General Discussion Race Reports! » Snowshoe Race - Tennessee Pass 5 Miler Kick-Off Classic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Snowshoe Race - Tennessee Pass 5 Miler Kick-Off Classic - Run5 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Leadville (Tennessee Pass), Colorado
United States
Pedal Power
20F / -7C
Overcast
Total Time = 57m 17s
Overall Rank = 11/100
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 2/25
Pre-race routine:

Worked until 4AM cuz I had a big rock show at the bar... I had WAY too much fun with my running buddies, Ted and Shauna. That led into some late night debauchery with the bands. I slept on the couch in the club. At 7am Paco, the cleaning guy came in and I woke up. Went over to Safeway and grabbed a Soy Latte from Starfucks and a chocolate chip muffin. I drove home and
jumped in bed with Ramone (Ramone is my dog and yes he is gay). I was about to fall into a deep sleep and then the guilt overtook me since I was talking smack about how I would have no problem racing in the morning. Right! Got up, threw my gear on, Ramone and I jumped in the car and with one eye open, drove up to Tennessee Pass near Leadville, CO. I got to the Nordic hut early and noticed that the Go Lite team was there as well as some other super fast guys I knew from last season. Had some more coffee and tried to prepare myself to race.
Event warmup:

Ran around with Ramone... watched him play with the 8 or 9 dogs running around the ski area parking lot (Ski Cooper).
Run
  • 57m 17s
  • 5 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like shit as soon as I started running. Yesterday I ran up to the top of Vail MTN (Eagles Nest) and then ran really hard on the way back down. My quads were killing me. I started out just behind the leaders but my breathing was erratic and I could tell my leg turnover was slower than usual. As we entered the single track the front group mostly stayed together with infrequent passing. I passed a few and got passed by a few. I was struggling. I developed two side stitches... I fought that off for the first few miles and tried to find a groove. By mile 3 I was making time on the lead group and at each turn I was getting closer. My confidence improved and I really started to hammer. Unfortunately the race was only 5 miles and by the time I got going, I could see the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I did what I could today. I shouldn't have gotten drunk last night but I have no regrets. It was my first snowshoe race of the season and although it was my lowest placing ever, I was only a few minutes behind the winner so it wasn't like I sucked, there was just a lot of talent out there and the technical nature of the course sort of put racers in their place early and passing on the long uphill finish was not really possible. I'll do better next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out in the warming hut and chit chatted with a few guys I met at various winter races last year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stupidity. Running hard down Vail MTN yesterday and getting drunk last night. Also, I am battling an upper-respiratory infection and I was sleep deprived. In addition the course was very soft and slow.

Event comments:

OK, after just returning from a $550 Ironman race where the post race food was Domino's Pizza and salty french fries, I was thrilled to race this $25 dollar event which provided a delicious pesto ziti for vegetarians or a Pasta/Marinara with meatballs, garlic bread, gourmet coffee, homemade cookie, afterwords. First class all the way!

Last updated: 2008-12-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:17 | 05 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/25
Overall: 11/100
Performance: Average
AVG HR 151 MAX HR 173
Course: At 10,00 feet. Starts with a gentle downhill, then hits technical single track though rolling hills until you return up heart attack hill and or something like that and back into technical single track. The course was soft with poor footing from the recent snows.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-12-06 9:00 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: Snowshoe Race - Tennessee Pass 5 Miler Kick-Off Classic

2008-12-07 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1842231

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Snowshoe Race - Tennessee Pass 5 Miler Kick-Off Classic
I've never run a snowshoe race before...sounds like a blast!  Nice job out there...2nd in your AG!  Loose the hangover and get some sleep next time and you'll kick some serious butt!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Snowshoe Race - Tennessee Pass 5 Miler Kick-Off Classic Rss Feed