Pro
Without house
TheSchwamm - 2008-12-05 9:54 AM
eurydice79 - 2008-12-04 11:15 PM

What is she like when strangers come to your house?

She is very touchy at home. i can get away with pretty much anything, but when i've had people stop by to feed her while i'm out of town, apparently she's ornery and smacks at them and growls. Even when i'm home, she's not very patient with strangers. i SWEAR she's nice!!

Well, then...I'm guess I'm lucky she liked me...

2008-12-07 6:56 AM

Expert
Sorry about your plight! I can't help much, since one of my cats goes to the vet in a harness & leash and LOVES the attention he gets. The other just meows non-stop from the moment we leave the house until we get back home.

Maybe try a harness on your cat. It makes it easier to grab and hold them while the vet does his thing, since cats tend to be little escape artists.
2008-12-07 1:03 PM
in reply to: #1842380

Champion
South Jersey
Emily did much better on the car ride to the vet if I had her in a box (no lid) as opposed to a carrier. She also would do better walking in and out if I held her, as opposed to using a carrier or having her in the box. She would be OK if I were in the exam room with her, but as soon as I was out of her sights, like if she had to go in the back for bloodwork or needed to be left for surgery --- WATCH OUT.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Taking a cat to the vet Rss Feed