NAS
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 40m 44s
Overall Rank = 1117/2191
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 205/369
Pre-race routine:

No disclaimer as to the length of this diatribe - War & Peace might be shorter - either you read it or you don't, either way it is done.

Ran around the house trying to make sure we didn't forget anything. Jumped in the car for 2.5 days with JR and 3 kids. 1900 miles, 6 states, numerous donkey sitings, refereeing the Welterweight boxing match in the back seat, 3 Kung FU Pandas, 4 Star Wars Clone Wars, too many episodes of Dora the Exploreer to count, and 1,318 "are we there yets", we arrived in sunny Arizona on Thursday afternoon where it was a perfect 80 degrees. Stopped by my Dad's house (2 miles away from the race site) and then headed down to packet pick-up. Got registered by a fellow BTer - SportyJ. Glad I did this on Thursday as it was not busy at all, Friday was a zoo. Friday and Saturday I only spent enough time at the race expo to go for a practice swim and drop off my bike and bags. Met a few people from Wisconsin doing the race. Otherwise, I tried to avoid the activities and hang with my family. Both my brothers came to watch the race, from Denver and Philly, which was way cool, thanks bros. There was a BT get together but decided to skip it to spend time with my family - would have liked to meet all these peeps - maybe next time.
Event warmup:

Hadn't slept well a couple nights before the race, because of Holly and our condo being hot at night (the A/C had a governor on it which wouldn't let it get below 72 degrees - they think that is cold in AZ) so I was afraid I wouldn't get much sleep. Didn't need to worry about that, went to sleep at 8:00 pm and managed to sleep until 2:00 am. Rolled around til 3:00 and finally got out of bed. 6 hrs of sleep before a race - I'll take that.
Had chocolate milk, a banana, pudding and some M&M pancakes with peanut butter......hey where did the peanut butter go? Frantically looked thru all the cabinets and couldn't fine it. (Terri had packed it for sanwiches for the kids today). My brother offered to go get some (at 3:30 in the AM), I said no, it's just the first change I'll have to make to my plan, which I'll have to do all day. Kissed the MRS and the chitlins then headed to the race about 5:00 AM. My brothers would not drive me to the race. They made me drive because if we got a speeding ticket or in an accident on the way it would be my fault if I missed the start of the race and not theirs.

My younger Bro, Brett, hung with me around transition while my older Bro, Joel, went to pick up JR and the kiddos. It was dark and chilly - only 55 degrees. Checked my bike, dropped off bottles and nutrition, and went on a search for a port a potty for one last stop (why is it there are never enough of these at any race?). Walked a 1/4 mile and found no lines at the POP by the med tent. Wandered back to transition with Brett. They gave the 15 minute warning for the pro start, so I put on my wetsuit, packed my dry clothes bag, gave my Brett a man hug and procedeeded to the swim start.
Swim
  • 1h 12m 17s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

There was a massive clusterf&$k where you jump in the water because no one wanted to get in the "cold" water - officially 63 degrees - which is a lot warmer than the HIM in Lake Michigan this summer. While we were waiting to get in - one of the pros goes flying thru the line about 30 seceonds before his start - talk about waiting to the last minute. I finally got in the water 12 minutes before the start because once your in the water there is a 200 yd swim to the start line. Got to the start and decided to go for the middle/inside because there was almost no people. Everyone was on the outside, either hoping to cut the curve in the river or because they were cold and standing on the waters edge. Had 5 minutes to just chill and soak it all in. The sun was just starting to rise, there were tons of people standing on the shore and the bridge above, so this is Ironman. I was surprisingly calm and not nervous at all, why I have no idea, but I just soaked it all in. One last look behind me, and there were tons of people still swimming to the start line and many who were not even in the water yet......when BOOM.

