General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan Suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-05 5:37 PM

User image

Subject: Training Plan Suggestions

My first post, I think.

I'm looking for a little help with choosing a training plan and will take any and all advice. At this point I don't feel confident with picking one and have this little voice in my head telling me that if I don't get the right one I'll be wasting time (a little over the top, I know).

Anywho, a little background.  I've been out of shape for about four years now and have some weight to lose (40-50 certainly wouldn't hurt), but have been back at the gym for the past two months. I've been trying to spend about an hour doing cardio each day, 5-6 days a week. I've been doing about 21 miles/hr on bike in the gym (I don't imagine the numbers from these machines reflect reality very well) keeping my HR around 135 bpm. When I run I'm doing around 4.8 miles/hr with my HR around 160 bpm. I'll usually alternate these or split the hour between them. Although a little tired after workouts, I'm far exhausted and always look forward to my gym time.

Up to this point I haven't had any real structure in what I do and I'd really like to get started with a plan of some sort. I don't have access to a pool, but do have a lot of drive/time/flexibility to train. I'm shooting for my first sprint in 7 months. I want to challenge myself. I have no delusions of placing, but I'd like to do more than finish.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2008-12-05 10:40 PM
in reply to: #1841008

Champion
Subject: RE: Training Plan Suggestions

I think if you get one of the levels of paid membership here at BT, then you can choose among several that they offer.  It's a bargain, seeing as how you'd pay a lot more for a structured plan set up by a coaching service.  You can make out your own plan, using resources on the web, but there is a lot to be said for having all the details worked out for you in advance.  It's much simpler, especially for someone just getting going.  Once you've been training a while, you'll find it's easier to tweak a plan, or even come up with your own.  But that takes some knowledge about how your body is going to react to multisport training.  A lot of times, people tend to get in over their heads, get super psyched up about diving into a new endeavor, and as a result it's easy to over-do things a bit.  The last thing you want it to develop injuries, particulary from running.  It's easy to do if you try and pile on too much.  Following a set plan can save you from that.  Take a look at the BT plans...I think you'll definitely find one to fit your situation!

2008-12-06 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
It sounds like you are definitely on the right track. I agree, a structured training plan is the way to go. I did my first couple of tri's using the free training plans on this site. The paid plans are solid too.

If you are more of a book person, my favorite training plans are in Triathlete Magazine's Week by Week training Guide by Matt Fitzgerald. http://tinyurl.com/5mc92wThe book has levels 1-10 for all distances of tri's, so you are sure to find something that meets your needs!
2008-12-06 9:19 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

You sounds like a good candidate for the Beginner Exercise Program created by acbadger.

It's an introductory cycling program designed for the beginner exerciser/triathlete that culminates in a Sprint triathlon. You could jump in at month 2 and use this plan to get you to your first race, or just use 4 months of it or so, at which point you could start using one of the other Sprint plans. But for right now it sounds like just the thing for you. It starts off with strength work and cycling for cardio and then adds running and swimming.

Beginner Exercise Program Month 1

Beginner Exercise Program Month 2

2008-12-08 5:11 AM

User image

I'd suggest you hire a coach who can write a plan for you and follow up with personal attention.

Matt Cazalas
Technical Writer

Network Cables

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan Suggestions Rss Feed