General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you support your "tri lifestyle"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-05-13 11:26 AM
in reply to: #1839588

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: How do you support your "tri lifestyle"?
My husband and I make less than 1/3 of that $150K figure, combining both our incomes together!  lol... I'm a grad student and he works in state gov't.  But we don't have kids yet, our house is in a slightly sketch part of town so the rent is cheap, and we spend all our time bike riding or at the gym anyway, so we don't need to have TV or internet at home  Except for our bike stuff and our always-getting-sick-or-injured dog, we live pretty cheap.

I have a little more than $200/month in purely disposable income, which I know isn't much, but it feels like a lot to me because it's way more than I ever had before.  I don't go out for lunch or coffee at work, and I don't waste money on stuff like bottled water, so my dollars stretch pretty far.  I am a highly-skilled shopping ninja, capable of getting stuff for much less than its list price.  I'm not happy about buying stuff unless I'm haggling over a case of mangoes with some poor vendor at the fruit stand, or asking for and getting a "student discount" or "UPMC discount" that is offered but not listed by lots of local stores, and this trait is useful in shopping for gear (as well as in getting discounts from my chiropractor, the LBS, and the local Y).  I get a lot of stuff on sale (LBS's winter sale, REI garage sales, and the internet) and I'm not shy about trying to drive a better bargain even if something's already discounted.  This year I spent a lot of money on a road bike, but I'd been saving for two years to afford it and I got a good bargain.  I never put stuff like that on a credit card, and I love the feeling of being able to put down cash and ride away, guilt-free, on a shiny bike I know how to eat well and dress appropriately for very cheap, and training means I don't want to go out often (and when I do it's usually just for beer and hot dogs).  So I have enough money to sign up for a couple races, maintain my bike, and gradually accumulate/upgrade gear.

2009-05-13 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1839793

Veteran
PhatNLazy - 2008-12-05 2:51 AM

TeamWin75 - 2008-12-05 1:42 AM

I am a Project Manager making a little over $100k pr year.  My husband is an Engineer and I make a little more than him unless he has a VERY heavy overtime year.  

We have no kids so that leaves extra money for expensive hobbies like triathlon, motorcycles, scuba diving, hot air ballooning and wave runners.  We're very spoiled.  

If you are looking to adopt a son can I recommend a 38 year old who could use a home like yours?

If 38 is to old for you I know a 27 yr old that needs a good home!
2009-05-13 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Oakland, Fl

I make a bit more then a 3rd of what the average.  I try to keep my bills low and not buy things on credit.  I am looking at purchasing a new bike but am going to take the opportunity to use the LBS' 0% financing for a year.  In a year, I have a CD coming due, which I will use to pay for the balance of the bike that I haven't already paid.  Otherwise, I try to make sure everything is cash.

It's hard being single with a mortgage, etc.  I keep 2 jobs to make ends meet.  I can only imagine throwing kids into the mix.

2009-05-13 1:56 PM

Cincinnati
Chiropractor
2009-05-13 2:02 PM

User image

New user
I work for a small electronics manufacturing company.  I have a background in electronics and business management.  My position is Sales and Marketing Manager, but in reality, because we are a small company I end up doing a lot.  With that said, the owner has been pretty good to me over the years.  Of couse this year with the economy doing so poorly I'm going to make about $25K less than last year.  Which on a single income trying to make my child support payments AND keep gas in my yacht is going to be a challenge!