This had to be the most uneventful swim start at a tri I have ever had. I read all the horror stories and expected the worse and got...nothing. Settled into a good rythm very early, bilateral breathing, and good siting (almost impossible not to do well at this race because the shoreline follows the entire swim) It was neat seeing the fancy high-rise condo buildings, the mountains, and Sun Devil stadium as I was swimming. Half-way to the turnaround is when the meleee started. There is a curve in the lake so I had to curve right back into the people who started on the outside and had a straight shot. Forunately this was short and lasted only 5 minutes of so. Hit the turn and was headed for home when my right calf started to cramp. Worked it out while I kept moving forward, then my left calf cramped, worked that out. My calves continued to cramp the entire second half of the swim - I am assuming this was from the cold water. Found some clean water on the outside all the way back so no drafting. Turned the last buoy and headed for shore. The last 150 yds was the worst as everyone started to race to get out of the water - I kept the same pace - what the hell - I only had another 11-12 hrs to go, why hurry? Besides, I was reveling in finishing my first Ironman swim and wanted to soak up all of the experience I could. Swam right up to the steps, stood up and climbed out of the water, saw the clock 1:12 and change, - man I rocked that thing. Ran a short distance and found 2 strippers (the closest I have ever been to one - but no poles around and I had no singles anyway) and my suit was off in a nano second. They helped me up when, WHAM, BANG, POW, my right hammy cramped like you wouldn't believe.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing. I did not push myself, rather kept a steay pace, and probably could have pushed it the second half, but I am very very happy with this swim. Did I say I was happy with this swim?
Transition 1
  • 10m 39s
Comments:

This sucked for various reasons. The run to transition is long anyway, but much longer when you are hobbling on a cramping hammy and wondering how this was going to effect your day. I took my time and walked the best I could. Saw Terri and gave her a big kiss said hey to the rest of my support staff and contiued to hobble on. Got my own transition bag, got to the changing tent, and what a zoo. Took a minute to finally get a chair and sit down. The cramp started to go away while I emptied my bag and got all my bike stuff on. There seemed to be only a few of those magical volunteers to help in the tent so I had to sort thru all my own stuff and pack it up myself. Left the tent and had a nice lady put on lots of sunscreen, I didn't want my pale fall Wisconsin skin to burn, so I had here put on a second coat. Found my bike and was off.

Nothing with the cramping issue. Without the cramps - I would not go in the changing tent and do everything outside and also run thru transition instead of walking
Bike
  • 6h 20m 36s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Leaving transition you wind thru the park for a couple hundred yards down a chute where with many people along the route - very cool. As soon as I left the park, I headed east and straight into the wind. Everyone was hoping it would not be windy but none of us were counting on it. No big deal I was prepared for this and dropped into the small chain ring for the ride out. My leg cramp went away which I was very greatful for. I started on nutrition after 10 minutes. I was very conscience about eating after by BTFU at Spirit of Racine HIM this summer. Kept an even pace out and up the hill dropped to 12 mph at one point, people coming down were looking relaxed so there must be something different. I reached the turn around dropped in the large chain ring and was able to do 28-30 mph down the hill and 20-21 on the flats. I grabbed water at every station and not once dropped a bottle (small goal but a goal none the less). However, at the bottle drop I was never able to throw a bottle in the garbage can on the fly. I was really diligent of my pace and surroundings which was difficult with the amount of people on course. There was lots of marshals watching for drafting.

Stooped to pee around mile 28. Coming back into town near the end of the loop I saw my support crew gave them a shout and said I'll be back in a few. Reached the turnaround and heard my name as I announced as I headed back out for loop 2. I was happy with this loop.

2nd loop - I stopped to see the family, kisses, high fives and a quick chat before leaving town. Somewhere after this is where I mentally checked out - on the first lap your getting familiar with the course, starting your nutrition, and everything is a new - on the second lap I was thinking c@#p I have to do this one more time after this. Had to stop and pee twice. The wind had changed and was sort of swirling not quite in the face and not quite at the back for the return. Couldn't find the right gear. I should have increased the pace from the start but didn't realize it. Had to stop and pee twice. Dehydration would not be a problem today. Was disappointed with this loop.

3rd loop - decided it was time to buckle down. 80-90 miles is where the race starts I hear. After stopping by the family for more hugs, kisses, high fives, and picture ops I made a conscience effort to maintain speed on the out. I did and averaged 16 mph where the first and second loop I was doing 12 - what's up with that? Got to the top of the hill and rewarded my self with my last pee stop of the bike, got on the bike, ready for the downhill and low and behold - the wind is out of the complete opposite direction from where it was this morning and blowing in my face on the downhill. I just kept my nose down and tried to grind out the last 18 miles home. The ride back was uneventful but looky there it is the same Cactus for the 6th time - I was ready for a change of scenery.

Nutrition ont he bike was good - 1,500 cal/Infinit, 1 clif bar, 4 fig newton and 3 Hammer gels. Stomach was good an never acted up.

1st loop - 2:02:33 - 18.28 mph
2nd loop - 2:10:11 - 17.2 mph
3rd loop - 2:07:53 - 17.51 mph

Not drink as much water that's for sure.
Kept my head in the game the 2nd loop and paid more attention to the changing conditions.
Pedal faster?

