General Discussion Race Reports! » RYKA Iron Girl Tempe Women's Event - 10 Mile Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

RYKA Iron Girl Tempe Women's Event - 10 Mile - Run10 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
RYKA Iron Girl
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 8s
Overall Rank = 71/683
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/165
Pre-race routine:

Had 2 slices of toast with PB and honey, and my mongo-sized coffee.
Event warmup:

Got to the race about 7:15. The 5k started at 7:30, and the 10mile at 8. I was trying to find Lisa before the start of the 5k to wish her luck, but couldn't find her. Kerri quickly spotted me in my day-glow yellow MGD 64 shirt, and hung out with me in the port-a-potty line. It was SOOO COLD. I had a garbage bag around my waist hanging down like a skirt. (I ripped it open at the bottom and had the draw string around my waist). Kept my legs nice and toasty!!!
Run
  • 1h 25m 8s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

We made our way to the starting line, and ran into Kim in her MGD 64 shirt as well. The Aflac duck said "AAFFLLAAAACC" and we were off!!! The crowd is always way too thick in the beginning, so I started my gazelle like jumping in-between people zigzagging my way through the slow people. About a mile in it shakes out and you start to settle in. I only had my top 5 running songs on my iPod, and just let them set my pace. Toward the end Saliva's "Click Click BOOM!" was my total GRRR! pace setter. The further we ran and I realized my stomach was staying with me, the happier I was. About mile 4 I spot Lisa walking towards us, and she ran with me while I found out what her 5k time was. She was going for a PR and she did it!!! After about 2 min she said keeping up with me was going to make her puke so BYE! I was trying to do some quick math, and figured that if I hit the half-way point at 45 min or under, then I would be at a 9min mile, or under. I hit it at about 42:45, so I was happy with that. I just kept plugging along, always mindful of keeping my form. When I get tired, and my form goes to hell, all my energy gets sucked out through my flailing, uncontrolled appendages, and that is no good. Form and pace. Form and pace. You can do this. On the second loop is where people start dropping. It's suddenly occurring to them that they need to run 10 miles. During the last half mile I realized I could push it a bit more, and set my sights on a girl to pick off. I got her right before the final turn into the chute. The finish chute is probably 200 yards long. I started passing chicks left and right, and with 15 ft to go, a chick I passed *THINKS* she is going to re-pass me. OH HEEEEELLLLLLL NO! So I sprinted and put her back in her place: behind me.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked back around so I could see Kerri come in and cheer for her. I then hooked up with Rick and his fam, we then cheered for Kim, and then Lisa finally found us. The only bummer of the race was here. The awesome catered buffet they provide for us to eat on linen covered tables with fresh cut flowers WAS ALL EATEN BY THE 5K HEFFERS! (Sorry Lisa....this doesn't include you.....I know you did not eat more than your share). So all the "I just ran 3 miles....I can eat whatever I want today" chicks hoovered down all the food, and all that was left was literally 20 yogurt cups. I was in the top of the 10 miler pack, and it was all cleared out, tables cleaned up, with just the sad yogurt at the end of a table. So this means it ran out a while ago. Probably before ANY 10 mile girls could get any. So the people who actually DID burn a ton of calories and NEED to eat something, had nothing. NOT HAPPY. So the RD will be getting a note from me. Tastefully worded, of course, but this was a huge disappointment. Kerri had to work, so we all took off. It was a great morning and a great race for everyone!!!

Last updated: 2008-11-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:25:08 | 10 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/165
Overall: 0/683
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops around Tempe Town Lake
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-12-06 5:45 PM

Pro
AZ
Subject: RYKA Iron Girl Tempe Women's Event - 10 Mile

2008-12-06 6:18 PM
in reply to: #1842085

User image

Regular
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: RYKA Iron Girl Tempe Women's Event - 10 Mile

Sweet run!  Way to rock it, T!!!! 

2008-12-06 6:21 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane

You were running so freaking fast when I saw you!!  Way to go!  That is an awesome pace for a 10 miler! BTW, I really appreciate what you were saying to me when we were running like gazelles for that 2 min. :>D

Yeah, I waited to eat with you all so nuttin for me either.  I did enjoy my delicious yogurt cup.  That was a bummer!

Edited by Javamom 2008-12-06 6:23 PM
2008-12-06 7:59 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

WooHoo! Well done. You were running FAST- all that great running training is paying off big time. 

Okay, the food was one of the reasons I was sad to miss that race. I would have been soooo mad! I am always starving after a run! Hope they figure that out for next year! Hope you at least got a cool shirt 

2008-12-08 12:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maricopa, AZ
Very impressive time! That is awesome.
2008-12-08 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Great run Tanya, nice work winning the sprint to the finish!

2008-12-08 11:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Flagstaff, AZ

Awesome race Tanya!  You were flying when I saw you!

If it makes you feel better, my wife did the 5k and said that even before it ran out, it was nothing compared to last year....she described it as akin to a continental breakfast at a cheap motel except they didn't even have coffee. (she finished near the front of the 5k, so she got to see everything before it was gone).

Also the RD could have done better marking the course the 2nd and 3rd  place runners (Katie Ellis and someone else) missed the turn into the parkinglot at Tempe Art Center because there were no markings and the first place woman was so fast that the mountain bike guy who was leading her was out of their sight.

I hope the RD makes some big improvements, it seemed much better last year.

2008-12-09 12:48 AM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Congrats on an awesome race Tanya! Your run training and hard work is really paying off for you! You're doing great!
2008-12-12 12:04 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RYKA Iron Girl Tempe Women's Event - 10 Mile Rss Feed