All joking aside, I've worked my @$$ off for everything I have - I put myself and my ex through school and we both came out not owing a dime.  I have worked 4 jobs at one time to afford the lifestyle I live.  I've done well, but I've put in the effort!
2009-05-13 2:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
First off, family income (both me and my wife work) is well below that 150-180k range.  I am new to Tri's, and will be riding an 18-yr old Raleigh road bike.  As others have said - it's the 'engine' that counts.
Last year I got into running.  So, most of my Christmas presents had that theme.  Heck, I helped it along by going to Dicks Sporting Goods one night with my wife and trying on lots of stuff I would like/need for this year - UnderArmour pants and shirt, couple running shirts, couple running shorts, warmup jacket and pants, and Nike watch with split timers.  So, yep I knew most of my presents, but it was what I wanted.
Have a family Y membership for $60/month - so reasonable bargain when you think family of four using the facilities.  And, very healthy for us all.
For purchase of 'extravagances' - my wife and I each got mountain bikes last year - we use a fun savings account.  Spare change makes it to the Savings, as do all those little rebate checks, and bottle/can return money, and misc. found money (like getting reimbursed for something unexpected).  Bikes were each about/under $300 from LBS.
Savings later this summer/fall may go to new Road bike - $600 or $700.
For vacations, we drive most as we have our own small camper.  This keeps vacation costs down even with fuel - two weeks might be $600 in fuel traveling far and wide but only $500 for the 14 nights during the summer.  And, with a camper we have our own food, so little in other costs.  By the way - it is the camping that forced us into new mountain bikes as riding out old road bikes around sandy campgrounds is difficult.

Choices in life can be expensive.  At the end of the day, Tri will be however expensive you want it to be.  I hope to have fun this weekend at my first Tri.  Would I have a better time (physical as in minutes/seconds as opposed to emotional) on a new bike - sure.  But, that extra MPH is not going to get me prize money, so it can wait a little longer.

Finally, my running this year is faster than last year.  Is it because of the new clothes?  Perhaps a little.  But, the big diference is that I am in much better shape this year than last year.

2009-05-13 2:43 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Since this thread is still alive, I'll add another entry.

I sent my teen-aged son to work at our LBS. Can you say "employee discounts"?

Actually he's been there nearly two years and loves it.
2009-05-13 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA

credit cards of course.. luckily I've got a relative who can get employee discount for bikes, but I still can't even afford a road bike to ride during the winter.. I guess this winter I'll be riding MUT with my shocks locked out and on old/bald tires. 

2009-05-13 3:19 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Instead of discussing what I do for a living and how much I make, let me describe my plan to support my tri habit:

My other big hobby is woodworking. I have a complete if modest shop. I am working on rocking chairs that are "Sam Maloof" style. These chairs can sell for as much as $6,500 apiece depending on the wood and skill. I am in the middle of one now. I figure two chair/year would support a REAL nice tri-life!Laughing

Doug

2009-05-13 4:26 PM

Regular
I love the sport but find it very expensive.  Plus I am a gadget feen.  There are so many gadgets in this sport.  But look at the expense just for 1 HIM this week-end.  Not including any gadgets

1)  Airfare    $225
1.5)  Possible bike on plane fee.  $200.  Exec Plat so hoping will be waived
2)  Hotel.  Could have been done cheaper.  $300
3)  Entry fee.  I think it was $250

So just for doing HIM race it is $1000!  That does not include any other supplies.

Wow!  I never added it up.  This is ridiculous.  

2009-05-13 4:31 PM

Regular
Now some of the gadgets/supplies if really into it

Swim

-  Speed skin swim suit
-  Wet suit
-  Ring timer.  I love this thing
-  Timer.  Beeps at set intervals
-  Center snorkel
-  Swim lessons.  Well I need them
-  Fins, paddles, etc
-  Googles 

Cycling

-   Tri bike
-   Race wheels
-  Training wheels
-  Hydration things.  Water bottles, holders, aero water bottles
-  Tires, inner tubes
-  Bike computer.  Garmin GPS extra
-  Power Tap.  Expensive but IMHO very worth it
-  Assorted other stuff

Running

-  GPS watch.  I also highly recommend
-  Shoes.  Really need to change every couple of months.  I don't and it screws my feet up
-  Possible Dr appts and PT if you have bad knees like me

Books

-  Stretching
-  Trigger points 

I really don't know any other sport that can be this expensive. 

2009-05-13 5:28 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
I think it's funny that almost EVERYONE says they make way way less than the average.  someone has to make more than $150K!
2009-05-13 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2149018

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
DougRob - 2009-05-13 4:19 PM

Instead of discussing what I do for a living and how much I make, let me describe my plan to support my tri habit:

My other big hobby is woodworking. I have a complete if modest shop. I am working on rocking chairs that are "Sam Maloof" style. These chairs can sell for as much as $6,500 apiece depending on the wood and skill. I am in the middle of one now. I figure two chair/year would support a REAL nice tri-life!Laughing

Doug

Yeah....but can you do many races on the $65.00 you are going to get for the "Doug Rob" ? 