Transition 2
  • 04m 43s
Comments:

I love riding into transitiona and being able to just hand your bike to someone else to deal with - too bad this isn't practical for the shorter tris. Found my own bag, again, changed into tri shorts for the run, packed my own bag, again, glided the feet, changed shoes, grabbed fuel belt and the ugly shirt, got lathered with sunscreen again and was off.

Find a volunteer to pack my schtuff for me, otherwise, this was a good transition for me.
Run
  • 4h 52m 29s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran out of transition and put on the Ugly shirt. The ugly shirt is a travelling trophy in my family. My dad wanted to wear this shirt out on his 60th B-day and we wouldn't let him because it is soooo ugly. I ended up hiding it in my brothers bag and ever since it has been passed between family members in suprising ways. There is a picture of it in Joe Runner's album. I wore it as a joke and a way to reward my crew with little humor - after all they have been out there all day. Saw my crew after 1/2 mile or so and everyone got a big laugh out of it. Thanks to everyone that came out - JR and kiddos, dad, Bonnie, my brothers, terri's sister and husband and their 2 boys, my FIL and MIL. It was a good pick me up to have you all there.

Ran the first 2 miles straight then went into my run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute plan. Worked pretty well but aid stations weren't always timed right so I just made it up as I went. The first loop went by pretty good but it was definitely hot outside and the course has zero shade and I was starting to fatigue.

I ran by the transition area where most of the people are and I hear "Hey its a donkey - I'm trixie". Didn't stop to chat because I was too busy dying from the heat but thanks for the shout out Trixie. I had so much support out there from people for two reasons - 1) its Ironman and 2) SOOO many people love the Donkey jersey and give shout outs to the donkey its unbelievable. I even got a "Hear comes a Jack Ass" shoutout from one of the announcers on the course. So let it be known that the Donkey Nation is all around.

Saw the family again at the beginning of second loop. The second loop (miles 10-16) was the toughest part of the day for me. It was hot and all I wanted was for the sun to go down. Saw a Playtri jersey ahead of me so I stopped and introduced myself to JeepFleeb. He was having a tough run, stomach wasn't cooperating. Chatted for a few minutes then I was off. Started to get a blister on my right big toe but didn't want to stop.

Third loop - stopped and talked with the family, again, and told Terri I was going to give whatever I had as the sun had fibnally set and I was feeling much better without all the heat. Stopped at the blister station at mile 19.5. They taped up my toe and I was off. I started to run aid station to aid station and even skipped a few. I was on the last lap to becoming an Ironman and was determined to finish strong. You could tell who was on their last lap - they were the only ones running. 2nd loopers were walking or doing the ironman shuffle - I felt bad for them but was so glad I was almost done. Got to the last mile marker and tried to keep pace thru the end - got another shout out from Trixie just before the turnoff to the finish (I alrady had to pass this three times which is demoralizing). Anotehr 200 yds to go and I am Ironman. The first 100 yds as you weave thru a parking lot were weird - there were no spectators. Then all of a the last 100 yds there are people everywhere and you can hear the finish line but not see it yet. Here is where I saw Terri and the crew. The excitement and look on my 2 year olds face when she saw me coming is something that will always stay with me and will never forget. She was very tired at this point of the day but she gave me all she had left. I gave them a big smile (sorry no stopping this time) and made the left hand turn for the finishers shoot. I was giving eveyone I could find high-5's grinning ear to ear as I ran the last 50 yds to the finish line as I crossed I heard the words "Clint Weninger, first time ironman, Clint you are an Ironman".

1st split - 3.5 miles - 35:03 - 10.01 min/mile
2nd split - 8.6 miles - 1:35:05 - 11.06 min/mile
3rd split - 8.3 miles - 1:45:32 - 12.71 min/mile
Final split - 5.9 miles - 56:49 - 9.63 min/mile

Not use fuel belt, I was mored annoyed with it than it helped. Train in more heat to keep acclimated. Not drink as much so I don't have to pee as much (stopped at least 5 times).
Post race
Warm down:

Got caught by two nice ladies, they capped asking me if I was OK what day it was etc. I'm fine no problem. Flop on the ground start to feel like major crap then go to the med tent for 45 minutes. Started to feel better after drinking some gatorade and eating. My brothers got all my stuff which was good and headed home. I wanted to watch late night finishers but just had nothing left. Went back to the condo and fell asleep waiting for pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could have gone faster (not stopping 10x to pee) but wasn't sure what to expect and not sure if I really had much left to give. I finished this race with no regrets and I totally enjoyed every minute of the experience.

