General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Partial tear of my ACL Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-08 11:16 AM

NJ
Subject: Partial tear of my ACL

I partially tore my ACL while training in TaeKwonDo a couple of years ago, but was told that I probably wouldn't need to replace. Needless to say I haven't been back to TKD for a year because I kept thinking of my knee and martial arts doesn't translate very well if you are constantly worried about getting hurt, but have since discovered Triathlons. I have done my first sprint tri this past September....I'm hooked. My fear is getting half way through a season and I blow it out totally. Should I get it fixed now? The funny thing is that I have no pain and I pretty much do whatever I want as far as Tri's go. No Pain when I train.

Any thoughts? I just don't want to give up a year of rehab, especially since I'm already 45.

2008-12-08 11:26 AM
in reply to: #1843660

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Partial tear of my ACL
Partially torn my ACL 15 years ago and I've never had it fixed. I'm not out playing football or soccer or anything like that so it's not a big deal. I don't plan to have it repaired unless it starts giving out. Now it's very stable so I have no concerns.
2008-12-08 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1843679

NJ
That is good to hear. Thanks.
2008-12-08 4:14 PM
in reply to: #1843660

User image

Veteran
The Ocean State

I tore mine completely playing soccer in Jan '06 and debated replacement surgery or not. My doc made the decision for me by stating something along the lines of " If you want to participate in sports that require pivoting, cutting or quick turns then get it replaced. If you are content with sports that require only moving forward or backward in straight lines then you can probably forgo the surgery and deal. However, by not replacing you are risking meniscal damage by having a compromised knee joint." I knew I wanted to return to soccer so I chose the replacement, rehabbed for 6 months then started back into running. At 9 months I was back playing soccer albeit a little slower at first. Just over a year post surgery I found this crazy sport. BTW - I'm 42 now so a couple of years behind. I guess the decision depends on what you think is best for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Partial tear of my ACL Rss Feed