BTW.....I LOVE Sam Maloof's stuff...especially his rockers...and I am a wood butcher too. 

Steve
2009-05-13 5:59 PM
in reply to: #1839822

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
haven't read the whole thread, but golf pro's rarely pay to play.  they pay for free on their own course and usually know all the neighboring pros so they get on for free almost everywhere.  wow i miss working at a golf course.
2009-05-13 6:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Kauai girl now in MIll Creek/Silver Firs
Attorney who works for myself, two kids in day care, and HUGE student loans.  At the end of the day, I figure my Tri habit keeps me sane and is cheaper than therapy (so far)

I make no way near the 150k/year number.  Gave up the downtown highrise and nightmare commute to get my Life back.  Worth every penny.

Edited by KauaiShan 2009-05-13 6:06 PM
2009-05-13 6:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
i'm a power trading risk anaylst for a big energy corp and the wife is self-employed horse trainer. 

you think bikes are expensive, try owning horses.  her sport, 3day eventing, often called the triathlon of horse sports, requires.....you guessed it......3 of pretty much everything.  saddles at 2-3k a pop and all the other gear, $400+ show entry fees just about every weekend in the spring and fall, feed, stabling, would you believe horses get a new pair of shiny shoes every 6 weeks at about 150 a pop, bla, bla, bla.  then you gotta have a horse trailer with living quaters (which saves on hotels) and a big enough truck to pull that big sucker around....holy crap, i'm getting sick to my stomach just typing this down.  thankfully a good bit of the cost associated with her sport is offset by her income from training and a few sponsorships....otherwise i'd be in the poor house for sure.

so years of supporting my wife lead to years of me doing nothing but working and getting fat.   so i've decided to do something with a 2hr commute makes it hard to train, but the high i get after each training session is worth every minute of sleep i lose, and each lb i've lost is worth it's weight in gold!!!

2009-05-13 6:58 PM

Wes Sacramento
It's not about how much you make, it's about how much you spend in relation to what you make. Certain people make $150k a year and have expenses of $160k a year. Others make $30k a year and have expenses of $20k. Who's better off?

Live within your paycheck and leave a few hundred extra a month for tris.
2009-05-13 8:51 PM
in reply to: #2149398

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Interesting thread.  I also make way below the $150K, my wife does not work other than part time for a chiropractor, we have 2 kids in college and my job requires a lot of travel. I am in sales, so no bonus since first quarter of 2008.  My salary pays the bills, bonuses were for spending.  Our newest car is a 2000 and ironically is my youngest child's car!  I am gone so much that if I tried to do something else for income, I would have ZERO time to train.  I buy good quality stuff, treat it well and it last's a long time.  I am still wearing bike jerseys that are 8+ years old.  I have a road bike that I built over the winter scouring the internet for deals.  Saved about $600 over buying a similar bike at the LBS.

This year, I cancelled all my races except for 2 that I paid for last winter.  I want to do IM in 2010 and though I could use the practice doing races, I need to continue to save as much as I can so I can afford the IM. 

I would love to have a coach, a tri bike, join a master's swim club, etc. but I would not be able to afford it at all then.  So I read, study, ask, and learn as much as I can so I can do without some of those things.  I don't see me ever making the podium other than in my AG possibly, so the extras will have to wait until I win the lottery.Money mouth

BTW, this site is invaluable for information, support, and education! 

2009-05-13 11:49 PM

User image

Expert
Self employed business owner. Wife is a stay-at-home mom. 1 son starts college (LSU Honors program) this fall on a 90% scholarship, but I am on the hook for dorm and food.

I weigh cost/benefit for everything I buy and generally buy depreciated, used equipment. Tri bike is a 1989 Klein Quantum I bought used in 1994 and recently upgraded. Wife gave me the okay to buy a new Orbea Ordu but I turned her down because that bike wouldn't make me significantly faster, at least not $4000 faster.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you support your "tri lifestyle"? Rss Feed  

of 4