I stopped a lot to talk with my family. They earned this Ironman race as much as I did by putting up with me the last 3 months and they deserved to be included in the race and that is what I did. Next time I will not stop (as much) and will actually race. WAIT!. Did I say next time. You darn right I did. Bring on IMMOO 2010. (I already got clearance from the tower).

PS - I think if I were racing with all my Donkey brethren I would have gone faster also.

Event comments:

The Ironman experience as presented by NAS is expensive but worth every penny.

Last updated: 2008-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:12:17 | 4224 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 153/369
Overall: 875/2191
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen Tsunami (Full)
Course: Single counter clockwise loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 10:39
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:20:36 | 112 miles | 17.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 249/369
Overall: 1336/2191
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loop course up hill out, downhill back - and wind who the hells knows which direction.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 04:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:52:29 | 26.2 miles | 11m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 189/369
Overall: 1043/2191
Course: 3 loop clover leaf thingy around the lake with no shade
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-12-05 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2008-12-05 7:45 AM
in reply to: #1839893

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
I'm first! Hey great job out there. The RR was worth waiting for. You have made the Donkey Nation proud! Congrats IronmanSmile
2008-12-05 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI

Congratulations. I am inspired and in awe. It sounds like an absolutely amazing experience!!!

2008-12-05 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Thanks for the tears....the part about Holly....priceless.  Thanks for including us in your big day.  Love you more. 
2008-12-05 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Living in the past

Nice read, Leo Jr., sheez, glad I had some extra food and water along, 'cuz that RR was an EPIC

Congrats on a fine race, Ironman!

2008-12-05 8:41 AM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
That was an awesome race report and worth every minute of the read.  Congratulations on becoming an Ironman.

2008-12-05 8:59 AM

User image

Great RR Clint and congrats. Great accomplishment.
2008-12-05 9:37 AM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
EEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAwesome RR

Really enjoyed reading this and understand everything from your day- It is a great achievement, and the memories can never be taken from you

btw- endurolytes 15 mins before the swim really help to prevent cramping
2008-12-05 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Madison

Great report Ironman Clint!  I love the ugly shirt story and bet your family  really enjoyed seeing it out there on the course!!  Reading your report almost makes me wish I could do an Ironman, but then I regain my sanity.......

Congratulations!

2008-12-05 10:17 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

Great, great report Clint!

You really rocked that bad boy!

It's awesome that you could have so much family there to share in the day and cheer you on.  Despite cramps, and stopping numerous times to pee, you really put up an awesome time!

Bit of a chance I might join you at IMOO 2010.  Now, keep those legs rested, we have a long b-ball season to go!

2008-12-05 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Awesome Job my Donkey friend! Great report too, almost makes you want to do an Ironman.

2008-12-05 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Great race report, congrats on the finish!

2008-12-05 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Clint - Awesome Job!  Way to represent the donkey nation down there.  And you are right, you would have gone much faster had we all been down there.  I don't think you will have any issues in 2010, as I heard that only Donkeys will be allowed that year [btw, way to get clearance on that so quickly...I bet it cost me a lot more than you ]. 

And very nice RR.  Now i know why it took so long.  I especially related to the trip down there.  Holly's parents live in St. Louis and every trip down there seems the same as you described.

Great Job!!

2008-12-05 4:56 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Welcome to the club, fellow IronDonkey!!  EEEAAAWWW!!!

A great report to read, too!  I suffer the same issue with cramps and will use Chris' suggestion.

So, that's why you didn't attend the Badger game the day before.   *thanks for the tickets!*

2008-12-05 6:21 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
Great report...what an awesome swim...and nice bike splits!!!! Congrats
2008-12-05 6:48 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Great job out there Clint, super job IRONMAN!

2008-12-05 7:20 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

great job Clint!!!!

2010 huh??

2008-12-06 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Totally worth the wait!!!!!  Loved the race report!  I am so excited for you!  Now, I have a IM Moo loop biking partner Laughing.  I will be hitting you up for lots of advice that year, so get ready! 
2008-12-06 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome Job congratulations!!! Way to reverse split the run totally IMPRESSIVE
2008-12-07 3:24 PM

User image

Champion
Racine, WI
You did an AMAZING job! Congrats IRONMAN and you are definitely an inspiration!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed